Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball

Post  bradphone on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 pm

I found out that i could use my handheld Zoom H1 recorder as a microphone, and i tried it out..
Its a damn good one Very Happy

Anyways, here`s another cover.
https://soundcloud.com/bradleyvandijk/wrecking-ball
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball

Post  Soprano Frustrada on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:20 am

your chest notes were really strained, and the falsetto parts were awkward, maybe try singing it an octave lower, or try to reduce the air pressure on the chest notes, so they don't strain.
Soprano Frustrada

View user profile http://ask.fm/SopranoFrustrada

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:28 am

Soprano Frustrada wrote:your chest notes were really strained, and the falsetto parts were awkward, maybe try singing it an octave lower, or try to reduce the air pressure on the chest notes, so they don't strain.

Singing it an octave lower?... That would make the lowest note an F2... hmm, could be possible.
I dont really think i sound that strained at all for the most part, i dó think that my highest note in chest voice (F4) sounds strained yeah... But the rest of the singing is because i was a bit insecure weither it would sound ok or not..

The falsetto doesn`t really sound awkward in my opinion, maybe the 2nd voice yeah... that sounds a bit awkward now that i listen to it again, but i strained quite a bit on those yeah.

I could try to sing it a few keys lower :)Thanks for the tip, i can see why you`re giving me that tip Smile

What exactly do you mean with "Air Pressure" ? I would gladly take your tip to improve my singing voice Smile
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:32 am

Soprano Frustrada wrote:your chest notes were really strained, and the falsetto parts were awkward, maybe try singing it an octave lower, or try to reduce the air pressure on the chest notes, so they don't strain.

are you fucking deaf? what part of that was strained? the falsetto sounded lovely as usual Brad, I hadn't even heard wrecking ball but if it sounds anything like this cover it can't be bad at all. good job

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:36 am

HeroBread wrote:

are you fucking deaf? what part of that was strained? the falsetto sounded lovely as usual Brad, I hadn't even heard wrecking ball but if it sounds anything like this cover it can't be bad at all. good job

I tried to imitate the original (Apart from the drums and the guitar in the chorus) But the original is more dancey.
Thanks! But i think he has a point, my highest chest note sounds kinda strained, and my 2nd voice falsetto sounds a tiny bit off pitch.. Maybe that is what he means?

This is the original Smile
I couldn`t pull of the Bb4s in my chest voice, so thats why i did the falsetto notes
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:40 am

dude it didn't sound strained at all, especially not "really strained"as he put it. Soprano Frustrada thinks non-strained singing is whispering into the mic so i wouldn't take his advice if i were you

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:42 am

HeroBread wrote:dude it didn't sound strained at all, especially not "really strained"as he put it. Soprano Frustrada thinks non-strained singing is whispering into the mic so i wouldn't take his advice if i were you

I laughed so hard at the "Soprano Frustrada thinks non-strained singing is whispering into the mic"

(Maybe that would tell the story behind his user name?, all his notes sound strained, so because of that he`s a very frustrated soprano)

Thanks Smile After hearing this i wont take his word.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:48 am

Agree with Herobread, the cover was pretty good, didn't note any kind of strainess or wathever it is called.
Soprano go listen some rock music, leave opera stuff alone.
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rustyfo on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 am

I agree that it didn't sound strained. The falsettos sounded generally fine as well, but I don't think it worked too well to do the chorus in falsetto. Maybe it's just because I have, unfortunately, heard the song so much but I was expecting to hear you sing it full, especially since afaik you are capable of it.
rustyfo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:50 am

rustyfo wrote:I agree that it didn't sound strained. The falsettos sounded generally fine as well, but I don't think it worked too well to do the chorus in falsetto. Maybe it's just because I have, unfortunately, heard the song so much but I was expecting to hear you sing it full, especially since afaik you are capable of it.

My voice is still kinda recovering from the flu.
I tried to sing it in full voice but i couldn`t reach the notes, and i didn`t want to sing the lower harmony on it, so i decided to play it "Safe" and sing it in falsetto.

Also tried to sing it an octave lower, but since my upper 3rd octave notes arent my most powerful/strongest notes it sounded kinda... weak..
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Soprano Frustrada on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:29 am

bradphone wrote:

Singing it an octave lower?... That would make the lowest note an F2... hmm, could be possible.
I dont really think i sound that strained at all for the most part, i dó think that my highest note in chest voice (F4) sounds strained yeah... But the rest of the singing is because i was a bit insecure weither it would sound ok or not..

The falsetto doesn`t really sound awkward in my opinion, maybe the 2nd voice yeah... that sounds a bit awkward now that i listen to it again, but i strained quite a bit on those yeah.

I could try to sing it a few keys lower :)Thanks for the tip, i can see why you`re giving me that tip Smile

What exactly do you mean with "Air Pressure" ? I would gladly take your tip to improve my singing voice Smile

what i meant with "air pressure" is that you're giving more air than needed to hit the note, and therefore gains a "Pushy" quality, and im advising you to try and regulate the amount of air, so the note doesn't sound like you're pushing your lungs out of your throat, and by awkward i meant the falsetto chorus, just sounded a bit out of place considering how the original song is, maybe a twangy head voice would have sounded more in the mood.
Soprano Frustrada

View user profile http://ask.fm/SopranoFrustrada

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:44 am

DonutsGalacticos wrote:Agree with Herobread, the cover was pretty good, didn't note any kind of strainess or wathever it is called.
Soprano go listen some rock music, leave opera stuff alone.

well said Donuts, my faithful companion

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 am

I just kept scrolling down expecting to see this huge argument and there wasn't one at all. I guess i'm going to have to go outside today for entertainment.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:10 am

Anyone saying this cover was pretty good is delusional. It is quite off pitch in places, the falsetto is horrendous and doesn't fit the song at all, it completely takes the punch out of the refrain and adds a comical effect instead. If you want to use falsetto for high pitched refrains then you need to learn to control the timbre of your falsetto instead of just singing it all with a breathy round neutral tone, vocal chords completely open. It isn't strained but it sounds wrong.

There are some songs you shouldn't cover. Be realistic. In the least change the key next time, you don't need to bring it down an entire octave.

Sorry if this was harsh but geez honesty will do you more good in the long run.
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 pm

for the record i was being honest Sad

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:25 pm

[quote="Leonard_Cohen"]Anyone saying this cover was pretty good is delusional. It is quite off pitch in places, the falsetto is horrendous and doesn't fit the song at all, it completely takes the punch out of the refrain and adds a comical effect instead. If you want to use falsetto for high pitched refrains then you need to learn to control the timbre of your falsetto instead of just singing it all with a breathy round neutral tone, vocal chords completely open. It isn't strained but it sounds wrong.

There are some songs you shouldn't cover. Be realistic. In the least change the key next time, you don't need to bring it down an entire octave.

I didnt bring it down a whole octave, i sang it in the original key, there is a reason i did sing it in falsetto instead of my chest voice as i had the flu (Still kinda have) and i dont want to ruin my vocal chords.

Anyways, i`m not a professional singer, i never had singing lessons, i sing for fun, not to make money out of it or with intentions to ever sing in a band, i just sing because i like it, and i dont think my singing voice ór my falsetto is "Horrendous"

I think its good to be honest, but to say that it sounds horrendous is pretty a pretty lousy statement.

Have a good day sir.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:14 pm

The chorus needs a lot of work indeed, but I don't think the verses were bad at all.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:31 am

I didn't mean to say that you sang it an octave down, I heard that it was in the original key. However I heard bringing it down an octave mentioned in the thread, which I thought seemed unnecessarily low hence they keyswitch.

I don't think your singing voice is horrendous either, in fact you've demonstrated a pretty good voice apart from your falsetto. The thing with your falsetto is that you feel from the sound of it how your vocal chords are far apart when you use it, leading to a breathy and monotone sound as well as trouble with diction when using it. When it comes to falsetto one needs to know how to add twang and nasality to sharpen its sound and reduce breathiness, as well as how to pronounce words without getting them to sound like obvious falsetto, this is done by adjusting the way the air flows through your throat, how much goes into noes and how much goes into the mouth, and by constricting and opening the part of your chords used for falsetto thereby adjusting the amount of air that is pushed through them. Learning to do these things allows you to sing dynamically in falsetto, it requires practice for almost everyone whereas people typically know how to sing dynamically with their normal voice naturally. When an average joe uses falsetto be it for speaking or singing his chords will be completely apart and he will have trouble pronouncing words and his diction will be off, but when a countertenor does it he can bring them together or let them be apart thereby allowing him a dynamic falsetto timbre and he will not lose his ability to pronounce or his diction.

The chorus of wrecking ball calls for a powerful ringing and clear falsetto, not a monotone breathy one, hence why the chorus failed.

Last edited by Leonard_Cohen on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:55 pm

I was used to hear classic songs by you hahaha. nice falsettos dude, when you sing wre e e eck mee was very very nice, and i dont find your voice strained in this one, the only thing i find is the chorus, you could do it better, i don't know how to describe the sound in english but sounded "airy" i don't know if i'm writing this right, but anyway nice work, do you think you can do the chorus in full voice?

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:28 pm

anibalf5 wrote:I was used to hear classic songs by you hahaha. nice falsettos dude, when you sing wre e e eck mee was very very nice, and i dont find your voice strained in this one, the only thing i find is the chorus, you could do it better, i don't know how to describe the sound in english but sounded "airy" i don't know if i'm writing this right, but anyway nice work, do you think you can do the chorus in full voice?

Thanks man Smile
I know what you mean indeed, it sounds kinda airy, i know how to use falsetto, but i dont have the right technique developed....

I dont think i can do it in full voice, i can sing phrases up to full E5s but i have to do it by phrasing towards the note.
The highest note i can belt without phrasing towards it is an A4... I dont know how to say this correctly though, so maybe this is a bit odd...
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:53 am

bradphone wrote:
Anyways, i`m not a professional singer, i never had singing lessons, i sing for fun, not to make money out of it or with intentions to ever sing in a band, i just sing because i like it, and i dont think my singing voice ór my falsetto is "Horrendous"

You should never think like this btw, it's a defence mechanism and it's not constructive at all; even if you're not a pro wouldn't you like to get better?
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 am

Leonard_Cohen wrote:
bradphone wrote:

You should never think like this btw, it's a defence mechanism and it's not constructive at all; even if you're not a pro wouldn't you like to get better?

once again i agree lovely cohen  Kiss 
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:27 am

Leonard_Cohen wrote:
bradphone wrote:

Offcourse i want to get better at singing.
It was quite a shitty way of expressing what i ment indeed..
I sing for fun, but it would be even more fun to be better and stable pitchwise.

I`m sorry for the comment i made earlier Smile
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top