ROUND 3: DonutsGalacticos vs Vuvuzelabzz

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 3: DonutsGalacticos vs Vuvuzelabzz

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:19 pm

This is the thread for the round 3 matchup of DonutsGalacticos versus Vuvuzelabzz. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 3: DonutsGalacticos vs Vuvuzelabzz

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 am

Best high singing: http://picosong.com/YvHw/ (Andrew Mailloux)

Best vocal arrangement: http://picosong.com/YvHn/ (Morgan Sorne)

Everything here besides the percussion is voice. The synth/bass/flute/whatever sound in the background is throat singing and the rest is pretty obviously voice.

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:07 am

Best vocal arrangement: Arnim (2:48-3:10)

Best high singing: Zach De La Rocha (3:38-4:06)

DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:37 am

High Singing
Mailloux: Rishloo guy impresses again. Not too much on the high singing (comparatively anyway), but it certainly is powerful and sounds very good. 4/5
de la Rocha: Really not much on the singing side here. Super repetitive and unimpressive. 1.5/5

Vocal Arrangement
Sorne: Spectacular. New best-in-category. Throat singing is much more appreciated in this one lol 5/5
Arnim: Decent falsetto harmonies, I think there were lows in there too? Wish is was more prominent. 2.5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:38 am

Best high singing
Zach: Sorry dude but I just can't give this a good score when he's just shouting the same line over and over without any melodic significance to what's going on around him. However his tone and control is generally good so 1.5/5.
Andrew: I was expecting a bit more from Mailloux but this is as usual with him really good sounding singing. 4/5

Best vocal arrangement
Sorne: Fantastic. He really gets the haunting vibe of the original here in his own unique way. 5/5
Arnim: Meh I get there's two voices here but nothing else about the arrangement is interesting. 1.5/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:52 am

High Singing

Rishloo guy- Great high singing from Mailloux as always 4/5
de la Rocha- You'll probably get knocked down a lot for this but I dug it so 3/5

Vocal Arrangement

Arnim- What... I don't see the arrangement 1/5
Sorne- Loved that atmospheric feel 4/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 am

Best high singing:
Rishloo guy - Really strong and powerful, doesn't especially high for him at first but hey dat F♯5. 4/5
Zack - Eh, I've heard higher and more powerful stuff from him, plus it's not really interesting enough to really suit this category in my view, I'll give an extra .5 anyway since it's still great song and passage outside of the context of the category. 1.5/5

Best vocal arrangement:
Sorne: Pretty natural fit for this category, the guy knows how to use his voice like an instrument and the fact he handles all those sections so well shows quite a bit of versatility, great interplay between the "bass", falsetto and lead sections and creates quite a nice ambient effect. 5/5
Arnim - An okayish falsetto doubling, but considering I found the song fairly boring to begin with it doesn't really add much to it, especially since it's quite a short section. 2/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:03 am

Best High Singing

Mailloux: Rishloo guy strikes again. I really dig his MJK-esque tone. Pity that the clip was too short. 3,5/5

De La Rocha: The song was relatively good, but your pick barely has any melodic lines at all. 1/5

Best Vocal Arrangement

Sorne: Nailed it. Angelic-sounding, the tone he is using to create the choir-effect is simply amazing, plus the arrangement is simply fantastic. 5/5

Arnim: I like the bouncy sound of the overall song, very fun sound. There isn't much on the vocal harmonies though, the falsetto vocals were fun and I liked the sound, but the whole sound isn't a very good example of vocal arrangement. 3/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiralStatic on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 pm

High Singing
Mailloux: Great power and control, I see now why everyone here has a man-crush on the guy 4/5
de la Rocha: I'm quite a fan of upper-register rapping, but this doesn't really fit the category 2/5

Vocal Arrangement
Sorne: Beautiful and haunting, great use of counter-melodies 4.5/5
Arnim:  Just a rather simple indie vocal harmony, it fits the song well but it's nothing I haven't heard a hundred times before. 2.5/5
SpiralStatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:33 am

Best high singing:

Mailloux: Technically solid but didn't really appeal to me. Also not too interesting musically. 3/5
de la Rocha: "High notes that sound good and make you go "whoa"." No whoa-inducing singing here. Not even close. 1/5

Best vocal arrangement:

Sorne: Nice fit for the category. 4.5/5
Arnim: I can't say I dislike the singing, but it's just not the best fit for the category.
Just some 08/15 background vocals that aren't really special in any way. 2/5
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:36 am

