ROUND 1: MrToddington vs Rodney Razorshorts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 1: MrToddington vs Rodney Razorshorts

Post  Zedd Squared on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 pm

This is the matchup for MrToddington versus Rodney Razorshorts. Feel free to post your clips and any description you want for them here.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: MrToddington vs Rodney Razorshorts

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:49 am

Low Singing
Matt Barlow
http://picosong.com/YBQx

Climactic Singing
Devin Townsend
http://picosong.com/YBQT
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:31 pm

Low Singing: Fish, "13th Star" (2007): http://picosong.com/YBiu/

Climactic Singing: John West, "Stand, Sentinel" (2002): http://picosong.com/YBiA/
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:07 am

Matt Barlow (2/5): Great sound. But it's generous to call this 'singing', in my opinion.
Fish (4.5/5): The melody is beautiful and quite interesting. Calm and emotive singing with good dynamic control.

Devin Townsend (5/5): Amazing, flawless vocal technique and creative melodic writing and development.
John West (3.5/5): It isn't the most elaborate vocal climax, but very powerful and fitting to the underlying musical climax.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 am

Best Low Singing:

Barlow: Good lows, but not anything too special. 3.5/5
Fish: Strong lows, but I dislike the melody and their prominence in the mix. 3/5

Best Vocal Climax:

Townsend: Very cool and tasteful stuff. 4/5
West: Not much to be said here. 5/5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:03 am

Best Low Singing

Sherick - Matt Barlow: I really dig the chanting tone he is using. Really cool stuff. 3,5/5

Todd - Fish: Lovely timbre, really warm and it fits the context of the song really well. Some of the notes end up being a bit breathier and weaker, but still, a good clip. 4/5

Best Vocal Climax

Sherick - Devin Townsend: Simply amazing, breathtaking, amazing execution, timbre and a really great emotional (!) performance. 5/5

Todd - John West: I'm not a fan of his voice, but those are some really tasteful high notes. great sustain and consistence. 3,5/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:48 am

Knew I should've used "The Messenger"
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:57 am

Barlow: good but he repeats himself too much. 2.5/5
Fishy - meh, nicer tone than barlow tho 3/5

Towns end - i fucking despise how he says "musical" i mean does he have like a fucking speech impedement FUCK 4.5/5
West - nice sustains 4/5

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:10 am

Best low singing:
Barlow - Pretty strong altho the fact that's it chanted rather some good melodic singing brings down a bit for me. 3/5
Fish - Really nice warmth and resonance, good tone down there as well. 4/5

Best vocal climax:
Hevy Devy - Devin once again proves himself to be the man, his control never ceases to astound me. 4.5/5
West - Excellent sustain and a bit more interesting than your usual high note climax. 4/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:35 am

Best Low Singing:

Rodney/Barlow - 3/5 Don't get me wrong, the lows are cool and strong, and fit the song perfectly. But they're just the same part kinda "chanted", like Sandblasted put it. They get a bit uninteresting after the 2nd chant. Still cool though.
Todd/Fish - 5/5 I was surprised at Fish singing that low in a more upbeat song. I'm used to his monologues in the more depressing songs he does. But, not only were these lows incredibly strong and booming, but they also had this warmness to them, instead of the darkness Fish's low vocals usually bring. The low vocals really fit the song like a glove here. Awesome.

Best Vocal Climax:

Rodney/Devy - 5/5 Ah, one of Devin's best performances, if not his best.  Sweating  He goes nuts here, ranging from his signature crazy highs, to his lovely falsetto parts. This is why Devin is great: versatility and 100% effort.
Todd/West - 3.5/5 This was cool, but it really didn't stand out that much to me. The vocals were great, and definitely weren't half-arsed, but I felt he could've gone further than he did. However, it wasn't wanky, so I can give him that. Great vocals.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 am

Best Low Singing:

