View previous topic View next topic Go down

Manda Ophuis

Post  Lupa on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:23 am

Current status: READY FOR REVIEW

Vocal Range: D3 - B5

Significant High Notes:

• B5 ("Beyond Evil")
  • B♭5 ("The Taker", "Wheel of Fortune")
  • A5 ("Angel in the Dark", "From Beneath You It Devours", "Threefold Law", "The Taker")
  • G♯5 ("Empress", "The Taker", "Beyond Evil", "Wheel of Fortune")
  • G5 ("Threefold Law", "Lucifer", "Say", "Caught in the Middle", "From Beneath You It Devours", "The Taker", "Beyond Evil")
  • F♯5 ("Afterlife", "It’s Over", "If You Could", "Threefold Law", "Empress", "Cry", "In Control", "Like The Air")
  • F5 ("Threefold Law", "Allein", "Angel in the Dark", "Caught in the Middle", "Say", "The Taker", "Beyond Evil", "Never")
  • E5 ("Lucifer", "High Enough", "Afterlife", "It’s Over", "Broken", "If You Could", "I Live", "Empress", "From Beneath You It Devours", "Cry", "Angel in the Dark" live, "Bless the Child", "Mystic", "No More", "Remember", "Like the Air", "Never")
  • E♭5 ("Release Me", "Allein", "Say", "Believe", "Caught in the Middle", "Stay With Me", "Threefold Law", "Home", "Lost Inside", "Wheel of Fortune")
  • D5 ("Lucifer", "Angel in the Dark", "Allein", "Whenever", "Believe", "Rush", "If You Could", "I Live", "Threefold Law", "Empress", "The Taker", "Disclosure", "Bless the Child", "No More", "The Way I Feel", "Lost Inside", "Remember", "Like the Air", "Never")
  • C♯5 ("Cry", "Release Me", "If You Could", "Home", "Remember", "Never")
  • C5 ("Disclosure", "Believe", "Broken", "Allein", "Caught in the Middle", "Stay With Me", "Angel in the Dark" live, "In Control")

Significant Low Notes

• A3 ("Afterlife", "High Enough", "Disclosure", "Broken", "No More", "Lost Inside", "Remember")
  • G3 ("Broken", "I Live")
  • F♯3 ("High Enough", "Lost Inside", "Broken", "Remember")
  • F3 ("Empress", "Say", "Release Me")
  • E3 ("From Beneath You It Devours", "Broken")
  • D3 ("Broken")

Manda Ophuis is Nemesea's lead singer. She has nice low notes and she has a really powerfull chest voice that goes up to G5, probably even higher. She used to sing with "operatic quality" in the first Nemesea album, but then they changed their style.

Last edited by Lupa on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 am; edited 5 times in total
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Manda Ophuis

Post  Roehoer on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks for making a thread for her! I live in Groningen and saw Nemesea live in Baflo back in 2005, and immediately fell in love with her voice. I stopped listening after they changed style though. Still awesome voice!  Very Happy 

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 am

Thank you for replying Smile Well, they are not bad, I really liked her vocals on the first album and all the instruments were just great, but I like their style nowadays too. I just think she should sing with her higher register with "operatic quality" more often, it's really beautiful and I'm pretty sure she can sing higher.
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milk&honey on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:25 am

@Lupa Nice thread! Manda has an amazing voice. ''Mana'' is one of my top-favorite albums. I got to listen their 3rd album, after watching your vocal range video and hearing all these super-high belted notes it has Wink 
Now, about the notewatching it seems like the top notes and bottom notes of most of the songs are listed already. I will add some more findings.

The Quiet Resistance:

C5 and E♭5 in the chorus

Many C#5s in the chorus and in the whole song, E5 in 2:34

Many D5s.

C5s in the chorus

During the spoken part (0:21-0:41) she goes really low, propably around F3. I am not sure though, and the whole part is a little whisper-y, so I dont't know if it counts.

Mana:

A5-F#5-E♭5 I think in 1:57, D5 in 2:38

D5 at 1:03, short E5 at 1:35, F#5 and G#5 I think at 2:05

D5 at 1:22, E5 at 2:07, G5, A5 then tops to the Bb5 at 1:50, F5 at 4:07

Belted E5 in 2:51

D5 in the chorus

F5 at 1:31, G5 at 1:45, D5 at 2:17

E5 and F#5 at 1:05

Live:

They 've made a different version of ''Angel in the Dark'' that they play live now and can also be found in their live album. Manda sings lower and in the chorus there are belted C5s and E5s instead of F5 and A5. Here's an example.

Plus A3 in 1:40?

There 's a scream that I can't pitch in the begining. I don't know if it 's worth-listing

I didn't that Nemesea had covered Nightwish. Anyway, it sounds like Manda's voice. Very nice singning. D5 and E5 in the chorus.

