ROUND 2: Shikkaku vs Big Brother

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 2: Shikkaku vs Big Brother

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:20 pm

This is the thread for the round 2 matchup of Shikkaku versus Big Brother. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 2: Shikkaku vs Big Brother

Post  Big Brother on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:36 am

Best Distortion - Corey Taylor
http://picosong.com/YUiC/

Corey Taylor's extremely powerful distorted vocals from the Roadrunner United track "The Rich Man". There's some clean singing in the middle, but I wanted both ends of the track and I felt taking out the middle would give a disjointed feel.

Best Soft Singing - Michael Jackson
http://picosong.com/YUit/

Michael gives some gentle soft singing on "Earth Song", very passionate, and then raises his volume somewhat for a delicate, beautiful sound.
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:51 am

This time it was a bit thougher to choose the clips, but here they are.

Best Distorted Tone - Kyo (Dir en Grey) - Bugaboo - http://picosong.com/YdNd/

A clip that showcases both raspy and gnarly high singing and Kyo's signature growls and screams.

Best Soft Singing - Damnagoras (Elvenking) - The Divided Heart - http://picosong.com/YrYQ/

The softer side of Damna's voice: some gentle melodious singing from this lovely ballad.
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 am

-Best distorted tone:

Corey Taylor- Holy shit, sounds even rougher than his Slipknot stuff in a relative way. The delivery and tone reminded me a little of typical modern metal rough vocals. Probably not my favorite tone I've heard from him but holy shit, it was fucking awesome. 4/5

Kyo- Maniacal screaming and badass growls all over the place, I particulary dig the final scream before the clip cuts off. Sounds pretty good, techincally impressive as fuck, but not really my vision of a pleasant distorted tone. Gonna have to give the upper hand to Corey here. 3.5/5

-Best use of soft singing:

Michael- Definitely one of his best performances. Really emotional delivery and feather like tone and delivery. Nothing much more to say about this, I really like it a lot. 4.5/5

Damnagoras- Pretty warm and soothing. The little fry micro notes fit nicely too. It's good, but not terribly impressing soft singing. 3.5/5

(An advice for Big Brother: try to upload your clips with better quality than 80kbps. It helps appreacite the sound of the vocals better. Also, the sound of the Michael Jackson clip was insanely low, I had to crank up my volume to hear something.)
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:40 am

Pepe Forever wrote:
(An advice for Big Brother: try to upload your clips with better quality than 80kbps. It helps appreacite the sound of the vocals better. Also, the sound of the Michael Jackson clip was insanely low, I had to crank up my volume to hear something.)

yeah sorry about that, I think I somehow cut the volume while clipping it.
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:46 am

Alternate link in case anyone can't hear my MJ clip. 0:45-1:56
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:42 am

Best distorted tone:
Taylor - Immense, absolutely immense, especially since this is right before his distortion got a bit thinner. 5/5
Kyo - Well, certainly quite a few different distorted approaches here, the scream was prolly my favourite part, altho I will say the growls seemed a bit muffled. 3.5/5

Best use of soft singing:
MJ - This works really well dynamically in the song, especially since even at the end of this clip you can hear the tension starting to build as he shifts in volume, the phrasing and delivery works really well too. 4/5
Damnagoras -Okayish sound, altho I didn't find anything in the passage too interesting. 3/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am

Distorted Tone
Corey: Excellent harsh tone. Corey roars with the best of 'em. 5/5
Kyo: Impressive varied techniques here. People are going to complain about un-musicality, but this is about the distortion, which was spot on. 5/5

Soft Singing
MJ: Pleasant enough, he has a natural advantage with how gentle his voice already is. Didn't find myself impressed at all though. 2.5/5
Damnagoras: Decent low tone, but I'm not a fan of his delivery, and didn't find anything really worthwhile there. 2/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Distorted tone
Kyo: Eh can't fault the distortion by any means but I really didn't care for the sound or phrasing. 2.5/5
Taylor: Love this section. Definitely one of my favorite Corey Taylor harsh vocal passages and the way it pops out of the softer verses is fantastic! 5/5

Soft singing
Jackson: Very good buildup in this clip and obviously Jackson has the perfect kind of voice for this category. Nonetheless it seemed a tad plain to me for some reason. 3.5/5
Damnagoras: I'm pretty much on the boat with Sherick here. Just kind of a normal tone for singing in that pitch area and didn't strike me as terribly soft or exciting. 2/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Distorted Tone
Taylor: 5/5
I'm definitely not used to listening to this kind of music, but this definitely shows how much vocals alone can shape a song. I was hearing some bizarre echo of some sort near the end but that wasn't affecting the tone.
Kyo: 3/5
I'd say the context is more interesting, because I'm imagining a child having a temper tantrum during this clip; though most children don't intend to using techniques like this. Using it tastefully is another challenge.

Soft Singing
Jackson: 4/5
Definitely an enjoyable example of soft singing, though I'm not necessarily floored by it or anything. Considering it's the best use of soft singing, I was happy about the lack of extra instrumentation so I could focus on the voice.
Damnagoras: 3/5
It's hard to differentiate soft singing from the beautiful tone category we had earlier, but regardless I'd say it's an okay example.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 pm

Best distorted tone:

Taylor: Very cool stuff. 4.5/5
Kyo: Cool, but a bit weird. 4/5

Best use of soft singing:

Jackson: Very pleasant stuff. It's obviously easy for him to do that kind of thing, but that doesn't take away from it. 4/5
Damnagoras: Decent, but not all that soft. 2.5/5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top