Batubagan (Hanggai)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Batubagan (Hanggai)

Post  Roehoer on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:59 am

Voice type: Baritone
Sung range: F1-C4

Significant high notes:

C4 ("Gobi Road")
A3 ("Five Heroes", "Wuji(Mountain Top)", "Gobi Road", "Yekul Song(live)")
G♯3 ("Huhe Namjila")
G3 ("Drinking Song(live)", "Yekul Song", "Xiger Xiger", "Gold Buttons")

Significant low notes:

E2 ("Xiger Xiger")
D2 ("My Banjo And I", "Five Heroes", "Haar Hu", "Wuji(Mountain Top)", "Drinking Song(live)", "Four Seasons", "Gobi Road", "Cha Har", "Xiger Xiger", "Hanggai", "Juan Zou De Ren(He Who Travels Far", "Togur Jin Shan", "Hershut Hero", "Hong Galau", "Golden Autumn", "Beautiful Mongolian Horse")
C♯2 ("Huhe Namjila")
C2 ("Yekul Song", "Juan Zou De Ren(He Who Travels Far)", "Tavan Hasag", "Hong Galau", "Golden Autumn", "Beautiful Mongolian Horse")
B1 ("Huhe Namjila", "Daya Bala")
B♭1 ("Yekul Song", "Juan Zou De Ren(He Who Travels Far)", "Hong Galau")
A1 ("Four Seasons", "Cha Har", "Hanggai", "Juan Zou De Ren(He Who Travels Far)", "Five Heroes(live)", "Yekul Song(live)", "Gobi Road")
G♯1 ("Huhe Namjila")
G1 ("Juan Zou De Ren(He Who Travels Far)", "Yekul Song", "Hong Galau", "Golden Autumn")
F1 ("Hong Galau")

...................................................................................
*purple marks notes in backing vocals

He is one of the singers of the Mongolian-Chinese band Hanggai. He is a very impressive throat singer and his voice is ridiculously low. It is amazing to watch him sing live, since his appearing doesn't match the sound of his voice at all. I do not expect that much people here know him but I'm so impressed by his work that I just had to make a thread for him. His voice sometimes is hard to pitch, and there are some spots where I am uncertain in which octave he sings. I did not know if I should count overtone-singing as part of his range. Not that it matters too much, because I haven't heard him reach above C4 anyway.

Examples of him singing:

This song is full of deep C2's and a couple of Bb1's. He slides down to a short G1 at 1:02. He takes the melody up 'topping' at G3 at 1:39. It's strange to hear someone working so hard for notes as low as C3.

E2's and D2's and impressive overtone-singing at 3:03

Here's the song Gobi Road with D2's and C4's

And a live version of the same song. His lows are so incredible live! He skips the C4's by the way, because he sings them an octave lower, leaving one of the other singers to sing the higher melody.

Last edited by Roehoer on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batubagan (Hanggai)

Post  Roehoer on Thu May 08, 2014 7:08 am

I was wondering: Is there a signigicant difference on this site, between "Baritone" and "Bass"? Because I've noticed a couple of threads with "Bass" as voice type, and maybe Batubagan should be labeled as a bass as well. Not that it matters, but I was just wondering how you guys determine the difference between Bass and Baritone and what your thoughts are in the case of Batubagan.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:27 am

At 1:15:xx they play Juan Zou De Ren. The G1's from 1:16:15 onward are the most audible G1's I've heard from him, really cool.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 am

I really enjoy this style of singing. But it seems that most of the vocals are done by other members of the band, isn't it?

I'd like to hear more by him, nice loud lows.

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Rodrigo wrote:I really enjoy this style of singing. But it seems that most of the vocals are done by other members of the band, isn't it?

I'd like to hear more by him, nice loud lows.

Yes, he is the most traditional member of the band. Since their approach is that of a mixture of traditional and modern music, his voice doesn't fit most of their songs and it is used for harmonies. Mostly for layering the lead vocals and singing an octave, sometimes even two, below the lead vocals. There are four good singers in Hanggai, the other three have higher and more suitable voices for popular music. Batubagan's lead vocals are for this reason found in all the more traditional songs, such as Yekul Song and Gobi Road. I'm glad you like his voice!

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrChongHead on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:28 pm

At approx 2:43 of Gobi Road, is there a D4?

MrChongHead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:12 am

MrChongHead wrote:At approx 2:43 of Gobi Road, is there a D4?

I hear D3. There are D4's in the song, but they are not sung by him. At the spots where he actually does sing the melody an octave higher he doesn't go higher than C4.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:48 am

I'm 99% sure you're off an octave on all the low notes.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:02 am

Karl wrote:I'm 99% sure you're off an octave on all the low notes.

I have listened to his voice a lot over the past 3 years and I'm 99% sure that the low notes are correct. All those D2's are definitely second octave, as are the C2's in Yekul Song. Most of the first octave notes are short slides from sustained second octave notes with the ones from Juan Zou De Ren as a main exception. What songs make you think that everything is third octave?

If you are only talking of Gobi Road, he switches octaves during the song, so that would mean that those high notes are C5's and that sounds even more unlogical to me.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:35 am

Roehoer wrote:

I have listened to his voice a lot over the past 3 years and I'm 99% sure that the low notes are correct. All those D2's are definitely second octave, as are the C2's in Yekul Song. Most of the first octave notes are short slides from sustained second octave notes with the ones from Juan Zou De Ren as a main exception. What songs make you think that everything is third octave?
The low notes are all an octave higher, because they lack the "boomy" sound of notes at that pitch, and obviously occupy higher frequencies. Also at the timestamp you have provided for the alleged G1 in "Yekul Song", I heard C3 as the lowest, anything lower is exhaled.
Roehoer wrote:If you are only talking of Gobi Road, he switches octaves during the song, so that would mean that those high notes are C5's and that sounds even more unlogical to me.

Roehoer wrote:
MrChongHead wrote:At approx 2:43 of Gobi Road, is there a D4?

I hear D3. There are D4's in the song, but they are not sung by him. At the spots where he actually does sing the melody an octave higher he doesn't go higher than C4.
Definitely D4.

Compare 2:42 with the C4 at 0:49. It's obviously higher.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:44 am

Karl wrote:
The low notes are all an octave higher, because they lack the "boomy" sound of notes at that pitch, and obviously occupy higher frequencies. Also at the timestamp you have provided for the alleged G1 in "Yekul Song", I heard C3 as the lowest, anything lower is exhaled.

That is definitely a sustained C2, not a C3. Listen to live versions, he sings it a full tone higher and sustains a D2 at that point. He slides down from that C2, I agree that it's up for debate if he actually touches G1.

Definitely D4.

Compare 2:42 with the C4 at 0:49. It's obviously higher.[/quote]

It's definitely a D3. You hear harmonies in the background an octave higher go to D4. I am really sure that this is an octave lower than you say.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:50 am

Roehoer wrote:If you are only talking of Gobi Road, he switches octaves during the song, so that would mean that those high notes are C5's and that sounds even more unlogical to me.

As I said, he switches octaves. If the C4 is a C4 and the lowest note in the song is D3, it would mean that he doesn't switch octaves, which he does. You can also clearly hear the difference between the D2's and the D3's. Listen to 0:43 = D3, then to 2:36 = D2

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:58 am

Roehoer wrote:As I said, he switches octaves. If the C4 is a C4 and the lowest note in the song is D3, it would mean that he doesn't switch octaves, which he does. You can also clearly hear the difference between the D2's and the D3's. Listen to 0:43 = D3, then to 2:36 = D2
The difference is the distortion of the vestibular folds giving the illusion of the note being lower.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:07 am

Karl wrote:
Roehoer wrote:As I said, he switches octaves. If the C4 is a C4 and the lowest note in the song is D3, it would mean that he doesn't switch octaves, which he does. You can also clearly hear the difference between the D2's and the D3's. Listen to 0:43 = D3, then to 2:36 = D2
The difference is the distortion of the vestibular folds giving the illusion of the note being lower.

I don't think so. At the live version I posted here you can even hear Ilchi take over the higher melody at 1:11. Batu switches back to the lower melody with D2's, as Ilchi sings the C4 and D4.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:20 am

You aren't getting it at all. There are no D2s or C3s at all, and I've already explained why. Further, very few are going to project D2s so loudly without a microphone. This is all I'm going to say on the matter.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:23 am

Karl wrote:You aren't getting it at all. There are no D2s or C3s at all, and I've already explained why. Further, very few are going to project D2s so loudly without a microphone. This is all I'm going to say on the matter.

Let's agree to disagree

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:37 am

Raspy throat singing =/= extremely low notes. Really, just try throat singing in the third octave and it'll sound lower. This guy is clearly just an expert at that.
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Re: Batubagan (Hanngai)

Post  MrChongHead on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:21 pm

I personally think he does a transition between the notes, as his D4 does sound kind of forced to throat-sing.
EDIT: This link should explain it: http://www.khoomei.com/types.htm

MrChongHead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:02 am

lorax wrote:Raspy throat singing =/= extremely low notes. Really, just try throat singing in the third octave and it'll sound lower. This guy is clearly just an expert at that.

My knowledge on throat singing is very slim, I'm just a fan of this guy's voice. I will look into it and try to understand what you guys are saying. If what you're saying is correct, I will probably have to restart the thread from scratch and relisten his discography since I have always assumed that what my ear was telling me was the truth. I stand corrected and will try and find the time to update this thread.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top