(1) Todd/Fish - One of my favourites from old uncle Fish. Nice warm timbre on those lows, and suits the song perfectly. 4,5/5
(2) Rodney/Barlow -  Technically good and strong low singing, but otherwise rather bland and uninteresting. 3/5

Best Vocal Climax:

(1) Todd/West - Technically really impressive and well-controlled highs, which - for me - could use be a little bit more intense (as it's supposed to be a climax). Points for technical skill and being tasteful. 3,5/5
(2) Rodney/Townsend - Creative, technically impressive, and also tasteful. Would have been perfect with a slightly "bigger bang" at the end. 4/5
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am

Low singing

Matt Barlow: Love his tone as usual and this bit fits perfectly in this masterpiece of a song. There are other more melodic passages that I suppose others might've seen as being more "sung" but I think this is pretty top notch regardless. 3.5/5
Fish: One of the best low registers in progressive rock, and this clip proves it although really much of the song contains great low singing like this. Warm tone, nice narrative approach that makes me think to Peter Hammill a bit, and a cool song too. 4/5

Vocal climax
Devin Townsend: While some other options might've been a bit more fantastic imo, this is still a fantastic clip that showcases why Devin is always a significant cut above the standard. Fantastic tone and singing throughout this. 4.5/5
John West: Pretty cool notes here but the "passion" didn't seem to be behind it for lack of a better term. 3.5/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:29 am

Low singing

Matt Barlow- Dark solid lows but the delivery is kind of boring, not much expression. cool tone though. 3/5
Fish- Great resonant lows and beautiful, expressive singing 4/5

Climax
Devin- I like the gradation and rise to the final notes, really good sustain but didn't make me feel excited or give a real sense of climax 3/5
West- Powerful climax with a great sounding finish, great sustain and delivery 4/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 am

Whackooyzero wrote:
Devin Townsend: While some other options might've been a bit more fantastic imo, this is still a fantastic clip that showcases why Devin is always a significant cut above the standard. Fantastic tone and singing throughout this. 4.5/5

fantastic that you thought it was fantastic.  Smile 

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Matt Barlow- Quite repetitive chant, but strong, ominous and badass. Really fits with the frenetic guitar strumming. Digging this guy's tone. 4/5

Fish- Wow, this simply takes off from the basis of Barlow's clip (which an enjoyable deep tone), takes away the layering and adds what lacked to Barlow's: melody, phrasing and tastefullness. Sounds really warm and blends perfectly with the calm guitars. That's the baritone vois I wanna have  silent  . 4.5/5

-----------------------------------------------------------

Devin Puebloenviar- Great gritty tone as always from Devin. I like the progression, sets the mood for the emotion of the climax. I really enjoyed how he unexecpectedly goes cleaner at the end as he goes higher and sustains the note at the end. Hadn't hear this side of him, sounds fantastic!. I would rate this higher but I find that goddamn waterfall background noise terribly distracting to the point it doesn't really let me enjoy it  Banghead . Plus the climax itself isn't really that great. 4/5

John West- Dat vibratooooooooooo!!!!. Epic instrumention and melodies to begin with, and the head voice tone and high notes are simply mindblowing. Maybe not as intense/explosive or emotional I expect a climax to be, but that's the only flaw, therefore it deserves an almost perfect score. 4.5/5
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Pepe Forever wrote:

Devin Puebloenviar-

hah I see what you did there
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:03 am

Matt Barlow - quite monotone 2.5/5

Fish - Reminds me of the tone of that guy who sings the sopranos main theme, not really impressive melody to sing, he just naturally has got a boomy low voice 3/5

-----------------------------------------------------------

Devin Townsend- Sounds like he is making love to his mic, i really can imagine him licking that shit up, quite cool 4/5

John West - Not a fan of his timbre, good vibrato but not really impressive performance though 2.5/5
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:24 pm

DonutsGalacticos wrote:Devin Townsend- Sounds like he is making love to his mic, i really can imagine him licking that shit up, quite cool 4/5

One of the ugliest expressions I've read in a while.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top