Kim Benzie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kim Benzie

Post  Danerage on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:16 am


Band: Dead Letter Circus
Singing Voice Type: Tenor

Examples of Singing:
<One Step>
<Here We Divide
<Are We Closer>
<The Mile>
<Disconnect and Apply>
<This Long Hour>

E5: <The Mile, Alien>
E♭5: <Are We Closer, Alien, Cage, The Design>
D5: <Alien, Here we Divide, One Step, Big, Cage, The Drum, This is the Warning>
C♯5: <Disconnect and Apply, This Life Awake, Alien, Next in Line, Here we Divide, Big, Space on the Wall, Walk>
C5: <One Step, The Mile, Lines, Are We Closer, Tremors, Here we Divide, Big, This Long Hour, The Design, This is the Warning>
B4: <Disconnect and Apply, Are We Closer, Alien, Next in Line, Reaction, Tremors, Here we Divide, Space on the Wall, The Drum>
B♭4: <Lines, Reaction, Cage, Walk>
A4: <Next in Line, Space on the Wall, The Drum>

E3: <Tremors, The Drum, This is the Warning>
D3: <This Long Hour>
C3: <Cage>
G♯2: <Cage>


Last edited by Danerage on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Danerage

Posts : 255
Join date : 2012-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Loopholeinlimbo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:21 am

What voices is he using for the high notes?
Is it head voice or chest?
This may well seem like a stupid question, but thanks for any answers Very Happy

Loopholeinlimbo

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:54 am

Mixed voice (chest and head blended together).
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Loopholeinlimbo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:10 am

Even the E5?
How can that be possible? XD

Loopholeinlimbo

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:14 am

Your chest voice ends and you enter the mixed register. The majority of pop singers use mixed voice for their highs.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Danerage on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Loopholeinlimbo wrote:Even the E5?
How can that be possible? XD
The first E5 in 'Alien' is mixed and pretty nice. Still super light, though. He tends quit pulling so much chest when he passes C#5, where he moves from overdrive into distinctly curbing approach. You can hear him switch this way in 'Here We Divide' when he goes for the D5, if you pay attention to the timbre of the note when it's ending - at that point he's closer to head voice, but still attempting to keep an open mix without straining by keeping his throat wide open.


T. wrote:Your chest voice ends and you enter the mixed register. The majority of pop singers use mixed voice for their highs.
Everyone uses mixed voice. I can hear it in most people's speech, even. Sing the word 'sung' and hold onto the NG only, whoosh! you're technically in mix... pleasant sounding or not. But yeah, pretty much every professional singer uses it and every single amateur singer avoids it. In the beginning it sounds weak and feels like a balancing act, resulting in it ends up dismissed as falsetto - or worse; useless.
avatar
Danerage

Posts : 255
Join date : 2012-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Loopholeinlimbo on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 am

Danerage wrote:
Loopholeinlimbo wrote:Even the E5?
How can that be possible? XD
The first E5 in 'Alien' is mixed and pretty nice. Still super light, though. He tends quit pulling so much chest when he passes C#5, where he moves from overdrive into distinctly curbing approach. You can hear him switch this way in 'Here We Divide' when he goes for the D5, if you pay attention to the timbre of the note when it's ending - at that point he's closer to head voice, but still attempting to keep an open mix without straining by keeping his throat wide open.

Wow! Really useful thank you Smile what time is the E5 so I can compare?
Just wondering if you can clear up my confusion with my voice too; Basically my chest range ends at A4, and then after that my head voice goes up to C6 on a good day. But I have this part after the A4 that if I push I can hit up to D5... I'm guessing this is what you refer to as the mix? I have very poor control over it and bad tone but decent power, it is almost a yelling high pitch, just wondering how on earth I could cultivate it or if it even is the mix? cheers again!

Loopholeinlimbo

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Danerage on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:18 am

Loopholeinlimbo wrote:Wow! Really useful thank you Smile what time is the E5 so I can compare?
Alien E5

Loopholeinlimbo wrote:Just wondering if you can clear up my confusion with my voice too; Basically my chest range ends at A4, and then after that my head voice goes up to C6 on a good day. But I have this part after the A4 that if I push I can hit up to D5... I'm guessing this is what you refer to as the mix? I have very poor control over it and bad tone but decent power, it is almost a yelling high pitch, just wondering how on earth I could cultivate it or if it even is the mix? cheers again!
Sounds like it might be a form of mix, yes. Learning to sing in mix initially is like a balancing act. The voice tends towards one way or the other, but it just takes practice and some confidence to keep it centered and controlled. Bad tone in mix is typical in the beginning if you're trying to belt/push through it, or if your technique elsewhere is a bit lackluster. A lot of people find more success in developing mix starting with a very soft falsetto; then gradually opening their throat and bringing chest resonance into it. I prefer this method because when you mix you need to entirely let go of the physical sensation that accompanies chest voice. Even power highs like Chris Cornell's are closer to falsetto than to chest voice, in this regard. Hard to give much personalized advice without hearing your voice, though.

