Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Current status: UNFINISHED

Voice type: Tenor
Sung range: D2-B♭5
Vocal range: D2-B5

Significant high notes:

• B5 ("It's Not Love" demo)
  • B♭5 ("Beast In the Box")
  • F5 ("Dream Warriors", "I Don't Want to Be Lonely", "It's Not Love" demo, "Stone Cold Believer")
  • E5 ("Back For the Attack" demo, "It's Not Love" demo)
  • E♭5 ("We All Need Someone to Love")
  • D5 ("Awaken", "Back For the Attack" demo, "Closer to None", "Dream Warriors", "I Don't Want to Be Lonely", "Into the Fire" live in Philadelphia 1987, "It's Not Love" demo, "Kill for the Love of God", "New Sensation")
  • C♯5 ("Heaven Sent", "Vaccine")
  • C5 ("Back For the Attack" demo, "Beast In the Box", "I Don't Want to Be Lonely", "Into the Fire" live in Philadelphia 1987, "Jesus Train")
  • B4 ("Can't Slow Down", "Heaven Sent", "Into the Fire" 2012 T & N version, "Kill for the Love of God", "Spread Your Wings", "Walk Away" 2004 War and Peace version)
  • B♭4 ("Closer to None", "I Miss You Mama", "Into the Fire" 2012 T & N version, "Love Has No Color", "Slave To the Empire", "The Evil That You Are", "Vaccine", "We All Need Someone to Love")
  • A4 ("Closer to None", "Jesus Train", "Just Got Lucky" unplugged live 1995 [One Live Night], "Spread Your Wings", "Walk Away" 2004 War and Peace version. "We All Need Someone to Love")
  • G♯4("Awaken", "Can't Slow Down", "Closer to None", "Ever Higher", "Goodbye Utopia" "Into the Fire" T & N version, "Slave To the Empire", "Vaccine", "Zero the End")

Significant low notes:

• D2 ("Breath and Scream")
  • E♭2 ("Slave To the Empire")
  • G2 ("Breath and Scream")
  • C3 ("We All Need Someone to Love")
  • C♯3 ("Believe in Yourself")
  • D3 ("Awaken", "It's Not Love" demo, "New Sensation")
  • E♭3 ("Change the World", "Ever Higher", "Inner View", "New Sensation", "Stone Cold Believer")
  • E3 ("Awaken", "Believe in Yourself", "Walk Away" 2004 War and Peace version, "We All Need Someone to Love")
  • F3 ("Awaken", "Believe in Yourself", "Change the World", "Closer to None", "Ever Higher", "I Miss You Mama", "Inner View", "New Sensation", "Stone Cold Believer". "Walk Away" 2004 War and Peace version, 'We All Need Someone to Love", "Zero the End")

*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
*Purple marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise muffled/obscured in the song mix.

Best known as the bass player for Dokken as well as stints with Dio and Foreignor. Pilson is also a fine singer who usually did the high harmonies in Dokken, but formed his own group War and Peace in 1993 and sang lead and played rhythm guitar as well as singing lead on other projects such as the Lynch/Pilson album in 2003 and the current Dokken spinoff group T & N featuring the classic Dokken lineup minus Don Dokken. In the 80's, Pilson had a very light voice with easy 5th octave highs as you can hear in the harmony vocals as well as the few demos he sang lead on, but his voice matured in the 90's and he came into his own as a strong, confident lead singer.

Here's a great performance by Jeff on the unplugged version of the Dokken song "Just Got Lucky."

Here's Jeff singing lead early in his career on a Dokken demo from '85 or '86. He uses a grittier vocal style and you can hear how different he sounds compared to the '95 performance, but there's a really good D5 at about 0:18.

Last edited by OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jeff Pilson

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:11 pm

What's the falsetto at 2:39? B♭5 touching B5? It has to be one of Jeff's highest notes.

Here's the recent project of the classic Dokken lineup minus Don(well Brian Tichy actually played on the album instead of Mick probably due to scheduling). Pretty cool song and a very nice solo by George. Jeff still sounds good, and he's not a young man anymore at 53 when this was recorded. Nice melodic B♭4 singing at 4:21 with a good B4 in there.

What's really interesting is that during the part of Jeff's career that he's sang lead in projects, his "money note" often seems to be G♯4 and the highest he typically sings in lead vocals are usually B♭4s and B4s. I found that interesting because of how high and light his voice sounded in Dokken during the 80's. In fact, his voice seemed higher than Don Dokken, and in those Dokken demos he sang lead on, you can hear him hitting quite a few 5th octave notes. Though the B♭4s and B4s never sound like he's pushing it. He's actually just turned out to be a really tasteful singer who does what he thinks is right for the song. By the way, considering how many good G♯4s he has, should I start his highs there? I've actually taken note of a lot of G4s, F3s and F♯3s as well. I figured A4s and E3s were safe starting points for a tenor like Jeff with a pretty high voice, but given his relatively limited career as a lead singer consisting of only a few albums, I thought maybe I could start at F♯3 and G4 as long as it doesn't seem ridiculous.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bassman on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 am

I never really listened to Dokken, so I don't really know this guy. But I gotta say, he's got a great tenor voice. Both his clean and gritty tone sound awesome. I should probably give this guy and Dokken a listen.

Also, that note sounds like a B5 to me as well.

Edit: As for the starting point of significant notes, E3 and A4 seem a fine point to begin. Though I haven't heard Jeff's voice enough to really know where his notes start sounding high and low.

Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Yeah, he's a talented musician overall. Good bass player and multi-instrumentalist who was a really good harmony singer for Dokken in the 80's, particularly the high harmonies, but developed into a good lead vocalist himself.

I had this in the OP originally, but I thought including so many clips in the OP was a bit much, but really nice sustained C5 harmony at 1:25 that he takes up to a D5.

I'll have to go back and listen more to the Dokken harmonies even on studio stuff. Of course, not all the high harmonies were Jeff since Don had a strong high range back then, fortunately, Jeff's voice was pretty distinctive in those harmonies so it's not too difficult to tell as long as the harmonies aren't mixed really low. "Dream Warriors" and "Heaven Sent" are good examples of Jeff's high harmonies really standing out.

Here's Jeff singing the Dokken song "Into the Fire" recently. He actually sounds quite a bit like Don at times during the soft verses. Some nice sustained B4s such as 2:25

I thought that falsetto note reached B5, thanks. Can't really count it as sung, but still his highest overall. I'm pretty sure I also remember hearing a demo for "Unchain the Night" years ago that Jeff sang on, but I can't find it now. I might be remembering incorrectly, though.

As for Jeff's highs and lows, I'll probably add G♯4s for him as well. He has a lot of really good ones and they sound high for him, which surprised me because of how light his voice was singing backing vocals for Dokken. E3s is a fairly logical place to start the lows, but he does have a lot of F3s and they generally sound low for him. His voice is still pretty high naturally so I may end up including those. As I said, I'm pretty tempted to start at F♯3 for the lows and G4 for the highs considering his limited output as a lead singer, but I'm not sure if that would be pushing it. I guess it depends on what else I find for him when I complete note-watching him.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bassman on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 pm

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:I had this in the OP originally, but I thought including so many clips in the OP was a bit much, but really nice sustained C5 harmony at 1:25 that he takes up to a D5.

Holy s*** at that C5 and D5. Great tone and great melisma at the end. This guy's got a great tone up there. Makes me kinda jealous being a Bass Laughing

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:Here's Jeff singing the Dokken song "Into the Fire" recently. He actually sounds quite a bit like Don at times during the soft verses. Some nice sustained B4s such as 2:25

Damn, everytime I hear that voice I get goosebumps. He's got a very pleasant voice. One of those voices I want to hear more of. 4:00 to 4:50 is amazing vocal-wise. Great sustained G#4s.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:As for Jeff's highs and lows, I'll probably add G♯4s for him as well. He has a lot of really good ones and they sound high for him, which surprised me because of how light his voice was singing backing vocals for Dokken. E3s is a fairly logical place to start the lows, but he does have a lot of F3s and they generally sound low for him. His voice is still pretty high naturally so I may end up including those. As I said, I'm pretty tempted to start at F♯3 for the lows and G4 for the highs considering his limited output as a lead singer, but I'm not sure if that would be pushing it. I guess it depends on what else I find for him when I complete note-watching him.

Your thread, your call. If you feel G♯4's and F3's are also significant notes for him, add them, no one's going to stop you.

By the way, as someone who wants to check out Dokken, any recommendations which albums of them I should try out first?

Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:34 am

Bassman wrote:
Holy s*** at that C5 and D5. Great tone and great melisma at the end. This guy's got a great tone up there. Makes me kinda jealous being a Bass Laughing

I was rehearsing that song with a band a few years ago and my singer at the time brought down the recordings and brought the live version and when Jeff hit that note went "woah, who is that?" Jeff's singing often surprises people.

