Julee Cruise - Falling

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Julee Cruise - Falling

Post  persons on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:53 pm

I've always had a soft spot for this song, and of course Twin Peaks.. love both. I wanted to cover this song because I loved it, but also to test my vocal ability.. I had to obviously change keys. I think I am a baritone as my talking voice is usually around the E2-F#2 range, and I can go down to almost an A1 (not very strong mind you). I can usually go real high with head/mixed but my chest tops around G4-G#4....

Aside from the rambling, I just kind of wanted a second opinion on voice type. I know that it doesn't determine anything really, I've just always been curious. The high notes in this top at F#4 which was the highest note I felt I could hold strongly. Any pointers or opinions regarding range/voice type are greatly appreciated Smile

http://picosong.com/Ycth

PS I know it's not very perfect, it's still in development Wink hence some (very) shaky notes, some out of breath takes etc.

persons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julee Cruise - Falling

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:56 am

Knowing the massive Twin Peaks fan inside myself, I had to check this out. Although the (fitting) vocal echo sound effect makes the small nuances of your voice hard to decipher at points, you sound dang great, and I especially loved the higher parts where your voice really seemed to 'open up'. Great job, dude, I really enjoyed it! And coming from me, that's a true compliment.

Did you play the instruments and mix this as well? Sounds very professional, that's why!
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:48 am

This is wonderful! It truly is. You really captured the feeling of the voice of Julee Cruise and the way you "blossom" toward the center of the song was really beautiful. I'm glad Julee (and of course, Twin Peaks) is getting attention. I will try to add more to the thread I created for her. Smile

You have a very nice tone to your voice, it's smooth and effortless. I myself can't truly belt out anything above E4 without strain but you gave the higher notes a sort of Peter Gabriel-ish tone that was really lovely. Would love to hear more!
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  persons on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:13 am

Wow.. I seriously did not expect compliments at all! Thank you guys so much Smile. Really good to see other Julee Cruise/Twin Peaks fans as well.. I love her work. I've always wanted to cover 'The World Spins' as well.

Yes I do all of the arrangements/instrumentals myself, I'm working on a music project right now and we're about to send off our EP. So maybe I''ll post some more some time Smile.

I'll also post this again once I actually finish it too!

As for the higher parts, that's about where I break off (F#-G#) and turn into head voice, which isn't very strong yet. So it means a lot that it actually sounds good haha, I had to really try to hone it out like it is.

Thanks again guys, it seriously means a lot, this is the first time I've shared anything with my voice in a super long time.

persons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  persons on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:54 am

Hey guys, I finally polished this a little bit more. Rerecorded some bits since I've been practicing singing lots lately. My voice is a bit mixed into the music, but I kinda wanted it to be like that (to fit the nature/atmosphere of the original).

Let me know what you think Smile

https://soundcloud.com/the-midnight-people/falling-julee-cruise-cover

persons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top