High Singing
Mailloux: Yet another wicked vocal moment from this powerhouse of a singer. 4.5/5
de la Rocha: Really love this song and Zach's delivery, but as a showcase of higher singing itself, it doesn't really suit the category. It's great singing for the purpose of the song, but not a showcase of de la Rocha's higher register itself. 2/5

Vocal Arrangement
Sorne: Self-explanatory. 5/5
Arnim: I was expecting this guy to be presented in the highs match... Didn't really hear much of layers or vocal arrangements apart from the lead vocal, which sounded good. Either way, not the best choice for this particular category. 2/5
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:24 am

Mailloux/Vuvuzela- This Rishloo dude doesn't cease to amaze me. Funny how this is the same dude that beat me with his insane gritty screaming the other round. Very enjoyable clean tone, and piss easy yet not whiny (I consider that a great, rare feat) extreme highs. 4,5/5

De La Rocha/Donuts- Love the raw emotion on his voice during those highs, that's always been a signature of him. Still it would've been good to hear him doing something else that the same melodic line, and Rishloo dude beats him in technique and tone. Still a great clip. 4/5

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorne/Vuvuzela- I like how the thing got more and more complicated as the song went on. The tone at the beginning sounded a little... I dunno, silly, but this is pretty much the perfect dude for this category, it's like Bobby McFerrin on steroids to say it in few words. 5/5

Armin/Donuts- Well, it was nice. Typical pop hit harmonies, nothing really complicated or inusual here. 3/5
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 pm

High Singing
Mailloux: Outstanding. Agile, powerful, he makes it sound easy... 4.5/5
De La Rocha: Kinda cool, I'll give it that. Sorta shouty... really not sure if it fits the category, since it's not very melodic. 2.5/5

Vocal Arrangement
Sorne: Unbelievable... 5/5
Arnim: Pretty standard stuff. The mix doesn't help it. 2.5/5
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:57 pm

MrToddington wrote:De La Rocha: Kinda cool, I'll give iSorta shouty... really not sure if it fits the category, since it's not very melodic. 2.5/5

It's Zach de la Rocha, man. Without him, the music wouldn't have nearly the same power it has, the 'shoutiness' is perfect for it. With that said, it's indeed a silly choice for highlighting somebody's 'most impressive high singing'.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:13 am

Rapport Rapturer wrote:It's Zach de la Rocha, man. Without him, the music wouldn't have nearly the same power it has, the 'shoutiness' is perfect for it.

Oh I agree, I was just making mention of it due to the category choice.
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 am

Rapport Rapturer wrote:
MrToddington wrote:De La Rocha: Kinda cool, I'll give iSorta shouty... really not sure if it fits the category, since it's not very melodic. 2.5/5

It's Zach de la Rocha, man. Without him, the music wouldn't have nearly the same power it has, the 'shoutiness' is perfect for it. With that said, it's indeed a silly choice for highlighting somebody's 'most impressive high singing'.

Well once again you go blabla without knowing important facts Naughty , if i could i would have chose Arnim and Kurt for this one, Kurt on harmonies probably and without a doubt Arnim for his kickass highs but i think i saw a rule that says: "you shall not pick the same singers you chose last round" and i'm a fair player so i was pretty limitated there. Not everything is as it seems.
And if that rule doesn't exist then it's my mind once again playing tricks on me.
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:50 am

DonutsGalacticos wrote:i think i saw a rule that says: "you shall not pick the same singers you chose last round" and i'm a fair player so i was pretty limitated there. Not everything is as it seems.
That's correct, however you get to see the next round's topics at the same time, so you could've arranged it in a usable way. Razz
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 am

MrToddington wrote:
DonutsGalacticos wrote:i think i saw a rule that says: "you shall not pick the same singers you chose last round" and i'm a fair player so i was pretty limitated there. Not everything is as it seems.
That's correct, however you get to see the next round's topics at the same time, so you could've arranged it in a usable way. Razz

Maybe but i thought i had a better grip on the 2nd round, it was safer to put agressive distortion by arnim and softer singing by kurt than anything by Zach. So i chose to lose weight in this round. And yes this is an infinite loop cause you could tell me that i could have thought about it on the 1st round.
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:58 am

DonutsGalacticos wrote:
Rapport Rapturer wrote:

Well once again you go blabla without knowing important facts Naughty

Popcorn
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top