Post  Big Brother on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 am

https://soundcloud.com/nirvana14-1/a-singer-must-die

Tell me what you think. Thanks.
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Singer Must Die- Leonard Cohen

Post  Zedd Squared on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:12 am

Cool to hear you sing this tune man. Your voice fits this kind of "song poet" approach quite well and you've got the lows to pull off Cohen. A few times you seemed to go Vedder on the words ending in "er" but good cover overall.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Decent. Raise the key a semi tone or a full one. Your lows are too crispy in the beginning of the verses and dry, they should be softer, more volumous and round, take deeper breaths before them too cause they are slightly pitchy. If you raised the key you could do rounder lows that arent pitchy, and could keep that crispy sarcastic Leonard Cohen voice to the part of the song where it belongs. The highs "your vision is wrong my vision is right im sorry for smudging the air.. etc" would probs also sound better in a higher key, notice how he lightens voice in those parts, he sounds more.. hmm.. genuinely apologetic and sorry.

Now it sounds like I'm saying sing it exactly like Cohen, I'm not. I'm saying even in a song like this one which doesn't cover a lot of range you need to sing dynamically, I think because of the key not being right for your voice and your technique for lows being a bit lacking it becomes monotone and pitchy during the lower parts. One thing you can do is sing really close to the microphone when doing lows, singing slightly whispery but retaining roundness and power that way.

Bleh my crits seem so harsh compared to everyone elses.. but I think in order to actually help someone you shouldn't be afraid to point out what you think can be done better even if a cover is decent. I mean if you disagree with my crits then that's just it its not like one has to care and its not like there's any need to get upset over something. I gave crits like these on other forums and man did people get defensive and pissed off. Just a reflection because I've noticed that I seem to give harsher critique than other people in other threads too.

I really took my time with this crit, plz crit my flume cover if you cba. plz I am so depressed.
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top