ROUND 2: Kepp vs Whackooyzero

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 2: Kepp vs Whackooyzero

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:09 pm

This is the thread for the round 2 matchup of Kepp versus Whackooyzero. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 2: Kepp vs Whackooyzero

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Alright here are my clips.

Best distorted tone:
Dan Swano: http://picosong.com/YUqX/
Swano is known for his formidable death growls but is also capable of strong gritty normal singing as well. This clip demonstrates both, with some massive growls at first followed by intense singing in the G4 area. Song is Witherscape's The Wedlock Observation.

Best use of soft singing:
Floor Jansen: http://picosong.com/YUki/
Here's a cool clip from After Forever's Beautiful Emptiness where Floor shows her formidable classical based phrasing and tone in this softer passage. Also ignore the brief growl at the beginning of this clip by Sander Gommans 'cause I couldn't find an even way to edit it out.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Here are my own:

Best distorted tone - Arthur Lee "Singing Cowboy"

2:58 - 3:17

Alright so, i'd like to just say up front that this is not a good category for my singers at all.  It's actually the same category I was in last time that I got pretty bad reviews on so I apologize if this isn't the best example.  Enjoy the "clip"!

Best song singing - Brian Wilson "The Warmth Of The Sun"

1:32 - 2:05

This is probably one of my favorites songs.  I think the singing here is absolutely beautiful.  These are my favorite lines out of the song lyrically.  I hope that it resonates with some of you as well.

Last edited by Kepp on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Distorted Tone
Swano: Perfect death growling pretty much nails this cat, and excellent gritty belting is a nice touch. 5/5
Lee: Yep, you pretty much called it, lol. The distortion actually isn't bad, it's just that he isn't doing hardly anything with, aside from one scream. Actually, you should have extended the timestamp to 3:40, cause that ending scream is very good and I missed it the first time. 2.5/5

Soft Singing
Floor: Great operatic technique while managing not to sound too overly dramatic (something my pick has a hard time with). Soft highs and nice melisma. 3.5/5
Wilson: Trademark Wilson soft falsetto. Can't go wrong with that, but the rest is rather unimpressive. 3/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Distorted

Swano- Pretty fantastic, actually. This really makes me want to listen to some Swano, I really dig both styles of his singing. Great choice here 4/5
Arthur Lee- Wow, I really, really enjoyed this. He reminds me of Iggy Pop in his early records, great tone. 4/5

Soft

Jansen- Ehhh... it was pleasant enough, and I can't find anything really wrong with it but for some reason it just didn't click with me 3/5
Wilson- Cool, pleasant sound. Didn't really wow me though 3/5

Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks for the good reviews guys. I am happy that you enjoyed that clip Jesus. I think that singing is primal as hell. About the Wilson clip, I admit it's not really that impressive but I still think it's very beautiful soft singing. I'm looking forward to the reviews of some of the users here.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Best distorted tone:
Swano - Nice show off of his über manly grit, growls are a nice mix up as well and in general I just really enjoy Swano's sound in this area. 4.5/5
Arthur - I'm still getting quite a bit of the Morrison vibe (assuming it's the same one I'm thinking of), he's aided a bit here by the fact he's clipping the mic for added distortion at points yet there's still a bit of nice natural grit in there as well, as Sherick said it gets a bit better afterwards. 3.5/5

Best soft singing:
Floor - Nice use of the classical sound w/o overdoing the dramatic-ness, has a very "pretty" sound to it as well and is a pretty pleasing passage overall. 4/5
Wilson - Pretty much what you would expect from him, nice warm and pleasing tone which fits the mood well, even tho it's super interesting in terms of melody. 3.5/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Distorted tone
Swano: Amazing death growls and the grit afterwards is also stellar. 4.5/5
Lee: It's really hard to tell how much distortion is actually there; there's quite a bit of audio clipping there. It seems there's at least some distortion, and I'll give the benefit of the doubt in regards to grit here. 3/5

Soft singing
Jansen: Not bad, I do like that sorta classical style there. 4/5
Wilson: Pretty pleasant! Really liked those higher notes towards the fadeout (don't know why you didn't just say 1:32-2:50 instead Razz). 3.5/5
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Distorted Tone
Lee: 3.5/5
Here's the deal, Kepp. I was a bit concerned with your choices for the competition, but this was definitely better than your previous example of distortion. I liked the screams after your timestamp, and although there's some audio clipping, I still like this clip. Love fans, unite~  Dance 
Swano: 4/5
I'd have to say I'm not really into these growling segments; however, I was impressed with the next segment.

Soft Singing
Jansen: 3.5/5
I have higher standards for female singers. To be honest the segment's a bit boring but we should all be thankful she's not overdoing it. That's a massive turnoff to me with female singers in general.
Wilson: 3.5/5
Again, it became more interesting after your timestamp. I think more than one person's previously stated you could've stretched it to the very end.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 am

Best Distorted Tone

Swano: Amazing thick tone on the growls, but I'm not as a fan of the cleaner vocals. That grit just didn't click with me. 4/5

Lee: I like the song as a whole, but this passage (as you personally pointed) is not the best example of distorted vocals at all. There is some distortion there, but it is applied pretty badly and the resulting tone is quite bad. 1/5

Best Soft Singing

Floor: I'm not personally a fan of the "operatic" style of female singers, but this was decent. She used the "classical" style well without overusing the classically-influenced elements (vibrato, volume control, vowel shape) and thus making it bearable. 3/5

B. Wilson: Okay-ish sound, not really impressive technically or anything, but decent,. 3/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks Holsety and Shikkaku. Although, I am quite surprised you (jever) say that the Wilson singing isn't that impressive technically. I don't know any singers personally who could come close to nailing that sound. I appreciate your review though.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:02 pm

I don't know, maybe it was me that listened and reviewed to the clip too hastily and didn't paid attention enough to it, I liked the overall vibe and usage of vocal harmonies, but Wilson's voice just didn't gave me a big impression of "greatness". But then I'm not really familiar with their work, and maybe his voice is that kind of "acquired-taste" singer that we need some time to familiarize with. I want to listen to more of their stuff later.
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Yeah, it usually is like that actually. Some people don't like Brian's voice at all. Seriously though, try to imitate that sound. To me, it is technically pretty impressive. It's not THAT hard but to get a tasteful sound with that approach is pretty tough i'd say. I guess that's not really important though, I just posted it because it was beautiful "Song" (soft) singing haha.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top