Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Starman on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Voice Type: Alto
Vocal Range: G♯2-G♯5

Significant High Notes:

• G♯5(''Buzzcut Season'')
  • F♯5 (''Biting Down'', ''Royals'', ''White Teeth Teens'')
  • E5 (''Royals'', ''White Teeth Teens'', ''The Love Club'')
  • E♭5 (''Glory And Gore'', ''Biting Down'', ''Buzzcut Season'', ''Yellow Flicker Beat'')
  • D5 (''Royals'', ''400 Lux'', ''Still Sane'', ''White Teeth Teens'', ''Bravado'', ''The Love Club'')
  • C♯5 (''Team'', ''Bravado'', ''Biting down'')
  • C5 (''Royals'', ''Buzzcut Season'', ''Glory And Gore'', ''Still Sane'', ''White Teeth Teens'', ''The Love Club'')
  • B4 (''Ribs'', ''A World Alone'', ''No Better'', ''Bravado'', ''Biting Down'', ''Everybody Wants To Rule The World'')
  • B♭4 (''Buzzcut Season'', ''Team'', ''No Better'', ''Million Dollar Bills'', ''Biting Down'')
  • A4 (''Royals'', ''400 Lux'', ''Still Sane'', ''White Teen Teens'', ''A World Alone'', ''Bravado'', ''The Love Club'')

Significant Low Notes:

• F♯3 (''Royals'', ''400 Lux'', ''Ribs'', ''Team'', ''Still Sane'', ''White Teeth Teens'', ''No Better'', ''Yellow Flicker Beat'')
  • F3 (''Glory And Gore'', ''Swingin' Party'', ''Buzzcut Season'', ''Still Sane'')
  • E3 (''Ribs'', ''A World Alone'', ''White Teeth Teens'', ''Team'', ''Everybody Wants To Rule The World'', ''Hold My Liquor (live)'', ''Still Sane'')
  • E♭3 (''Glory And Gore'', ''Team'', ''Yellow Flicker Beat'')
  • D3 (''Royals'', ''Buzzcut Season'', ''Everybody Wants To Rule The World'')
  • C♯3 (''Ribs'', ''A World Alone'', ''Team'')
  • C3 (''Still Sane'')
  • B♭2 (''Team'')
  • G♯2 (''A World Alone'')

*Purple marks notes found in backing harmony or general backing vocal.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

She only has one album, but this can be added to when she brings out more music.

Last edited by Starman on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:26 am; edited 7 times in total
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lorde (Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O'Connor)

Post  Lupa on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Nice thread Very Happy I never actually gave a proper listen to her songs, but today I decided to give it a shot and WOW. Definetely a singer to keep an eye on.
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:10 pm

Lupa wrote:Nice thread :DI never actually gave a proper listen to her songs, but today I decided to give it a shot and WOW. Definetely a singer to keep an eye on.

to be honest and I know i'm the guy who made the thread for her, I don't really think her music is that great. She seems like a shit version of Amy Winehouse, minus the groovy jazz arrangements and brilliant songs. I think she's a great songwriter, vocally she isn't anything impressive. Royals is quite good and so is Team. I hope her next album shows another side to her though.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:23 pm

I agree with everything the post above me says. I love her to death, and she's probably going to be my wife when I grow up since we're the same age, but despite how great Royals is her repertoire is nothing to write home about. I do expect great things, though.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Vocally she's nice but nothing like OH MY GOD, but she has this soothing tone and that's something I really like. I think she's got a pretty nice low register, some dense lows. We have to consider she's still pretty young but she definetely has potential to get much farther and that's what I meant, she's a singer we should keep an eye on, because someday she might surprise everyone with something great.
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Lupa wrote:Vocally she's nice but nothing like OH MY GOD, but she has this soothing tone and that's something I really like. I think she's got a pretty nice low register, some dense lows. We have to consider she's still pretty young but she definetely has potential to get much farther and that's what I meant, she's a singer we should keep an eye on, because someday she might surprise everyone with something great.

Well, I think she's already surprised a lot of people with the 'Pure Heroine' album. She's by no means a bad singer or artist, I just feel like there's more she can give us.

I agree for her age (17? I can't remember.) She can really dip her voice down there. I wasn't even going to make the OP as she's so young, but considering how mature her voice is I thought I may as well.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:01 am

Yeah, she's 17 and she has a really mature voice and also a mature personality, from what I've see. I know that discussion the voice type is not the point here, but I think you're right considering her as an Alto. I love her accent Very Happy
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 am

i can't really say that matureness is a good thing... besides that is mezmerizing how quickly artists get famous, you can't wait for the next record because a new one will came up and he/her will be the new fashion!
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:35 am

speaking of low notes, I can totally see her being about to hit at least a B2 or a little lower sometime in the future.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:30 am

I'd say her maturity is a good thing, because it makes her less likely to snap and become a fucked up artist in the future. You can't really say this about many artists around her age. And there will always come a time where a new artist comes along and gets a lot of attention, if the "older" ones are smart, they find a way not to disappear. I think Lorde has the potential to be around for much longer.

Anyway, I'm not sure, but I think there are two harmonies in the background in Buzzcut Season at 2:02 for example. One tops at G♯4 and the other one tops at G♯5, but I'm not really sure, it's barely audible and I don't even know if it's her.

ICUP wrote:speaking of low notes, I can totally see her being about to hit at least a B2 or a little lower sometime in the future.
I think there are some B♭2 in the background of Team. Again, not sure... could you check it out?
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:33 am

can you time stamp where the G♯5 it is on this video, because 2.02 only has a C5 in the on the lead vocal track.

Edit- Likewise Team, where's the B♭2

Last edited by ICUP on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:37 am

Sorry, I meant the higher harmony that starts at 2:02. The note I think it's G♯5 in the higher harmony is at 2:09. G♯4 in the lower harmony and G♯5 in the higher harmony, but i'm not sure.
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:41 am

Highest I'm hearing at 2.09 is like a B4. you're right it may be there but just completely inaudible.

can you timestamp the Team B♭2
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:58 am

The line starts at 1:00, and somewhere around 1:02 she hits B♭2 I think, it's when she sings "DANcing Around the lies we TELL, DANcing Around big eyes as WELL" in the background. She hits B♭3 in the lead vocals when singing these words and the lower harmony is one octave lower. Is that right?

The G♯5 in Buzzcut Season is the highest note in the higher harmony, but i'm not really sure if it is there. Try to listen to the whole part with the backing vocals to see if you can hear what I mean. Maybe I'm just crazy  Confused

Last edited by Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:08 am

The low backing vocal in Team doesn't sound like her imo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 am

full voice wrote:The low backing vocal in Team doesn't sound like her imo.

Yeah, I'm not really sure, but the backing vocals in the chorus are sung by her, I think. But it seems she sings most of the backing vocals in her album, I don't know if she worked with background singers. Considering background notes is always hard because sometimes you can't really tell if it is the singer or not.
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:26 am

full voice wrote:The low backing vocal in Team doesn't sound like her imo.

I agree. I hear a B♭2 but it sounds like a guy singing it.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:03 am

It's probably not her. I mean, she's 17. If she can go down to B♭2 now, imagine how low she would be able to go in the future  Laughing
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:13 am

What about the lower harmony in Still Sane? It goes down to C3, I think.

"E --- very -- thing - feels -- RIGHT" and then again "Chase paper get BY"
(D4 -- G3 ---- F3 ---- E3 ---- C3)

I hope this isn't too confusing, I tried to pitch every syllable.
The higher harmony does this part one octave higher, so it goes like D5/G4/F4/E4/C4

the line starts at 0:54 and the note is at 1:00

Did I get it right this time? Does it sound like her? I wanna help out, but I didn't have anything useful so far Sad
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:15 am

To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to her harmonies (unless, they stood out pretty well.) I just focused on her lead vocals.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:55 am

I get it, it's hard considering harmonies because it's hard to tell if it is the singer or not, so that's ok. The C3 (if there is a C3) in Still Sane is not really audible, you can hear the higher harmony better.
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:12 am

ICUP wrote:To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to her harmonies (unless, they stood out pretty well.) I just focused on her lead vocals.
I adore the harmonies in "Royals".
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Lupa wrote:It's probably not her. I mean, she's 17. If she can go down to B♭2 now, imagine how low she would be able to go in the future  Laughing
silly reasoning.

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:47 am

full voice wrote:
Lupa wrote:It's probably not her. I mean, she's 17. If she can go down to B♭2 now, imagine how low she would be able to go in the future  Laughing
silly reasoning.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:36 am

I'm not saying it's not her because of her age, I was just agreeing that it's probably not her and then I was just making an observation that if she can sing that low now that she's 17, she'll probably go much lower when she gets older. I think I didn't make myself clear.
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top