Bassman wrote:Damn, everytime I hear that voice I get goosebumps. He's got a very pleasant voice. One of those voices I want to hear more of. 4:00 to 4:50 is amazing vocal-wise. Great sustained G#4s.

For more of Jeff singing lead, you can check out his project "War and Peace" and the 2003 Lynch/Pilson album. War and Peace varied a lot stylistically. Some was what you'd expect in a mainstream late 80's/early 90's hard rock style, but some stuff sort of sounded grunge/alternative, some stuff was even a bit progressive and some songs had a pretty strong Beatles influences. The '03 Lynch/Pilson album was more modern, melodic hard rock/heavy metal sort of an in an early 00's style, but more guitar-oriented and melodic.

Bassman wrote:
By the way, as someone who wants to check out Dokken, any recommendations which albums of them I should try out first?

I'd start with Tooth and Nail. It has more of a raw sound and is more in a straight forward, early 80's American metal style. Some songs from that album to check out are the title track "Tooth and Nail", "When Heaven Comes Down", "Don't Close Your Eyes", "Turn on the Action" an "Bullets to Spare."

But the 3 consecutive albums they did from '84-'87 are all very good. Under Lock and Key followed Tooth and Nail and was more polished and in more of a pop-metal style, but the songwriting, musicianship and vocals were all very good. Going off memory, they also started to do more with vocal harmonies on that one, but there is also a few heavier songs like "Lightning Strikes Again" and finally, Back for the Attack is pretty much split between the two approaches and it's a longer album at 13 songs, probably due to this being the start of the CD era. This was probably the band's peak as far as musicianship. A lot of good songs like "Standing in the Shadows", "Lost Behind the Wall", "Kiss of Death" and "Dream Warriors." I'd also recommend the live album from that tour called Beast From the East.

If you like those, I could give further recommendations based on those. For reference, Lynch's last album with them was 1997's disappointing Shadowlife with Dokken attempting to go grunge after the pretty good 1995 reunion album Dysfunctional while Pilson's last album was 1999's Erase the Slate which was quite solid with Reb Beach replacing Lynch on guitar.

I could PM you links to some recommendations if you want.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bassman on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:35 am

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:I could PM you links to some recommendations if you want.

Nah, that's not necessary. I'll just listen to those 4 albums the whole way through and from there, if I like it, I'll go listen to their other stuff and see what I like and dislike. Thanks for the information!

Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Checking out the "Flesh of Blood" sessions by War and Peace. Released in '99, but they were demos from when the band was called Flesh and Blood, I believe shortly after Dokken's breakup. Probably about 1990ish since Vinnie Appice was on drums. Thought this was cool. Nice 80's metal song.

A ton of good notes between B4-D5, such as the very good D5s at 2:34 and 2:59. His voice sounds more similar to the Dokken demos he sang on in the 80's than the '93 War and Peace debut, the '03 Lynch/Pilson album or the 2012 T & N album. Interesting to hear the progression in his singing.

And this song surprised me! Wasn't expecting all of the highs in this, was honestly expecting this to be just your standard generic pop-metal song when it started, but this is easily some of the strongest high singing I've heard from Jeff.

Really good C5s and D5s such as the D5s at 2:00 and 2:49 and what I believe is an really nice F5 at 2:39.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bassman on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Great clips! Jeff's voice still baffles me sometimes, it's so unique and distinctive. I also like how you put a lot of clips here to showcase his singing. By the way, I've decided to download the first 4 albums of Dokken, along with Dysfunctional. I'll listen to it when I have the time.

Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 am

Bassman wrote:Great clips! Jeff's voice still baffles me sometimes, it's so unique and distinctive. I also like how you put a lot of clips here to showcase his singing. By the way, I've decided to download the first 4 albums of Dokken, along with Dysfunctional. I'll listen to it when I have the time.  

Cool, hope you enjoy them. If you come across anything significant by Jeff in the backing vocals, it'd be much appreciated if you post it here, but not necessary since I'll go over those albums again. Dokken's debut Breaking the Chains is a weaker album with a few highlights, but it doesn't feature Jeff and you can tell the band hadn't really found their sound yet. The last song, the live version of "Paris is Burning" is easily the best song on that album, imo, but the next 3 albums are very good, imo.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top