Robin Thicke

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Robin Thicke

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:06 am

Voice type: Tenor
Vocal range: F2-B♭5

Significant high notes:

B♭5 ("State of Shock" live on Duets 2012)
A5 ("Cherry Blue Skies", "Ooo La La")
F♯5 ("Cherry Blue Skies", "Ain't No Hat 4 That", "Pressure", "Sex Therapy" live on The Ellen DeGeneres Show 2010, "Tears on My Tuxedo")
F5 ("Angels")
E5 ("Exhale (Shoop Shoop)", "Pressure")
E♭5 ("Shadow of Doubt")
D5 ("Blurred Lines", "Feel Good", "For the Rest of My Life", "Million Dolla Baby", "Ooo La La", "Start with a Kiss")
C♯5 ("Angels", "Cry No More", "Give It 2 U", "I Don't Know How It Feels to Be U")
C5 ("2 the Sky")
B4 ("For the Rest of My Life")
B♭4 ("Angels" live, "All Tied Up", "Pressure", "When I Get You Alone")
A4 ("Blurred Lines", "For the Rest of My Life", "Get in My Way", "Mission", "Ooo La La", "Pressure", "Shadow of Doubt", "What Would I Be?")
G♯4 ("I Don't Know How It Feels to Be U", "When I Get You Alone")
G4 ("Blurred Lines", "For the Rest of My Life", "Get in My Way", "I'm an Animal", "Ooo La La", "The Good Life", "Top of the World")
F♯4 ("Ain't No Hat 4 That", "Dreamworld", "For the Rest of My Life", "Pressure")

Significant low notes:

C3 ("Mission")
B♭2 ("Cocaine")
A2 ("The Stupid Things", "Top of the World")
G♯2 ("Complicated", "Rollacoasta")
G2 ("Blurred Lines", "Go Stupid 4 U", "Look At Me", "Put Your Lovin on Me", "Take It Easy on Me")
F♯2 ("Can U Believe", "Give It 2 U", "Rollacoasta")
F2 ("Feel Good", "Take It Easy on Me")
*Purple marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise muffled/obscured in the song mix.
*Blue marks falsetto notes.
*Italics mark speaking.

Robin Thicke's been in the business for a long time, but has only recently rocketed into great heights, mainly thanks to his collab smash hit with Pharrell. Thicke's voice sounds great, and he has a knack at writing memorable tunes, but his career has also been plagued with various claims of plagiarism and uncredited samples. It's a shame, because Robin does possess a great instrument and a tasteful understanding of melodies, but his love for the music of Marvin Gaye sometimes becomes - to say it nicely - almost too apparent.

Robin's known for his bright tenor and a conventional use of a light falsetto. His lower register often has an added 'whisper' as a sensual effect, but it's solid nonetheless, whereas his belts are pretty much always produced with the larynx twanked high up, creating a vocal tone reminiscent of Justin Timberlake's: they're particularly soft and delicate, and he seldom uses much volume to produce them. His voice also has a small husky effect to it, which adds to the character of his vocal tone. Falsetto remains a big part of his trademark style, and Robin uses it extensively, often with an airy, quiet sound. His most apparent influences remain (surprise, surprise) Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson and his peer Justin Timberlake. (Or vice versa?)

Vocal strengths: Robin's voice is very suitable for soft, delicate ballads, and he's got a very colourful vocal tone. In addition, his lower register and falsetto sound great, and especially his falsetto reaches rather height without much effort. Thicke also knows how to use melismas very tastefully and fittingly, as showcased in various songs throughout his career, and I'm a particular fan of his trademark runs on "Blurred Lines".

Vocal weaknesses: Thicke's voice is rather weak and quiet, and he can't really seem to belt out with much power. He also has certain off-pitch moments live, most noticeably on the recent disastrous VMA performance with Miley. He is also rather predictable as a singer, and rarely uses different techniques or styles outside his comfort zone.

Spoiler:
Here's a couple of vocal performances by Thicke I personally enjoy:

(The last one showcases the least of his vocal talent, but it's a lot of fun, especially the chorus.)

Last edited by Meager Smotherer on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Robin Thicke

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:29 am

Can of worms.

Back to top Go down

Post  rustyfo on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 am

Awesome, love the short essay. Gives an added, much more interesting, dimension to the vocal dissection.
rustyfo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Meager Smotherer wrote: He also has certain off-pitch moments live, most noticeably on the recent disastrous VMA performance with Miley.

no wonder why, with that crazy bitch shaking her ass against his penis, off pitching was rather a minor problem

DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Wow, this is an awesome thread!  I love the description, gives me some serious ideas.  I always thought that Thicke was  bad just based off the fact that he is in pop charts right now but after listening to his most famous "Blurred Lines" i'm starting to rethink my assumption.  Yeah it's pretty poppy with all the typical sexual lyrics but it is definitely a breath of fresh air musically from the typical format... lol.  For example, the harmonies, bass line, unique percussion, and R&B falsetto are all really sweet.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:55 am

This guys creeps me the fuck out especially here.

This whole video just gives me the creeps.. Just evil to say the least...

