Type O Negative - All Hallows Eve

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Type O Negative - All Hallows Eve

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:34 pm

http://picosong.com/YQ6X/
I did both Peter and Kenny's parts in this one, and I gotta say, my Kenny impression turned out better than I expected. Vocal remove didn't work on this song, so I just sang over the original version, but I think it came out audible enough regardless. Though I apologize for the "fuzz" surrounding my mic quality; I have no idea what's up with that, but I couldn't find a way to record without it happening.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Type O Negative - All Hallows Eve

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Are you sure you are a bass-baritone?  Honestly man your lows don't sound any boomier or bassy than my own, not to be a dick but I don't see how it could be even remotely possible for a 21-year-old bass-baritone to have similar sounding lows to an 18-year-old tenor, but what do I know?

I thought the cover was sweet, your high range is MUCH better than your low range.  It's actually sounding pretty sweet to my ears lately.  It has that classic metal singer sound to it that i've always dug.  I particularly love the sound on those few lines at 1:38.  I also think the lighter singing on the final part is really pretty, a sweet tone and consistent vibrato.  As far as negative criticism goes, I believe I hear you using a little too much air in your voice.  I feel like you could hit all those notes stellar if you approached it with a holding back sensation, just leak the absolute minimum amount of air you can when singing those highs.  I promise it will help, any one who knows the voice will back me up on that.  Anyway, nice cover man I actually listened to it twice.  6:03 is the best

Last edited by Kepp on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sweet, not alright)
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Don't know what you mean dude, Maxim's lows are pretty tremendous in this cover. Actually the whole cover is one of the best I've heard from you. The distortion you get on the 4th octave notes is really good and you sound confident and powerful throughout. Keep this up! Very Happy 
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:04 pm

I didn't think they were bad but they don't strike me as a bass-baritone's lows.  Maybe someone will back me up on that.  I do admit his lows here are some of his better ones though.

edit: I don't want to make a conversation out of this so just forget I said it, the cover is really good maxim.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Nobody will. Maxim's lower register is naturally tremendous, and a good microphone would improve the overall sound a lot.

I think Whackooy really summed up what I thought. Good job here.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:17 pm

LMAO, you legitimately made me laugh. "Maybe someone will back me up?".. "Nobody will." I just imagined an 80s movie situation for some reason. Anyway, if you guys say so. I guess I was listening to it through my laptop speakers, that could account for loss of bass Laughing Like I said though, who cares the cover is really nice. I shouldn't have dedicated so much effort into saying that.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 am

Kepp wrote:Are you sure you are a bass-baritone?  Honestly man your lows don't sound any boomier or bassy than my own, not to be a dick but I don't see how it could be even remotely possible for a 21-year-old bass-baritone to have similar sounding lows to an 18-year-old tenor, but what do I know?
Wait, so you decided you're a tenor after all? I'm not sure I agree there. And can you really get lows as bassy as that? I remember you having a pretty low speaking voice and hearing you do a slide down to something like E2/D2 once, but other that I've never heard much in the ways of lows from you. I'd be really surprised to hear you bust out some B1s like the ones I hit here, though.

And I don't mean any of this in an insulting way or anything; I'm just a little curious now that you mention this. Admittedly, I actually wasn't actually trying to hit the most booming lows possible in this cover because they're done during a quieter part of the song...what I was more going for was a really dark bassy tone with low volume, so as to establish a contrast between the spooky quietness of the low parts and the blaring power of the high parts. Beyond that, I'd say anything else is the fault of my mic.
Kepp wrote:I thought the cover was sweet, your high range is MUCH better than your low range.
This is also something that I don't think I've ever gotten before. Usually my low range is the first thing people compliment, and my high range is what people are telling me "really needs work". But hey, I care more about having a good high range than I do about having a good low range, so I'll take it. Popcorn
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 am

Although the volume was way too low and my headphones suck, this was really well-done. The lows on the beggining and around the 4:30 mark were pretty well replicated (sometimes your diction is a bit off and you end up mumbling the syllabes), Kenny's parts were done pretty well, I really like the tone you got, really nice distortion technique. Some minor timing mistakes later on the clip, but pretty well done, Maxo.
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DanXPrado on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:57 am

Great cover! Very nice distortion on the high notes! Very Happy
DanXPrado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 am

Great job man. A better microphone would definitely do more justice to your talent.
Kepp wrote:Are you sure you are a bass-baritone?  Honestly man your lows don't sound any boomier or bassy than my own, not to be a dick but I don't see how it could be even remotely possible for a 21-year-old bass-baritone to have similar sounding lows to an 18-year-old tenor, but what do I know?
 Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:51 am

Cool stuff, the upper belted notes sound quite good, there's a vibe of power there, your voice on the lower tones and middles remind me of some religious chorus of medieval priests, so it gives a dark atmosphere that fit nice those kind of songs. With a better mic your lows must sound nasty.
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top