ROUND 1: Vuvuzelabzz vs PepeForever

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 1: Vuvuzelabzz vs PepeForever

Post  Zedd Squared on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 pm

This is the matchup for Vuvuzelabzz versus PepeForever. Feel free to post your clips and any description you want for them here.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: Vuvuzelabzz vs PepeForever

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:29 pm

Best low singing : http://picosong.com/YNUZ (Morgan Sorne)
Best vocal climax : http://picosong.com/YNUg (Andrew Mailloux)

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:20 am

are we allowed to rate anything if the other person hasn't posted their shit yet?

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:29 am

Not yet.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 am

Sorry for the wait guys, here they are:

-Best low singing:

Peter Steele - Christian Woman (Live Sweden 1994) (Type O Negative):
http://picosong.com/YZBv/

Altrough Peter has maaany other examples of great low singing, I decided to choose one of my personal favorites. Here Peter sings the low interlude of "Christian Woman" and his rich and resonant bass tone shines more than ever. In spite of the fry F♯1 at the end being pretty good, I consider the strong C♯2 before it as the money note from this clip.

(yeah, I know, I spelled Sweden wrong in the clip. Sorry ortography nazis and Cro)

-Best Vocal Climax:

Ville Valo - Ode to Solitude (HIM):
http://picosong.com/YZBa/

Altrough I personally concluded that W.L.S.T.D. is the best vocal climax by Ville, not only for the vocals themselves, but also for the melody, instrumentation, mood of the song, etc.; you asked for a tour de force, so I that is what I give you.
"Ode to Solitude" a.k.a. the prime example of range wanking: crooning, then high 5th octave vocals topped by the best and most climatic F5 I've ever heard. It's almost a classic already among TRPers  Laughing
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:40 am

Vuvuzela, those really-low-volume low-note pulses aren't human voice, right?
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:42 am

Sorne - i uh...if those backing vocals are someone singing and not an acoustic bass then 4.5/5 if not it's 1/5

Mailloux - i don't even know anything about this guy but holy fuck that was amazing i got so pumped. 5/5

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL - dark, brooding, controlled.....h-hard 5/5

Valo - i always held this recording in reverence not for it's climactic nature but because of it's unbelievable rangewankiness. 2.5/5

sorry pepe Sad

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Morgan Sorne (1/5): This sounds like a contrabass flute playing static arpeggios. Completely lacking in any vocal qualities or artistry, in my opinion.
Peter Steele (4.5/5): Very strong and dramatic low register, evokes a chilling mood. Great control.
Andrew Mailloux (4/5): Slightly repetitive melodically, but I love the rising tension and resolution.
Ville Valo (4/5): Great variation in the voice to correspond with the musical changes, in particular the high note serving as a cadence into the 'heavy' section was fantastic. But it meanders after that point, to me.

What does 'Range-wanking' mean? Switching between the low and high register within a section?

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Low Singing
Sourne: Nice humming. 1.5/5
Steele: Ow my balls. 5/5

Climactic Singing
Mailloux: Very powerful and intense, without sounding too shouty or unmusical. I liked it, even though it ends anticlimactically. 4/5
Valo: Not too rangewanky honestly, at least not for my tastes. I always liked the his gravelly delivery on this song. 3.5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:48 pm

Low Singing

Sorne- LOL wtf was that shit nigga plz if I wanted to hear bass vibrations I would have listened to dubstep 1/5
Steele- Wasn't as impressed as I expected because the tone wasn't that great but still solid and powerful as fuck 3/5

Climax
Rishloo guy- Pretty powerful intense shit. Not a big fan of the ending, though 4/5
Valo- Okay no explanation necessary I came 5/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Shikkaku wrote:Vuvuzela, those really-low-volume low-note pulses aren't human voice, right?
Yes, they are.
GT wrote:Morgan Sorne (1/5): This sounds like a contrabass flute playing static arpeggios. Completely lacking in any vocal qualities or artistry, in my opinion.
Artistry? I can see how one could think it doesn't sound like a voice, but to say that using one's voice as an instrument in that way lacks any artistry is pretty silly, in my opinion.
Rodney Razorshorts wrote:Sourne: Nice humming. 1.5/5
You realise humming is a form of singing, right?

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:30 am

Best Low Singing

Vuvuzelabzzz - Morgan Sorne: Still doesn't sounds like voice. The low harmony in the first 14 seconds sound rather human-like, but after that, the sound is quite non-human (dunno if it's a keyboard or some kind of wind instrument like GT mentioned). I disagree heavily with his remarks of his "lack of any vocal qualities or artistry" - the indeed sung parts are quite nice and could deserve a decent rating on other categories (like "Soft Singing") and from an "artistic" point of view, the music presented here is quite nice though. But, no lows. 1/5

Pepe Forever - Peter Steele: Fucking Peter "Penis" Steele!!! As much as I try to hold my personal preference for him, there's no way of ignoring he had probably the most powerful and remarkable low register ever. I still think you could use "Nettie" or "She Burned Me Down" for this category, but this clip is a great choice. His diction is a bit slurred (kind of a letdown for me), but the tone is so strong and ressonant and deep and thick! BTW, that F♯1 sounded quite full Razz. The bad diction (probably caused by alcohol or something else) made the score lower a bit. 4,5/5

Best Vocal Climax

Vuvuzelabzz - Andrew Mailloux: So this is the famous "Rishloo guy"? All I have to say is: Amazing!! Holy shit, that was incredible, amazing tone (reminds me of MJK with a bit of Cornell sprinkled over it for me) and consistence, incredible streak of C♯5s. Simply amazing, one of the best clips used for this category. 5/5

Pepe Forever - Ville Valo: The Art of Soulful Rangewanking - another one of my favorite vocalists. The transition between the warm lows (I love that little slide in "Ode to solitude AND") to the gritty but extremely well controlled higher singing, plus DAT F5 (I would kill to be capable of doing that) is simply amazing, one of my favorite vocal moments from Valo. You could have cut those little falsetto "Ode to Solitude"s at the end as they don't quite fit the "climax" part, but they don't hurt at all being there. Tie. 5/5

BTW Pepe, why are you asking forgiveness for Cro? He's croatian not swedish lol, say sorry to Sippe Razz
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 am

Shikkaku wrote:Best Low Singing

Vuvuzelabzzz - Morgan Sorne: Still doesn't sounds like voice. The low harmony in the first 14 seconds sound rather human-like, but after that, the sound is quite non-human (dunno if it's a keyboard or some kind of wind instrument like GT mentioned). I disagree heavily with his remarks of his "lack of any vocal qualities or artistry" - the indeed sung parts are quite nice and could deserve a decent rating on other categories (like "Soft Singing") and from an "artistic" point of view, the music presented here is quite nice though. But, no lows. 1/5

https://soundcloud.com/sorne/joga

"This song was made using only my voice and hands"

It's just hummed throat-singing. He uses that kind of lows in many songs and I can link to him doing it live. If the issue is whether or not it's voice, it is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 am

Peter Steele Lower Singing
4/5 Great, I love that performance. Nice slide, too.

Ville Valo Climax
5/5 You can't really lose with this part of the song. I like the falsetto/headvoice action at the end, too

Morgan Sorne Low Singing
3/5 Sounds like Tim Foust

Andrew Mailloux
5/5 FURIOUS, gritty delivery. Need I say more

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:49 am

Best Low Singing

Vuvuzelabzzz - Morgan Sorne: I'm going to accept this is him, great part of a song i'll check that one i've got some time, like someone said sounds like a cello or contrabass and i find it pretty cool stil i find it kinda static 2.5/5

Pepe Forever - Peter Steele: You pepe have got imo the strongest and versatile trio, in this case i think i've heard better lows by this bass monster, still this is a good example of what he was capable of, 3.5/5

Best Vocal Climax

Vuvuzelabzz - Andrew Mailloux:
wow that was epic, for sure, reminds me quite a lot of the Tool's singer, no wonder he deserves the 5/5

Pepe Forever - Ville Valo: Great singing by mr Valo, i love that lower dip he does just before going nuts higher, quite lovely <3 4.5/5
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 am

Best Low Singing:

(1) VuvuzelaBzz/Sorne - I would have liked to hear an actual melody line with words, instead of strong, but monotone droning. 1,5/5
(2) Pepe/Steele -  That's more like it. I've always disliked his dry tone when he goes really low, though. He's also sounds slightly off pitch in a few places there (and the diction is not too great either). Points for the really impressive resonance and power while singing live. 3,5/5

Best Vocal Climax:

(1) VuvuzelaBzz/Mailloux - Really good, powerful singing. Ending could be better. 4/5
(2) Pepe/Valo - Well executed range-wanking. Don't like those soft falsettos at the end, though. 4/5
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 am

Best low singing:
Sorne - Pretty interesting throat singing, the reverb/mixing probably confused the others here, and indeed it's not super interesting melodically speaking but the tone and placement in the song are pretty cool. 3/5
Steele - Not my favourite low clip by Ol'Pete albeit both the C♯2 and F♯1 are very strong and pretty nice for a more wanky moment of his. 3.5/5

Best vocal climax:
Rishloo guy - Any section that has good C♯5s is alright w/me, and this has plenty of 'em. I kinda wish he kept up that momentum for the whole clip altho that just might be the way the clip was edited, thus changing the context. 3.5/5
Valo - Ville showing some incredible versatility once again, the highs and lows were both fairly strong and somewhat unpredictable melody wise, making for a pretty interesting clip, even if the ending didn't seem as cool. 4/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Low Singing:
Sorne: I'm sorta interested to know how quiet/loud those lows might be... But I guess they sound unique. 2.5/5
Steele: Outstanding tone, super bassy! That slide may be a bit unnecessary, but oh man is it impressive. 4.5/5

Vocal Climax
Mailloux: (I don't remember the original song having clipping issues like this.) Mailloux rocks and this clip is just great. Very tight and very powerful. Personally, I prefer the climaxes in "Katsushika" or "Freaks & Animals", or maybe even "Weevil Bride"... there's so many to choose from though! 4.5/5
Valo: One of my favourite vocal climaxes. Amazing as well, that high F gives me chills. 5/5
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top