Its too bad because he actually has talent but hes getting pushed around by the ass-wipes that run the music industry.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:28 am

Oh yeah I almost forgot, he hit some mellow falsetto B4s in "Get her Back"  Laughing 
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuoso on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:43 am

I like how this thread still has the Blue color system. I for one like the system (interesting to see full voice limit for vocalist). Not sure why we are moving away from it...
Virtuoso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:49 am

Virtuoso wrote:I like how this thread still has the Blue color system. I for one like the system (interesting to see full voice limit for vocalist). Not sure why we are moving away from it...
A lot of people on the forum don't mind separating really soft falsetto, because it is easy and doesn't cause arguments. The blue/orange/red system on the other hand is outdated and caused a lot. The reason the forum moved away from that full voice bullshit is because it's subjective and arbitrary. Full voice shouldn't be an indication of talent, imo.

Last edited by Karl on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:50 am

Virtuoso wrote:I like how this thread still has the Blue color system. I for one like the system (interesting to see full voice limit for vocalist). Not sure why we are moving away from it...

Because (for the millionth time) that system leads to debates about what counts as a full/falsetto note. And then we spend 10 pages arguing why it's one or the other. There's no point.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuoso on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:10 am

Karl wrote:
A lot of people on the forum don't mind separating really soft falsetto, because it is easy and doesn't cause arguments. The blue/orange/red system on the other hand is outdated and caused a lot. The reason the forum moved away from that full voice bullshit is because it's subjective and arbitrary. Full voice shouldn't be an indication of talent, imo.

I agree. Usually don't like to delve into the shitstorm discussions about it on other threads so I didn't know.

Also that's not what I meant. I agree that range doesn't mean shit. My favorite vocalists are Sinatra and Buble, and they don't need to do much to sound great!
Virtuoso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:25 am

I agree ^^^ We should just leave the blue color system and get rid of all the other colors which is just as well because blue happens to be my favorite color anyways Very Happy.

Falsetto is easy to hear but frankly the rest of the colors were just opinion and led to petty arguments.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:26 am

wabba_treads wrote:I agree ^^^ We should just leave the blue color system and get rid of all the other colors which is just as well because blue happens to be my favorite color anyways Very Happy.

Falsetto is easy to hear but frankly the rest of the colors were just opinion and led to petty arguments.

You always had the option of using the blue system if you want. The forum never enforced a strict rule saying you can't. I just don't see the point in using it that system.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:40 am

i love this guys voice and im so sad that his career is ruined
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:01 am

LUREX wrote:i love this guys voice and im so sad that his career is ruined

How come his career is ruined? (honestly, haven't heard anything)
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuoso on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:05 am

Starman wrote:

People are attacking him in response to his new album named after his ex wife. Most would agree that the video is edgy with sketchy innuendos. For crying out loud, the video is a closeup of his beaten face with awkward texts!

I like this guy and hope he sticks around for a while.
Virtuoso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 am

Virtuoso wrote:
Starman wrote:

People are attacking him in response to his new album named after his ex wife. Most would agree that the video is edgy with sketchy innuendos. For crying out loud, the video is a closeup of his beaten face with awkward texts!

I like this guy and hope he sticks around for a while.

"Get her Back" is filled with double-meanings. It sounds like a sincere apology at first... until you watch the music video. Read this guys to see what I mean...

http://vigilantcitizen.com/musicbusiness/robin-thickes-video-get-back/
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:48 am

http://thesource.com/2014/06/18/check-out-the-artwork-tracklist-to-robin-thickes-new-album-paula/
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/01/robin-thicke-trolled-twitter-qa-misogynist-ask-anything-pr-fail

In Love It's both sad and entertaining to watch this cacophony unveil little by little... The whole Paula-incident is simply laughable.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:22 am

"On a scale of R. Kelly to Phil Spector, how do you intend to "Get Her Back?" #AskThicke"

In Love 
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:31 am

wabba_treads wrote:This guys creeps me the fuck out especially here.

Its too bad because he actually has talent but hes getting pushed around by the ass-wipes that run the music industry.

I just watched that for the first time. That was disturbing! The poppy music did not match how sinister that was. also ''This is only the beginning''? Seriously? there's more to come? what a dick!
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Starman wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:This guys creeps me the fuck out especially here.

I just watched that for the first time. That was disturbing! The poppy music did not match how sinister that was. also ''This is only the beginning''? Seriously? there's more to come? what a dick!

Lol if you watch the video guys, you can see how he plans to "Get her Back"  Confused

Its full of subliminal images like this flash for a split second.

How romantic...

The illuminati are really reaching now O_o
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:42 pm

What in the god damn sam hell blue blazes Christ in heaven is wrong with Thicke!?!  "Yeah, I need to get her back with this one.", "Better insert Satan himself, that will get her blood hot!"
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I like the song, shame on the video being what it is. I don't personally believe in all the 'illuminati' talk spreading around (there's obviously a power structure in the deepest reaches of the industry, but not the kind that some people constantly talk about imo), I just find Thicke's approach to the video creepy. Rolling Eyes Dude, let it go.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Yeah, I agree. Obviously with us being humans there will be groups and stuff, but the NWO? Sounds unlikely to me.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Durrr 

Sorry to stir things up guys, I just found the symbolism disturbing in that video (something that usually never happens to me). I recommend the site I linked though, (vigilant citizen.com) it's really interesting as it tells you the true inner workings of the music industry and how it influences the public. I'm not advertising or anything, just thought some of you guys might be interested in checking it out.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top