Steve Grimmett

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Steve Grimmett

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:42 am

Voice type: Tenor
Vocal range: F♯2-B♭5

Significant high notes:

• B♭5 ("Chained and Desperate")
  • G♯5 ("Buried Alive", "Good Enough", "See You in Hell", "Ready or Not", "Shellshock")
  • G5 ("Chained and Desperate", "Dead on Arrival", "Final Screams", "Lady Killer", "Lord of Darkness (Your Living Hell)", "Never Coming Back", "Night of the Vampire", "Now or Never", "Rock Me 'till I Die", "Run for Your Life", "See You in Hell", "Shellshock", "The Number of the Beast", "When Heaven Comes Down")
  • F♯5 ("Can't Believe", "Never Coming Back", "Stronger Than Steel", "Too Far Too Soon", "Turn to Stone")
  • F5 ("All I Need", "Buried Alive", "Dead on Arrival", "Had Enough", "How Can I Tell You", "Lady Killer", "Lord of Darkness (Your Living Hell)", "Midnight Stranger", "Relentless". "Rock and Roll Tonight", "Welcome to Dying", "When Heaven Comes Down")
  • E5 ("All Hell Let Loose", "Confused", "Conquest of the Skies", "Deja Vu", "Fear No Evil", "Fight for the Last", "Going Down", "Had Enough", "I'll Stand Up", "I Want More", "Lady Killer", "Let the Thunder Roar", "Liar", "Lord of Darkness (Your Living Hell)", "Matter of Time", "Never Coming Back", "Night of the Vampire", "Relentless" "Rock and Roll Tonight", "Rock Me 'till I Die", "Rock You to Hell", "Run for Your Life", "Shellshock", "So Cold", "Spirit of the Chateaux", "Still of the Night", "Suck It and See", "The Show Must Go On", "Turn to Stone", "When Heaven Comes Down", "You'll Wish That You Were Never Born")
  • E♭5 ("Abyss", "Afterglow", "All Hell Let Loose", "All I Need", "Can't Believe", "Devil's Train", "Fear No Evil", "Getting Faster", "Gods of War", "Going Down", "Good Enough", "Have Mercy", "I'll Stand Up", "I'm Back", "In Search of Sanity", "Karma", "Lay It on the Line", "Let the Children Play", "Let There Be Rock", "Lightning War", "Living In a Fantasy", "Midnight Stranger", "Now or Never", "Portrait", "Ready or Not", "So Cold", "Something for Nothing", "Spirit of the Chateaux", "Stealer", "Stronger Than Steel", "The Show Must Go On", "World of Pain")
  • D5 ("911", "Abyss", "Aces High", "Breathe on Me", "Dark of the Night", "Dead on Arrival", "Fight for the Last", "Flight of Angels", "Getting Faster", "How Can I Tell You", "If You Cut Me", "Landslide", "Lay It on the Line", "Let the Thunder Roar", "Lonely Tonight", "Love Remains", "Matter of Time", "Relentless", "Rock and Roll Tonight", "Rock Me 'till I Die", "Rock You to Hell", "Run for Your Life", "Screaming", "So Cold" "Still of the Night", "Stronger Than Steel", "Suck It and See", "Supernatural", "The Number of the Beast", "Too Far Too Soon", "Waysted Love", "You'll Wish That You Were Never Born")
  • C♯5 ("Afterglow", "All I Need", "Can't Believe", "Deja Vu", "Fear No Evil", "Go Down", "Gods of War", "In Search of Sanity", "Lay It on the Line", "Let the Children Play", "Let There Be Rock", "Lonely Tonight", "Love Remains", "Pain in My Heart", "Relentless", "Something for Nothing", "Stealer", "Strength", "The Show Must Go On", "Turn to Stone", "World of Pain")
  • C5 ("Abyss", "Aces High", "Buried Alive" "Flight of Angels", "How Can I Tell You", "I'm Alive", "I'm Back", "If You Cut Me", "Let the Children Play", "Let There Be Rock", "Let the Thunder Roar", "Lust for Freedom", "Matter of Time", "Night of the Vampire", "Now or Never", "Powerslave", "Rock You to Hell", "Screaming", "Spirit of the Chateaux", "Stealer", "Still of the Night", "Suck It and See", "Too Far Too Soon", "You'll Never Know")
  • B4 ("911", "Conquest of the Skies", "Landslide", "Supernatural", "You'll Never Know")

