ROUND 2: PepeForever vs Saint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 2: PepeForever vs Saint

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 pm

This is the thread for the round 2 matchup of PepeForever versus Saint. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 2: PepeForever vs Saint

Post  Saint.0 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:49 am

Best Distorted Tone: Lisa Gerrard
It's not the particular distortion I think you guys all seem to be gravitating toward but the use of vibrato is intense and is possibly the fastest I've ever heard with little to no effort. A very different sort of delivery from Ms. Gerrard.
1:58-2:54

Best Use Of Soft Singing: Tori Amos
An emotional vocal delivery that reveals a lot of pain.
4:35-5:44(End)
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:08 am

Saint you already use those same two singers in the last round, so you have to use Brendan Perry for one of the categories this time.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:16 am

Whackooyzero wrote:Saint you already use those same two singers in the last round, so you have to use Brendan Perry for one of the categories this time.

Hmmm, I looked through his songs for about two hours and couldn't really get the desired effect but here is my revision.

Best Use Of Soft Singing: Brendan Perry

This one shows his more subdued singing and is rather hypnotic. The other singer of Dead Can Dance. Smile

0:44-2:10

So yes, I will take out the Tori Amos clip.
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:31 am

Ok, here we go again. This time I'm gonna leave the YouTube links and timestamps, too lazy to upload the stuff to Picosong right now

-Best distorted tone:

Layne Staley - Would? (Alice in Chains):

This titan of distortion already run for this same category on the test round, so sadly, I can't (or really shouldn't) use "Love, Hate, Love" again. Instead I though now a nice fit would be "Would?", the epic ending of the excellent "Dirt". Though the tone gets a little cleaner on some parts, he sounds fantastic here while hitting the higher notes and the grittier "If. I. Would. Could. You?" notes at the are the best way to end both the song and the album.

2:20 until the end

-Best use of soft singing:

Ville Valo - Gone With the Sin (HIM):

This one could've easily gone for "Best Low Singing" in the last round. The song starts with nothing but Ville's silky smooth baritone almost softly whispering in the 2nd octave over some keyboards. As the track goes on, Ville doubles the melody one octave higher, creating a kind of angelish choir effect.

From the beginning to 2:06 as these things are supposed to be no longer than two minutes, though the whole performanced is filled with suave singing until the end.
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 am

Distorted

Gerrard- No distortion but I loved the clip so 2/5
Staley- Love this passage. Would give it a 5 it was a better fit for the category 4/5

Soft

Perry- Not all that soft but cool dark tone and delivery 3/5
Valo- Sex 4/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:06 am

Best distorted tone:
Gerrard - I actually kind of appreciate you went with a more unconventional sort of distortion rather than the the usual gritty approach us metlaheadz are used to, since as you noted the vibrato is so bizarre and unique it creates a sort of natural tremolo effect, where the flucuations in pitch are just so rapid it sounds like the volume is being manipulated as well. 4/5
Layne - Always was a fan of his gritty approach to his higher mid range, and this is the song that initially made me pay attention to his voice in the first place, with his grit in particular standing out quite well, the last "BAAAAACK THEEEN" always gives me chills. 4.5/5

Best use of soft singing:
Perry - While tone-wise he isn't very soft at all, as a matter of fact his tone seems naturally quite dark, the overall melody and delivery is quite soft and soothing in a way still and pretty chill as well as somewhat meditative. 4/5
Valo - As with Perry, Ville's tone is naturally dark but there again the overall delivery and ambience is quite relaxed, with his voice blending fairly well with the minimalist approach the song starts off with and is still able to match the cadence when the song picks up slightly. 4/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:16 am

Best Distorted Tone

Gerrard: Before everybody says that "this isn't distorted", let's all remind what distortion means: basically is the alteration of the original shape of something (an image, a waveform, anything). Also:

Whackooyzero wrote:
Best distorted tone: Show us one of your singers going all at it with distortion. This can be of any kind or texture. Preferably between 10 seconds and 2 minutes.

On the clip itself, holy hell!!! Really haunting sound, the lightning-fast vibrato she uses sound like the vocals were manipulated electronically (it sounds like that ring-modulated stuff you hear on The Mars Volta records Razz). I completely agree with Sandblasted here, this isn't the more conventional approach we metlaheadz think of, but is a very interesting and crazy sound. 4/5

Staley: Well, this is the kind of distortion we metlaheadz/rockerz/grungz usually think of Very Happy. A quite softly applied distortion, quite pleasant. Good pick. 4/5

Best Soft Singing

Perry: The tone per se isn't very soft, but the execution of the clip is pretty laid-back, but used in a really brooding, maybe unsettling context. A very "nihilistic" tone. Cool clip, and the whole composition is pretty nice! 3,5/5

Valo: Nothing less than Mr. Valo's signature crooning. Pretty powerful low notes as well. This is not my favorite passage from him, but a good pick anyways. 4/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 am

Distorted Tone
Gerard: I really don't understand your reasoning on this. I'm not really noticing the vibrato you're talking about, and even if I did, that doesn't really have much to do with distortion. 1/5
Staley: So many better choices for this category. The times he does use grit are good as expected, but aside from the one sustained note at the beginning and the few that follow, not much there. 2/5

Soft Singing
Brendan: Strong and haunting. I wonder why you didn't use him for best low passage. Just decent singing, but it works. 3/5
Valo: Sexy lows, and the upper harmony really helps the "soft" feel. 3.5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Distorted tone
Gerrard: I just can't hear it sorry but I dig the sound as is. 2/5
Staley: Oh come on man why didn't you use Real Thing? That would've been kickass! 3/5

Soft singing
Perry: Always dig Perry's tone and this is no exception. While it's no more soft than normal for him it still sounds great and fits the category well enough. 3.5/5
Valo: Really nice lows as usual with Valo and he gets quite a chill tone out of his delivery here too. 3.5/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm

Best distorted tone:

Gerrard: It's a cool clip, but you'd have been better off using it in the vibrato category when it comes up. 1.5/5
Staley: It's pretty good, but not all that impressive by Layne's standards. Should've gone with the ending of "Love, Hate, Love" imo. 3/5

Best use of soft singing:

Perry: Love Perry's tone, but other than a few moments there's not too much soft singing. 3/5
Valo: Cool tone and it fits the category, but the soft singing itself isn't that appealing. 3.5/5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top