Guest:

Manda sustains belted E5 twice at 2:10 and 3:15

She sings backing vocals and there 's a super high note at 2:32 that I cannot pitch.

She is also supposed to have sung in Dark Moor's ''Tarot'', but I don't know in which track.
milk&honey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks A LOT for your help, I did this roughly, so I didn't put many things, I'm glad you helped me Smile I've added your findings and some others as well.

milk&honey wrote:
I think it's B3 instead of A3 at 1:40

milk&honey wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVuS1cLCldI
I think it's B5

milk&honey wrote:
I can't hear anything at the timestamp  scratch
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milk&honey on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:09 am

Great to see so many notes were added!
About the F3 in ''Release Me'', did you check the part yourself?

Lupa wrote:
I think it's B5
Yes, that scream is a B5.

Lupa wrote:
milk&honey wrote:
I can't hear anything at the timestamp  scratch
It 's a high pitched noise, when the male singer sings ''my DE-ar''. I think it 's Manda's falsetto. I may be wrong.
milk&honey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:24 am

I hear it. It's a C6. Maybe C7? May not be her voice though.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:01 pm

I checked Release Me and I found low notes, I can hear some lows and I think I heard one F3, but now that I checked it again, I can't find it  scratch  I can hear G3s, but I did find F3 before hahaha

Karl wrote:I hear it. It's a C6. Maybe C7? May not be her voice though.
Really? I think I might be deaf, I still can't hear a thing Sad I just hear C5s and one B4 when she sings "Dream on, my dear"
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:24 pm

It's very faint in the background, not held for very long and you probably percieve it as a different instrument. It's the piercing noise that starts before the male vocalist says "dream on". Again, it might not be her voice.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:04 pm

It's true then, I'm deaf. Still can't hear a thing. But just because I can't hear it, doesn't mean it's not there. Should I add it as C6 then?
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:27 pm

2:30 - Sounds like a whistle register note to me now. C7. Overlayed exactly when the male vocalist says "dream" towards the end of the word it gets more audible.
2:35 - The same thing except sounds an octave lower, and not sustained. C6 and B5 this time. Weird harmonic stuff going on with these notes, making me unsure of the octave.
2:46 - Brief C6.

I'm not entirely sold that it's a vocal note. Could be mouth whistling or a guitar, or even a synth.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:34 pm

I kinda hear it now, but I don't think it's her voice
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milk&honey on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:15 am

I listened to ''In Control''. It has some really good songs Surprised

In Control:

A3 at 0:44, D5 in the chorus, like at 1:04, and E5 in the last chorus at 2:48

C5 at 2:03, F#5 in 2:48

C#5 and Eb5 in the chorus

falsetto-ish D5 and C5 at 1:08 and then again D5s and C5s from 2: 55 and on, belted and longer this time

Besides the F#3, is there also an A3, when she sings ''...heart AND mind'' at 0:17 for example?
D5 in the chorus at  0:52,Εb5? in 2:19

A3??? at 0:34 i think, many C#5s like at 0:36, D5 in the chorus, E5 in 2:24

Many D5s all through the song, E5 and F#5 at 1:55.

C#5 at 0:37, D5 at 1:11, E5 at 1:16, F#5 ? at 1:38, one more high belted note at 1:44

Also, it turns out Manda has a big role in Dark Moor album "Tarot". Most of her notes though are not very audible or they are in the 4th octave  Confused

Eb5 in 0:57?
milk&honey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks again for all the findings Very Happy I think the F♯5 in "Never" sounds more like a G, but I'm can't figure out if it's in the 4th or 5th octave scratch The high note at 1:44 sounds like F5. I also hear one F♯3 in "Remember" at 2:42.

Oh, and I will try to check other songs from Dark Moor to see if I find anything. Btw, besides the E♭5 that you mentioned, I hear some high 5th octave notes in the chorus. G♯5 at 1:04 and 1:11, for example and  then B♭5 at 3:23 and 3:31.
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B6 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:56 am

Lupa wrote:I think the F♯5 in "Never" sounds more like a G, but I'm can't figure out if it's in the 4th or 5th octave scratch
If you're talking about the note at 1:38, that's a D5.
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:59 am

I was talking about the one at the background at the timestamp. The main vocal hits D5 at the time, but there is another harmony in the background, I think it's a G, just can't figure out the octave. Sounds like 5th to me
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milk&honey on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:54 am

Oh, I had serious doubts about the lows in "Remember", good thing you found the F#3.
Also, it is good that you are checking the "Tarot" songs. If there are notes as high a B♭5 it's gonna be worth it. After that, I don' think there is anything else to notewatch. I 've also listened to their live album and their "No More" demo and the songs are not really different from the studio versions.
milk&honey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top