Marianne Faithfull

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marianne Faithfull

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:55 pm

Voice type: Fluttery Alto (During the 1960s), Witch Cackle Contralto (Roughly 1973 Onwards)
Vocal range: F♯2-G5

Significant high notes:
G5 ("Greensleeves")
E5 ("I Have a Love")
E♭5 ("I Have a Love")
D5 ("Our Love Has Gone")
C♯5 ("Paris Bells")
C5 ("Good Guy", "In My Time of Sorrow", "Time Takes Time", "With You in Mind")
B4 ("Can't You Hear My Heartbeat", "Coquillage", "Down Town", "He'll Come Back to Me", "I'm a Loser", "Time Takes Time", "You Can't Go Where the Roses Go")
B♭4 ("Down Town", "Greensleeves")
A4 ("As Tears Go By", "Good Guy", "House of the Rising Sun", "I Have a Love", "In My Time of Sorrow", "In the Night Time", "Love in a Mist", "Reason to Believe", "Scarborough Fair", "Truth, Bitter Truth", "Yesterday")
G♯4 ("Four Strong Winds", "Love in a Mist", "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan", "What Have they Done to the Rain?", "Why D'ya Do It?")
G4 ("Before the Poison", "Down Town", "Incarceration of a Flower Child", "My Friends Have", "Reason to Believe", "With You in Mind", "Young Girl Blues")
F♯4 ("Don't Make Promises", "The Crane Wife", "This Little Bird", "Why D'ya Do It?", "Witches Song", "Working Class Hero")
F4 ("Before the Poison", "Dear God Please Help Me", "I'll Keep it with Mine", "Incarceration of a Flower Child", "My Friends Have")

Significant low notes:
F♯3 ("He'll Come Back to Me", "This Little Bird")
E3 ("Ashes in My Hand", "Children of Stone", "Don't Make Promises", "Electra", "Guilt", "House of the Rising Sun", "Song for Nico", "So Sad", "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan", "There is a Ghost", "Vagabond Ways", "Young Girl Blues")
E♭3 ("Gee Baby", "My Friends Have")
D3 ("Ashes in My Hand", "Back in Baby's Arms", "I'm a Loser", "Sister Morphine", "Song for Nico", "That's How Every Empire Falls", "The Crane Wife", "Truth, Bitter Truth")
C♯3 ("As Tears Go By" 1987 Version, "Love Song", "The Memory Remains", "The Stations")
C3 ("Eternity", "I'll Keep it with Mine", "Incarceration of a Flower Child", "In Germany Before the War", "My Friends Have", "Sign of Judgement", "Tower of Song", "Working Class Hero")
B2 ("Great Expectations", "In the Factory", "Prussian Blue", "Why D'ya Do It?")
B♭2 ("Before the Poison", "In Germany Before the War", "My Friends Have", "Strange Weather", "The Phoenix")
A2 ("I'll Keep it with Mine", "Prussian Blue", "The Crane Wife", "Working Class Hero")
G♯2 ("The Phoenix")
G2 ("Before the Poison")
F♯2 ("Great Expectations")

Cultural icon and singer songwriter of the 60s onward. Her voice from the Broken English album onwards took upon a very smoky and dark tone, which is known to divide listeners. In her youth she had a somewhat warm but still quite light voice. She obviously has tons of lows but due to her change of voices I'm not entirely sure how to deal with the highs.
*Purple marks notes in backing vocals.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.

Last edited by Zedd Squared on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:42 am; edited 9 times in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marianne Faithfull

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:51 am

Hey, nice thread man. I really love Marianne's voice on "As Tears Go By." I never noticed you made this though.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Great voice! This song was written by PJ Harvey for Marianne. Smile Lots of E♭3s, C3s and B♭2s throughout. Love the sudden change in tone after 1:37. Lots of G4s after that. A couple of F4s after 2:28.
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:41 pm

If anyone else sang that, it would probably sound intolerably twee, but when she sings it, it sounds kind of creepy and sinister.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:36 pm

1:15 - Nice G5s Marianne.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content