Important things are:
- Keeping the throat open (doing all the work from your diaphragm muscles to the point where you feel pretty much nothing going on in your throat)
- Keeping the resonance placed in the head AT ALL TIMES WHILST IN MIX (sing to word 'sung', then hold onto and sustain the NG sound. This should give you an idea of what higher placed resonance should feel like, as well as initiating proper twang)
- Keep it light and don't force (if you feel much neck/jaw tension, play around with the sound until that ceases. Forcing your way higher only contributes to bad muscle memory. Start light.)
avatar
Danerage

Posts : 255
Join date : 2012-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Guest on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:33 am

A very good, detailed post... I'll definitely try to apply these techniques and tips to my highs the next time I play around with my mix. Also, thanks for the telling about 'the bad muscle memory', I've known about it, but have never focused too much on it, which I think might be partly a problem while trying to get my 'problem area' mixed properly, too.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Loopholeinlimbo on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 am

Danerage wrote:Sounds like it might be a form of mix, yes. Learning to sing in mix initially is like a balancing act. The voice tends towards one way or the other, but it just takes practice and some confidence to keep it centered and controlled. Bad tone in mix is typical in the beginning if you're trying to belt/push through it, or if your technique elsewhere is a bit lackluster. A lot of people find more success in developing mix starting with a very soft falsetto; then gradually opening their throat and bringing chest resonance into it. I prefer this method because when you mix you need to entirely let go of the physical sensation that accompanies chest voice. Even power highs like Chris Cornell's are closer to falsetto than to chest voice, in this regard. Hard to give much personalized advice without hearing your voice, though.

Important things are:
- Keeping the throat open (doing all the work from your diaphragm muscles to the point where you feel pretty much nothing going on in your throat)
- Keeping the resonance placed in the head AT ALL TIMES WHILST IN MIX (sing to word 'sung', then hold onto and sustain the NG sound. This should give you an idea of what higher placed resonance should feel like, as well as initiating proper twang)
- Keep it light and don't force (if you feel much neck/jaw tension, play around with the sound until that ceases. Forcing your way higher only contributes to bad muscle memory. Start light.)

Wow! Man that's awesome for you to shine so much light. Thanks.
I've been doing pharyngeal exercises and it seems to be slow work atm! I will record a sample of what it sounds like, and then my chest voice and head voice and put it on here on a soundcloud link, if you could confirm it that would clear so much confusion.
I basically started hitting those notes when I was practising to fair to midland, you can hear it in Darroh's voice the way he kinda yells it/belts it when he goes up to C5+ but obviously his sounds good.
Thanks again, should put it on here tomorrow Very Happy

Loopholeinlimbo

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Loopholeinlimbo on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 am

Voice wasn't the best tonight but I recorded 'em.

Mostly focusing on the 'way' and the 'say' part, all I know is I'm kinda straining to get there.
http://soundcloud.com/arron-carter/vox/s-zTfC7

Did a siren near the end in head voice, but the other part before it I think it slips into head voice.. not sure XD
http://soundcloud.com/arron-carter/vox-2/s-H0s0p

cheers Smile

Loopholeinlimbo

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Danerage on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Loopholeinlimbo wrote:Voice wasn't the best tonight but I recorded 'em.

Mostly focusing on the 'way' and the 'say' part, all I know is I'm kinda straining to get there.
http://soundcloud.com/arron-carter/vox/s-zTfC7

Did a siren near the end in head voice, but the other part before it I think it slips into head voice.. not sure XD
http://soundcloud.com/arron-carter/vox-2/s-H0s0p

cheers Smile
Yeah, those highs are mixed voice. The C6 could be considered head voice or falsetto, depending on your perspective. I would consider it falsetto due to the lack of compression, which is extremely difficult to apply to notes at that pitch.

Pharyngeal exercises are a good thing to be working on. As you develop your twang from them, you'll find it gets easier to sing - period. Twang is very versatile and once developed can be applied and removed as you like in varying amounts. When you work the pharyngeal resonance into your voice, and eventually into your mix, you'll find it much easier to control. More twang always makes it easier to sing any note. Also, vowel placement is super important.

AH (As in 'Saw') = 100% of lower musculature engaged.
A (As in 'Cat') = 75% of lower musculature engaged.
UH (As in 'Huh') = 50% of lower musculature engaged.
EE (As in 'Bee') = 25% of lower musculature engaged.
OO (As in 'You') = 0% of lower musculature engaged.

More 'lower musculature' engaged results in darker undertones being produced. These are the vowels the voice/throat can be most 'open' on. It's usually a good idea to modify vowels based on this to accommodate your voice. I turn a lot of 'I' and 'UH' words into 'AH' because it sounds the same (especially in the high range) and makes it easier to sing with the most resonant tone possible.

Phrasing is particularly important in the high range. Vowels should be shaped mostly by the throat instead of the mouth. Otherwise, it becomes too difficult keep the throat open and phrasing consistent. Pronunciation isn't as important in the high range because all the vowels tend to blend together. Comfort, control, and keeping the throat/tone open are more important factors to building a healthy mixed voice.

Btw I think your voice is really good. The non-high parts sound great.
avatar
Danerage

Posts : 255
Join date : 2012-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Loopholeinlimbo on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:50 am

Awesome! I can usually get it a bit clearer there but I feel it, it's almost like my head has to lift up with the strain XD
I only need a few more things explained then I'll leave you alone! haha.

> Is the head voice considered non modal as a constant on this forum? Is it only mixed notes that are counted as full? Smile
> And is there any way you could tell me what voice type I am?

So that would mean singing on pharyngeals & NG through song's high notes and lows to help me sing 'em easier right? I'm gonna do that all the time aha. It's such a hard process singing, it's taken me about 2 years or so to get to where I am... Thanks man, your compliment means alot, would quite like to hear you sing Smile

Here's a vocal only track I did, probably help you hear my voice better Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWF_LxmBO4

Loopholeinlimbo

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Benzie

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum