View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dave Wanless

Post  Sandblasted on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Voice type: Tenor
Recorded Vocal Range: A2-A5

Significant high notes:
A5 ("Here Today, Gone Tomorrow")
G♯5 ("Sweet Little Gypsy")
F♯5 ("Under the Influence", "Tie Dyed Skies")
E5 ("Under the Influence", "In My Garden", "Freakz", "25 Hours a Day", "Disgusteen", "Truth")
E♭5 ("Sweet Little Gypsy", "Make Me")
D5 ("Tie Dyed Skies", "Freakz", "Stiff Competition", "Real Thing", "Whisper in the Rain", "Tired of Listening", "Shallow", "Rocking Chair")
C♯5 ("Under the Influence", "Freakz", "Keeps Me Down")
C5 ("Sweet Little Gypsy", "Stiff Competition", "Real Thing", "Whisper in the Rain", "What You Give", "Worms", "Truth", "Helen")
B4 ("Tie Dyed Skies", "In My Garden", "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow", "What You Give", "Tired of Listening", "Shallow")
B♭4 ("Keeps Me Down", "Worms", "Rocking Chair")

Significant low notes:

F♯3 ("Under the Influence", "Freakz")
F3 ("Sweet Little Gypsy", "Love Don't Live Here Anymore", "Make Me")
E3 ("Under the Influence", "In My Garden", "Tired of Listening", "Who Said?")
E♭3 ("Sweet Little Gypsy")
D3 ("Real Thing", "Worms", "Rocking Chair")
C♯3 ("Keeps Me Down", "Red Moon")
C3 ("Whisper in the Rain", "Worms", "Helen")
B2 ("In My Garden", "Truth")
A2 ("Rocking Chair")

Singer for obscure Canadian hard rock/hair metal band Sven Gali. Pretty light and effeminate timbre (especially on those sappy ballads) ala Michael Sweet (even looks a bit like him!), altho he's able to grit it up for a more Sebastian Bach sort of sound (just compare his performance on "In My Garden" to any Skid Row ballad), naturally, he has his pretty effortless highs and some strong lows in at least the lower third octave. They pulled a 180 with their second and ultimately last album "Inwire", bandwagoning onto the whole "alternative" thing (even their bassist admitted they "sold out") with mediocre results, unfortunately leaving them w/o much of an identity as the years go by.
Examples of singing:

The premier Sven Gali song, showing off his effortless highs (w/ a sustained C♯5 going up to a sustained F♯5 @ 2:42!  Shocked ) and grittier sound.

Another one with a similar approach, B4s throughout and some notes even higher later on (altho his choice of wardrobe is questionable).

An example of Sven Gali's "alternative" sound (and one of the few good songs off that album), featuring some strong lows and more effortless highs.

P.S. Sorry about the odd pic but it's the best one I could find from back in "the day" that I didn't have to crop out of a whole band pic
-------------------------------------------
Grey marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise muffled obscured in the mix.
Italics mark non-sung notes.

Last edited by Sandblasted on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 pm; edited 11 times in total
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Re: Dave Wanless

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Interesting thread. I have to say I don't remember hearing them. I can see some of the Bach comparison with his grittier singing. I definitely think he sounds better than Vince Neil, though. From these clips they don't sound completely like glam-metal, although some elements of that in their sound. I guess sort of like the other more obscure bands to get grouped in with that scene.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:03 pm

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:Interesting thread. I have to say I don't remember hearing them.
I wouldn't expect anybody that's not Canadian to do so.  Laughing Another Canadian band from that time to check out is Slik Toxik, their singer Nick Walsh's highs are even MORE insane (I just have to find some lows! Banghead ). They even did the whole "grunge" thing on their second album as well but they did it much better IMO. Personally, I think Kelly Gray is partially responsible for the failure of "Inwire", as he it produced and all, he didn't seem to give Sven Gali much of a direction.

From these clips they don't sound completely like glam-metal, although some elements of that in their sound. I guess sort of like the other more obscure bands to get grouped in with that scene.

Yeah, surprisingly, they're in the Metal-Archives. Laughing I s'pose their logic is "if Skid Row is in there, why not them?" altho TBH I don't think they're that metallic, if anything their heavier stuff more comes from punk, their first album even ends w/ a cover of a Teenage Head (Canadian punk band) song.
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Yeah, I can hear a bit of the punk sound you're talking about. In fact, the obscure glam bands I was thinking of, all had a sort of glam-punk sound.

Funny Kelly Gray produced the grunge album, because he also produced an album for Dokken where they went to a grunge type sound in 1997 called Shadowlife.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top