Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:12 am

Her vocal arrangement and songwriting skills are well above the skills of most people her age level.

Her songs are NOT complex, but writing good lyrics with constant movement, and changing phrases that keep the listeners attention is easier said than done.

She also sings with herself very well . . . layering sometimes 4 harmonies, that sound completely in tune, in unison, and "correct".

Do I love her music? No . . . but I respect her talent.

I think she's an amazing singer personally because she doesn't force anything. Her lows are very nice. There's been a lot of arguing whether she's an Alto or Mezzo, but I'm not going to get into that.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Starman on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:48 am

subby33 wrote:Her vocal arrangement and songwriting skills are well above the skills of most people her age level.

Her songs are NOT complex, but writing good lyrics with constant movement, and changing phrases that keep the listeners attention is easier said than done.

I completely agree. Her music is nice.

subby33 wrote:She also sings with herself very well . . . layering sometimes 4 harmonies, that sound completely in tune, in unison, and "correct".

I adore her harmonies. Very nice work in that respect.

subby33 wrote:Do I love her music?  No . . . but I respect her talent.

She's only 17, by the time she's 20 I think she'll really have come into her own. For now, she's still pretty spectacular.

subby33 wrote:I think she's an amazing singer personally because she doesn't force anything.  Her lows are very nice.  There's been a lot of arguing whether she's an Alto or Mezzo, but I'm not going to get into that.

As far as I'm concerned she's an Alto. She has that deep tone that somebody like Adele carries, but still possesses a certain innocent anf lyrical quality for her higher singing (could do with her age too.)
avatar
Starman
Range Advisor

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2013-12-22
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:54 am

Lupa wrote:I'm not saying it's not her because of her age, I was just agreeing that it's probably not her and then I was just making an observation that if she can sing that low now that she's 17, she'll probably go much lower when she gets older. I think I didn't make myself clear.
Then don't say "I mean" when what follows clearly isn't what you meant.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Lupa on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:34 am

full voice wrote:Then don't say "I mean" when what follows clearly isn't what you meant.

Ok, I made a mistake, sorry, but that's a bit of an overreaction, there's no need to be arrogant.

Starman wrote:
subby33 wrote:I think she's an amazing singer personally because she doesn't force anything.  Her lows are very nice.  There's been a lot of arguing whether she's an Alto or Mezzo, but I'm not going to get into that.

As far as I'm concerned she's an Alto. She has that deep tone that somebody like Adele carries, but still possesses a certain innocent anf lyrical quality for her higher singing (could do with her age too.)

I know that vocal types aren't really the purpose of discussion here, but I agree with you, I think she's an Alto.
avatar
Lupa

Posts : 211
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:55 am

Lupa wrote:that's a bit of an overreaction, there's no need to be arrogant.

avatar
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1644
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 26
Location : Tejas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  B6 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:36 am

"Still Sane" harmony C3s sound legit to me. I wouldn't dismiss the "Team" B♭2s too quickly, either- they sound processed but not necessarily not her, to me. There's great C♯3s at 3:00 and 3:10 and E♭3s in the choruses in that same song, by the way. Oh and I think the "Buzzcut Season" lows bottom at E♭3 too (though I'd say the F3s there are definitely good enough to include), and I totally hear the G♯5s (along with some E♭5s, which are also not noted). I'd say it would be best to look for the harmony notes, especially in this case, where they're usually pretty prominent and good.
I still haven't gone through all of Pure Heroine but what I've heard of it so far is gooooooood. The thing that impresses me the most about her voice is not the very strong lows (which are surely not expected at that age, but 17 is not that young an age), but how distinctive and 'personal' (not the word I was looking for, but I hope you get what I mean) it is.
avatar
B6
Range Advisor

Posts : 4682
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 20
Location : Desert island

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Starman on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:54 am

B6 wrote:"Still Sane" harmony C3s sound legit to me. I wouldn't dismiss the "Team" B♭2s too quickly, either- they sound processed but not necessarily not her, to me. There's great C♯3s at 3:00 and 3:10 and E♭3s in the choruses in that same song, by the way. Oh and I think the "Buzzcut Season" lows bottom at E♭3 too (though I'd say the F3s there are definitely good enough to include), and I totally hear the G♯5s (along with some E♭5s, which are also not noted). I'd say it would be best to look for the harmony notes, especially in this case, where they're usually pretty prominent and good.
I still haven't gone through all of Pure Heroine but what I've heard of it so far is gooooooood. The thing that impresses me the most about her voice is not the very strong lows (which are surely not expected at that age, but 17 is not that young an age), but how distinctive and 'personal' (not the word I was looking for, but I hope you get what I mean) it is.

at a stretch I can buy the B♭2 (which I don't believe are her)

But call me deaf, I just don't hear the G♯5 anywhere in the harmony at the timestamp of that song.

Fuck it, if B6 hears it, I won't argue.  Smile 
avatar
Starman
Range Advisor

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2013-12-22
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 am

The Bb2 is definitely there on the song Team, but for what it's worth, I do not think its her overdubed voice.  I think its a copy paste pitch shift.  The reason being, is because the glide is so damn similar on that note to the higher portion she's singing at the same time, that I have a huge suspicion it was pitch shifted just for some added effect.  

They match up too well, and for her to glide so swiftly at such low notes makes me think its not real.

However  . . . if you guys want to count it, count it.  Her lows are fucking amazing whether the gurl hits it or not.  Her C3s are damn real anyway.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Lupa on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:07 pm

B6 wrote:"Still Sane" harmony C3s sound legit to me. I wouldn't dismiss the "Team" B♭2s too quickly, either- they sound processed but not necessarily not her, to me. There's great C♯3s at 3:00 and 3:10 and E♭3s in the choruses in that same song, by the way. Oh and I think the "Buzzcut Season" lows bottom at E♭3 too (though I'd say the F3s there are definitely good enough to include), and I totally hear the G♯5s (along with some E♭5s, which are also not noted). I'd say it would be best to look for the harmony notes, especially in this case, where they're usually pretty prominent and good.
I still haven't gone through all of Pure Heroine but what I've heard of it so far is gooooooood. The thing that impresses me the most about her voice is not the very strong lows (which are surely not expected at that age, but 17 is not that young an age), but how distinctive and 'personal' (not the word I was looking for, but I hope you get what I mean) it is.


When I first heard the B♭2s in "Team" I didn't really think it was her, but the lower harmony in the choruses are definetely sung by her and she seems to sing the harmonies of almost all the songs.

About the G♯5s in "Buzzcut Season", glad to know I'm not the only one who hears it Very Happy but among all of her harmonies in the whole album, I think it's the less audible one. All of the others are really proeminent and there's probably no need to mark them differently.

Yes, 17 isn't that young, but I think she was 16 when she recorded the album (like there's a huge difference  Laughing ) and you don't usually find girls around her age with such a strong and solid low register


Last edited by Lupa on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Lupa

Posts : 211
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Starman wrote:speaking of low notes, I can totally see her being about to hit at least a B2 or a little lower sometime in the future.

I feel like this falls under the same category as that scene in Star Wars: A New Hope where Obi Wan Kenobi feels millions of voices suddenly cry out in terror.
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  B6 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:51 am

If you're hearing the C♯3s in the "A World Alone" chorus as her voice (which I think is correct)… then I think it's also reasonable to think she hits a G♯2 at the end of each chorus on the last "World alone". Sounds pretty solid especially near the end of the song, though I guess if you don't want to count them because they're faint and you're not sure about them it's alright(?).
avatar
B6
Range Advisor

Posts : 4682
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 20
Location : Desert island

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Lupa on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:39 pm

B6 wrote:If you're hearing the C♯3s in the "A World Alone" chorus as her voice (which I think is correct)… then I think it's also reasonable to think she hits a G♯2 at the end of each chorus on the last "World alone". Sounds pretty solid especially near the end of the song, though I guess if you don't want to count them because they're faint and you're not sure about them it's alright(?).

I can hear it, but I don't know if it's her, although she does seem to sing pretty much all of the backing vocals in the album, so I don't know. It's your call, Starman.
avatar
Lupa

Posts : 211
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:45 pm

Lurex wrote:I love her to death, and she's probably going to be my wife when I grow up
SHE'S MINE BENJI. WE WILL MAKE BEAUTIFUL SCOT-KIWI BABIES (Once she's over 18) AND MAKE AMAZING MUSIC TOGETHER.
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  The Great Heroins on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:46 pm

I sure as hell don't give a fuck if she isn't 18 yet they aren't putting me back in prison.. but I am getting that *#$@($*@ Lorde $&#&$*#(*@ on my $#@(@$*$.
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Kepp wrote:I sure as hell don't give a fuck if she isn't 18 yet they aren't putting me back in prison.. but I am getting that *#$@($*@ Lorde $&#&$*#(*@ on my $#@(@$*$.
WTF man? She is a lord though.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  The Great Heroins on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot Rimshot ..... Thumb up 
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Starman on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:19 pm

It would probably make more sense if I put in a colouring system for the notes found in the harmonies for her songs.
avatar
Starman
Range Advisor

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2013-12-22
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Karl on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:09 am


0:20 E♭3s.
1:03 E♭5s
1:40 F♯3

Karl
Range Advisor

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2013-07-26
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Lupa on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:16 am


G♯5s at 3:31? The higher harmony when she sings "I want them back" seems to top at G♯5

avatar
Lupa

Posts : 211
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Starman on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:23 am

Lupa wrote:
G♯5s at 3:31? The higher harmony when she sings "I want them back" seems to top at G♯5


I hear the G♯5 is that actually her voice though or is it an instrument?
avatar
Starman
Range Advisor

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2013-12-22
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Karl on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:44 am

I think it's an illusion.

Karl
Range Advisor

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2013-07-26
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Starman on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:08 pm

0.16 there's a G♯2, not sure whether pitch shifted or not though
avatar
Starman
Range Advisor

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2013-12-22
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  BioHazard634 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Yeah, that does not sound natural in any way. Are you sure it's even her? Either way I don't think you can count that. There is quite obviously some sort of effect on there and there's really no way she hit a note that low like that.
avatar
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

Posts : 1118
Join date : 2014-06-01
Age : 22
Location : Connecticut, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Antler on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:53 am

Homegirl can't hit below, I'd wager, a B2 or C3. Even her C#3s sound fairly strained. We have a similar range and tessitura and the lowest note I can hit is a B2. I see a lot of wishful thinking with people attributing muddy backing vocals and pitch shifts to her natural range.
avatar
Antler

Posts : 86
Join date : 2014-08-17
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Karl on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:57 am

Antler wrote:Homegirl can't hit below, I'd wager, a B2 or C3. Even her C#3s sound fairly strained. We have a similar range and tessitura and the lowest note I can hit is a B2. I see a lot of wishful thinking with people attributing muddy backing vocals and pitch shifts to her natural range.
That's not a logical way of thinking. Lots of singers sound uncomfortable on notes in their notes around this region, and have shown they can sing lower. Regardless, it doesn't really sound like her natural voice to me anyway.
EDIT: eg. Daniel Heiman sounds uncomfortable around ~G3

Karl
Range Advisor

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2013-07-26
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum