How this section works

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How this section works

Post  MrToddington on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

This sub-forum is designed for you guys to make individual threads for your vocal performances. These could be covers, or original songs, for example.

The thread-ordering is altered as well; posts with fewer replies will appear first, as opposed to newest threads. This is to try and encourage feedback on others' works. I might change this after we get a good idea of how things are going though.

Anyway, feel free to reply to this thread if you have any questions. Smile
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How this section works

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 pm

I have a feeling making individual threads for each cover could turn spammy, or just really bad looking. Perhaps there is another way? The subforum is a cool idea, I just think that it might be risky with this in mind.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 am

We'll see how it works out. I think the only way we can really know if this way will work better is to try it for a while. If we later decide we want to go back to the previous way, no harm done. I think the ordering of threads with those with least replies first could be a good way of avoiding covers being overlooked as could sometimes happen on the Covers Thread.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 am

That is actually a very good idea yeah.
Indeed, in the old cover forum you overlooked quite a lot of songs from time to time because of all the replies.
And that shouldn`t happen now.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korven on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 am

So far i think this is working out great! I feel like the cover i posted here gets more real attention from people who actually care to listen and review. In the old cover thread people just wrote short forced reviews bacause of that rule about reviewing before posting. Also, i think the posts here will be more serious and we'll have less crappy half-done covers. Again, in the old cover thread we just had a flood of covers that nobody would review.
Korven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:32 pm

There is no need for threads to be ordered according to replies because there are too few replies on the threads. The effect is that if you get 3 replies (not very many at all) then you end up on the second page and no one will reply to yo shit again. That's just stupid, look at the section, the avg number of replies is like 1.5; there is not a single thread on the first page with more than two replies, with that in mind the system just doesn't work at all whatsoever; its really really bad.

Threads disappear ending up on the second page even before you've had a chance to reply to them. And if you do you push that thread down far as fuck leaving whoever made it with even less of a chance to get some crits and opinions. And don't you dare reply to your own thread thanking someone for giving good critique or asking questions about certain parts of your singing you'll end killing your own thread. People on rangeplace are older and more mature nowadays, they don't need this crap. Again, the first page in this section averages 1.5 replies, is there any room for discussion; is there any room for actually helping one another grow and become better as singers?The answer is a big fat NO. Even if you frequently check the second or third pages of the section it's just a needless complication and I'm fairly certain most people don't do that all too often.  Please change this immediately there is no arguing it.

I also think that there's way too much backpatting and way too little constructive criticism being given, don't you guys want to grow as singers?
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timqwe on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:20 pm

I agree. The system worked when there were just a few topics, but now they just get pushed down to soon. The covers with zero or just one reply are usually covers of the more frequently posting users, which leads to less attention for the otjer users.
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Here's the idea Greg, Garric, myself, and the others on Skype thought would work:
Let's stop this horrendous posting a new thread for each cover, and make threads for each user, sorted alphabetically, where covers can be posted and commented upon by users. This will stop clutter, and we can do the as this one where we can see where new posts are, but it's not a big clusterfuck like it is now.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Good idea, I'm all for it. Smile
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Sounds like an awesome idea. Smile I wasn't really unsatisfied with the old system until you said anything though. I can definitely see how it's a bit too cluttered as is. Plus, if someone is interested in hearing one person in particular they can just click their thread rather than having to search a whole scattered database to find a cover by them. I think it will give everyone a more fair chance to be heard.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:14 am

considering nobody posts covers anyway, i don't see a need for reform Laughing
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:04 am

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:Here's the idea Greg, Garric, myself, and the others on Skype thought would work:
Let's stop this horrendous posting a new thread for each cover, and make threads for each user, sorted alphabetically, where covers can be posted and commented upon by users. This will stop clutter, and we can do the as this one where we can see where new posts are, but it's not a big clusterfuck like it is now.

Great idea!!
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Yes it is a great idea. Can we please change it so that this section works normally and bumps thread up instead of down when they get replies?
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dxfifa on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:07 pm

You can only find threads by title and not username so I find myself having to read the title in my posts page, copy all I can see, and then search for it
dxfifa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top