ROUND 1: Monocus vs Mooseyfate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 1: Monocus vs Mooseyfate

Post  Zedd Squared on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:08 pm

This is the matchup for Monocus versus Mooseyfate. Feel free to post your clips and any description you want for them here.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: Monocus vs Mooseyfate

Post  MooseyFate on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:57 pm

Best Vocal Climax: Freddie Mercury - The Show Must Go On
http://picosong.com/YKtr

Probably Freddie's best vocal moment ever, such power and determination coming from a man who's dying of an incredibly painful illness. He really means those words as he climbs defiantly up to the D5. Then, just when you think he's made his point, he does it again a few seconds later.'

Best Low Singing: Serj Tankian - Garana
http://picosong.com/YKDe

Some delicate yet powerful low singing in this song in his native language of Armenian, complete with some shockingly boomy and controlled anacrusis notes that threaten the 1st octave.
MooseyFate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 am

Low Singing: Dan McCafferty - Liar

~3:38-4:22

Nazareth's tribute to George Bush Jr.
Dan takes his gravelly tenor voice surprisingly low, for a cool effect in the context of the song.

Vocal Climax: Glenn Hughes - Nights In White Satin

3:40 onwards

Glenn Hughes giving it absolutely everything.
Insane emotional wailing up to G5 by the old man.
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 am

macfarty - eh nothing very notable but didn't sound terrible 1.5/5

tankman - sounded very pleasant, although not spectacularly low 3.5/5

glenn - fucking amazing can't even jizz enuff 5/5

farrokh - classic near-death soul, i'd feel weird not giving it a 5/5

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:37 am

Best Low Singing

Moosey - Serj Tankien: Quite enjoyable, I dig the warm timbre a lot, although it's not exactly the "lowest" singing. 3/5

Monocus - Dan McCafferty]: The low parts sounds really great and enjoyable (the higher parts sound like he's having gastric problems though). Great fit for the category. 4/5

Best Vocal Climax

Moosey - Freddie Mercury: He is fucking dying and still he could do one of the most impressive pieces of singing EVER recorded. 5/5

Monocus - Glenn Hughes: Excessive melismatic runs and RnB influenced extremely wanky vocal malabarisms are things that I really dislike when talking about vocals. This clip has some really nice moments though, those G5s were freaking absurd and they are enough to give this a 4/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 am

Best Low Singing:

Moosey/Tankian - 3/5 Tankian definitely sounds more comfortable in his mid and low range, and it shows here. the dips down to the lows at the beginning of the lines are relaxed and natural sounding. The only fault is that the rest of the vocals aren't particularly low. Pretty good.
Monocus/McCafferty - 4/5 Big Dan showing he can do more than wail. The lows here are booming and fierce-sounding, and compliment the high-shrieky parts nicely. The vocals also fit in well with the rest of the song too. Very good.

Best Vocal Climax

Moosey/Freddie - 5(00)/5 This performance brings me to the verge of tears every time I hear it. To imagine a frail and near-immobile Freddie Mercury going into the studio and belting out this phenomenal performance is just mind-blowing. I still can't believe it. Other than that, it's a man on the brink of death giving his finest performance and giving more effort than seems humanly possible. Incredible.
Monocus/Hughes - 4/5 Sorry Glenn, there's no competition. Yes, this is a damn fine performance, and that G5 at 55 is pretty damn impressive. But, alas, it gets a bit too wanky for me (Something that does often bother me about Glenn's performances), but it is still an excellent performance, and deserves praise. Great job Glenn, you old fart.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 am

Best Low Singing:

Moosey/Tankian - 3/5 not really low for his voice
Monocus/McCafferty - 4/5 kinda remind me of patton, sounds really good, pretty good sounding lows for a tenor

Best Vocal Climax

Moosey/Freddie - 4/5 nice but i think Mercury has lots of crazy moments on stage that are on another level.
Monocus/Hughes - 4.5/5 crazy stuff
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 am

Best Low Singing

Serj- Seriously beautiful and very dark, resonant sound 4/5
McCafferty- Slick sounding lows, cool stuff, very remniscent of Kiedis's lows 4/5

Best Climax

Freddie- Heartbreaking, powerful, orgasmic, first 5/5 in the contest
Hughes- Pretty powerfull, climactic, but I didn't get any feels from it nor was it particularly gripping 3/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:01 am

Best low singing:
Serj - Eh, very nice soft singing from him, but the lows weren't particularly impressive. 2/5
McCafferty - While the lows were pretty impressive for Don, they're more in the sung/spoken vein so it's kind of stretch to call it singing (in b4 "says the guy who's using Anselmo lolololoolllllolloooo"), even tho as you said they suit the song well enough. 3/5

Best vocal climax:
Freddie - Not much to say that hasn't been said, one of the man's proudest moments, especially nearing his death bed. 5/5
Hughes - A pretty nice climax altho I'm still not a fan of his oversinging. 3.5/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Low Singing
Serj: Still waiting for the lows. 2/5
McCafferty: Damn, would never have expected that. Sounded like Billy Gibbons. Lolzy awful lyrics though 4/5

Climactic Singing
Freddie: I know before I even click it I'm gonna be handing out a high score. One of the most chilling vocal deliveries in history, spine tingling. 4.5/5
Hughes: Damn, this is exactly what I would have expected. 4/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:44 pm

-Best low singing:

Serj Tankian- How come I've never heard such an amazing piece of low vocals by Serj? Very warm tone with some superb phrasing and gracefullness only a master like Serj can deliver. Proof you don't need a super low voice to pull some really delightfull low vocals (and wow, having written this without looking at the replies and now barely taking a peek of the posts before me: I didn't think you guys would be so rough on Serj precisely for "not being low enough"). 5/5

Dan McCafferty- Fryish but nice sounding low vocals. In spite of the fact that you can tell he's completely out of his vocal placement and barely managing to go down there, he pulls it out with very good control and consistency. But in spite of being lower it just can't compete against Serj masterful tone and delivery. 4/5

-----------------------------------------------

-Best vocal climax:

Freddie Mercury- Well, the most obvious choice for this one. This simply doesn't need much words. Emotional singing, emotional instrumentation, emotional lyrics, EMOTIONAL EVERYTHING. Excellent high notes (particullary the first D5 after the climb building up tension). Add that to Freddie having pretty much one of the best tones ever, and... well. If there's an encyclopedia entrance for "vocal climax", it should come along with this audio clip. 5/5.

Glenn Hughes- Oh boy, a true clash of the titans. As insanely perfect as Glenn Hughes is technically, his very delightfull wailing doesn't compare to the raw emotion and beauty displayed by Freddie.  4.5/5 (I'd give it a 4.9 if I could).

(PS: I just realised Serj clip bottoms at D3 without counting all the anacrusis, mini-slides and nanonotes. Well, who gives a shit? Sounds deep enough to be considered low singing in my book.)
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:43 pm

Low Singing
Serj Tankian: Cool, not really "low", but I still thought it was nice. 3/5
Dan McCafferty: Interesting approach, pretty cool rough approach, not bad! 3.5/5

Vocal Climax
Freddie Mercury: Very emotional delivery. Had to listen to it a few times for it to properly sink in how strong it just is. Pretty haunting, in a way. 5/5
Glenn Hughes: Outstanding highs! Hughes seems to be my favourite vocalist I've never checked out. Absolutely great; I can't decide which of the two is better. 5/5
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 am

Best Low Singing:

Tankian: Quite repetitive and not all that low. 2/5
McCafferty: Pretty good lows, nothing special though. 3/5

Best Vocal Climax:

Mercury: Good stuff, but I wish I heard what everyone else seems to. 3.5/5
Hughes: Impressive singing, but the melody and tone in certain parts bring it down for me. 4/5

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 am

Best low singing:
Serj - Quite typical mid-register crooning by Serj here. Nothing too notable for him, but sounds pleasant and relaxing. Great singing. 3/5
McCafferty - Sounds like Billy G. indeed. I haven't got much to say about this one, it suits the song rather well. 3/5

Best vocal climax:
Freddie - Everything's been said about this one already. One of Freddie's greatest. 5/5
Hughes - A classic example of Hughes' soulful 'oversinging'. I really enjoy it, and the song has room for such a notable vocal showcase. Impeccable tonality and technique. 5/5
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top