U2 - Ordinary Love

View previous topic View next topic Go down

U2 - Ordinary Love

Post  bradphone on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:01 am

My voice is still recovering from the flu, but i decided to record the song anyways because i quite liked it Smile
The vocals sound a bit tinny because they`ve been sung into a pair of headphones.

https://soundcloud.com/bradleyvandijk/ordinary-love
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: U2 - Ordinary Love

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:12 am

Great cover brad, honestly i couldn't find anything bad to criticize about it, if you did the instrumentation too then  Clap 
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:24 am

DonutsGalacticos wrote:Great cover brad, honestly i couldn't find anything bad to criticize about it, if you did the instrumentation too then  Clap 

Yeah did, took me a while to find out what sounds were used on the song, and i tried to match them with some software instruments.

And i tried to do some larry-ish drum beat.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korven on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 am

Sounds very good, you sound a bit like Bono actually (I'm a real U2 fan so there's some substance to it when i say someone sounds like him) Smile
The only critique i have to give is that you still have to practice your pitch, it's more accurate than it used to but there's still some unsteadiness at some parts(the rising scale thing at around 0:50 for example).
Otherwise great!
 Tiphat 
Korven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 am

Korven wrote:Sounds very good, you sound a bit like Bono actually (I'm a real U2 fan so there's some substance to it when i say someone sounds like him) Smile
The only critique i have to give is that you still have to practice your pitch, it's more accurate than it used to but there's still some unsteadiness at some parts(the rising scale thing at around 0:50 for example).
Otherwise great!
 Tiphat 

Wow.... I dont really know what to say to this... Other than... which era Bono do i sound like?
Thanks for that awesome compliment, coming from another U2 fan here haha.

I`m still improving myself in pitch terms, atleast... i`m trying to, i dont really know how to get better pitch...
Can you give me some tips?

bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korven on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:34 am

bradphone wrote:

Wow.... I dont really know what to say to this... Other than... which era Bono do i sound like?

I`m still improving myself in pitch terms, atleast... i`m trying to, i dont really know how to get better pitch...

Well, i would say an older Bono, maybe 90's or 2000 something. Your voice isn't as light as his but that might be because of your flu? If i heard the parts of this recording that are completely in tune i could probably mistake it for Bono having a cold or something.

About practising pitch i'm not really sure on how to do that. Maybe you could try to just imitate melodies as correctly as possible, maybe playing something on a piano/guitar etc and just sing along, also harmonizing could help. A professional vocal coach could probably give some better tips Smile
Korven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:52 am

Korven wrote:
bradphone wrote:

Well, i would say an older Bono, maybe 90's or 2000 something. Your voice isn't as light as his but that might be because of your flu? If i heard the parts of this recording that are completely in tune i could probably mistake it for Bono having a cold or something.

About practising pitch i'm not really sure on how to do that. Maybe you could try to just imitate melodies as correctly as possible, maybe playing something on a piano/guitar etc and just sing along, also harmonizing could help. A professional vocal coach could probably give some better tips Smile

Ahh, cool Smile I was going for a "popmart" Bono myself..

I`m not as light in terms of vocals indeed, i dont know if thats the flu or anything thats coming up to me.
Thats a good idea btw, practicing pitch by harmonizing, or singing a melody as correctly as possible Smile

Thanks Smile I really like this compliment, means the world to me.

If you have any requests on a U2 song, please tell me, then i can see what i can do.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korven on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:59 am

bradphone wrote:

Ahh, cool :)I was going for a "popmart" Bono myself..

I`m not as light in terms of vocals indeed, i dont know if thats the flu or anything thats coming up to me.
Thats a good idea btw, practicing pitch by harmonizing, or singing a melody as correctly as possible Smile

Thanks :)I really like this compliment, means the world to me.

If you have any requests on a U2 song, please tell me, then i can see what i can do.
I wish you all the luck! I'm looking forward to hear more covers form you! And i really like Miracle Drug, it's cool  Thumb up 
Korven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:24 am

Korven wrote:
bradphone wrote:

Ahh, cool :)I was going for a "popmart" Bono myself..

Thanks :)I really like this compliment, means the world to me.

I wish you all the luck! I'm looking forward to hear more covers form you! And i really like Miracle Drug, it's cool  Thumb up 

I`m listening to it as we speak, pretty neat song.
Lets see if i can put it online tonight!
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonfripp on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:39 am

I agree with korven, evoked U2 almost instantly and I haven't really heard much of them. You've got that kind of 'yawn' like wail of Bono down pat. Second his criticism too, just a bit of improvement in pitching. Also, I know your voice is down so maybe when you are fine, you could try singing it going a little softly on your attack. It has a slightly shouty quality in places...I am just nitpicking though. Pretty good cover all said.

Crimsonfripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:14 am

Crimsonfripp wrote:I agree with korven, evoked U2 almost instantly and I haven't really heard much of them.  You've got that kind of 'yawn' like wail of Bono down pat.  Second his criticism too, just a bit of improvement in pitching.  Also, I know your voice is down so maybe when you are fine, you could try singing it going a little softly on your attack.  It has a slightly shouty quality in places...I am just nitpicking though.  Pretty good cover all said.

I should try to lower some songs in key and just try to work on my pitch in my comfortzone.
But... What do you mean with "Yawn" like wail of Bono?...
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonfripp on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:34 am

Just the way Bono attacks a note....very wide, open throated but soft sound. It gives (to me) the effect of singing from just under the nose, that's what I meant by yawn-like wail. Some voice instructors tell students to learn singing with an open sound by imitating a yawn.

Crimsonfripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:48 am

Crimsonfripp wrote:Just the way Bono attacks a note....very wide, open throated but soft sound.  It gives (to me) the effect of singing from just under the nose, that's what I meant by yawn-like wail.  Some voice instructors tell students to learn singing with an open sound by imitating a yawn.

Ahh like that! Yeah, i do sing like that, it sounds weird at first, but i hear it in my singing aswell, it makes it pitch wise more stable ánd it gives my voice more dynamics..
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonfripp on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:49 am

I am not sure I remember it in your other covers that I heard but in this song it was noticeable (and apt).

Crimsonfripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 am

Crimsonfripp wrote:I am not sure I remember it in your other covers that I heard but in this song it was noticeable (and apt).

Apt?...
(Sorry, english is not my native languege)
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonfripp on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:58 am

Not mine either Smile, sorry not to have kept it simple. Apt = appropriate/suitable.

Crimsonfripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:04 am

Crimsonfripp wrote:Not mine either Smile, sorry not to have kept it simple. Apt = appropriate/suitable.

Ahh, thanks Smile
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:18 am

Verses for the most part sound great. But again you have no control over your falsetto, you get the typical awkward guy speaking in falsetto diction once you enter it and the timbre is lame. The full notes on the refrain are partly off pitch and lack compared to the verses.

All in all the way you sung the verses were really really good, but the refrain is an anticlimax of grand proportions.
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:42 am

Leonard_Cohen wrote:Verses for the most part sound great. But again you have no control over your falsetto, you get the typical awkward guy speaking in falsetto diction once you enter it and the timbre is lame. The full notes on the refrain are partly off pitch and lack compared to the verses.

All in all the way you sung the verses were really really good, but the refrain is an anticlimax of grand proportions.

I might not have the best voice out here, but i do really disagree with you on the "You have no control over your falsetto"

How would you sound, trying to sing in falsetto when you have the flu?
My falsetto control is (in my own opinion) pretty decent actually, offcourse i`m not a pro-singer, but i dont think its "Awkward guy speaking in falsetto"

bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:35 pm

bradphone wrote:
Leonard_Cohen wrote:Verses for the most part sound great. But again you have no control over your falsetto, you get the typical awkward guy speaking in falsetto diction once you enter it and the timbre is lame. The full notes on the refrain are partly off pitch and lack compared to the verses.

I might not have the best voice out here, but i do really disagree with you on the "You have no control over your falsetto"

How would you sound, trying to sing in falsetto when you have the flu?
My falsetto control is (in my own opinion) pretty decent actually, offcourse i`m not a pro-singer, but i dont think its "Awkward guy speaking in falsetto"

Why do you post covers while you have the flu, if you're just going to use it as a means to deflect any critique?

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:37 pm

GT wrote:Why do you post covers while you have the flu, if you're just going to use it as a means to deflect any critique?

THIS!
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korven on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:26 pm

I think the falsetto part was pretty good. I remeber being impressed at the part where you alternate between falsetto and chest voice between words. I'm gonna listen again when I have the time and come back with critique or praise for the falsetto Smile
Korven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Korven wrote:I think the falsetto part was pretty good. I remeber being impressed at the part where you alternate between falsetto and chest voice between words. I'm gonna listen again when I have the time and come back with critique or praise for the falsetto Smile

Being impressed with it?.. I`m listening to it right now and i think it sounds kinda flat at times..
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel-22 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:54 pm

you should of waited til you were better before you attempted singing Smile it's just common sense dude, you're a decent singer in general. just sing when you are well is all

Gabriel-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top