Significant low notes:

• F♯2 ("Breathe on Me")
  • B♭2 ("Portrait")
  • B2 ("The Show Must Go On")
  • C3 ("Blue Collar Fever", "The Number of the Beast")
  • C♯3 ("Portrait", "World of Pain")
  • D3 ("Blue Collar Fever", "Love Remains", "The Show Must Go On")
  • E♭3 ("Can't Believe", "Let the Children Play", "World of Pain")
  • E3 ("Still of the Night", "Tomorrow's Another Day")
  • F3 ("Deja Vu", "Let the Children Play")

*Blue marks soft or disconnected falsetto notes
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
*Purple marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise muffled/obscured in the song mix.

Best known for his work with NWOBHM band Grim Reaper, made more famous by the fun Beavis and Butthead had at their expense. Grimmett's voice is light, on the higher end of the spectrum for metal singers, but he had great technique for his upper register with the ability to consistently hit mid to upper 5th octave notes and sustain them forever as demonstrated with the famous final scream in their most well-known song "See You In Hell" as you can see in this performance.

His singing also improved noticeably after Grim Reaper's first album, with his vocals on this version from the tour for their 3rd and final album sounding superior to the studio version from their first album. His mid-range could be a bit lacking at times due to his voice being higher than his contemporaries, but that also improved, and he started showing a solid low to mid 3rd octave in Lionsheart.

Last edited by OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:06 am; edited 17 times in total

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Steve Grimmett

Post  Buh-Red on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:24 am

is this the dude with the (live) ~32 second G5?

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:38 am

Yup. Fucking crazy.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:40 am

just another reason to want to have a beer belly

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:56 am

Yeah, he really had crazy highs. This is far from his craziest example of highs, but you can hear how effortless and strong he sounds from the upper 4th/lower 5th octave to his E5s, though of course, he regularly went higher with strength as you know from the G5. But a nice cheesy 80's metal video to enjoy too.  Very Happy 

Ridiculous singing in this one. Incredibly cheesy song of course, but ridiculous highs nonetheless.especially at around 2:15 topping out at G5.

This is a pretty regular example of his off the wall highs.

High melodies throughout, but especially at around 2:55 when he goes up to a fairly easy-sounding, but strong G5 in the melody.

He was more restrained on the Onslaught album. Not that there was a shortage of highs, but some songs didn't really have any by his standards. Not that I find the highs out of place with Grim Reaper. Quite the contrary.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Beware of the size tags mysteriously disappearing every time you go back and edit a thread.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:00 pm

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:Yeah, he really had crazy highs. This is far from his craziest example of highs, but you can hear how effortless and strong he sounds from the upper 4th/lower 5th octave to his E5s, though of course, he regularly went higher with strength as you know from the G5. But a nice cheesy 80's metal video to enjoy too.  Very Happy 

Ridiculous singing in this one. Incredibly cheesy song of course, but ridiculous highs nonetheless.especially at around 2:15 topping out at G5.

This is a pretty regular example of his off the wall highs.

High melodies throughout, but especially at around 2:55 when he goes up to a fairly easy-sounding, but strong G5 in the melody.

He was more restrained on the Onslaught album. Not that there was a shortage of highs, but some songs didn't really have any by his standards. Not that I find the highs out of place with Grim Reaper. Quite the contrary.

dat technique yo

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:25 pm

The Great Heroins wrote:just another reason to want to have a beer belly

Tell that to Rance Allen.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:53 pm

The search for lows continues for this guy, I mean there are lows at the beginning of this song, but they don't really sound like Steve to me. Unfortunately, I can't find the credits for who sang the other vocals(if Steve didn't sing the lower parts) Unfortunately, there's little of his lower-mid range to compare these to. Any other opinions on how much the lows in the intro sound like Steve?

By the way, the highs certainly continued with Lionsheart as shown by this next song.

Glissando to a strong, sustained G♯5 at 2:47 and another one at up to about G5 at 3:16.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Singers like Grimmett continue to surprise me: why don't they want to explore other regions of their voice as well? I understand the love for wailing up there, especially with such music backing your vocal, but it's kind of weird to see some singers almost never taking a step out of their highest region.

PS: insane highs! Man, this dude was a beast back in his prime.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Yeah, I hear ya on that. In fairness, Grimmett has shown singing through the 4th octave from what I've so far, though the Grim Reaper stuff, and first Lionsheart album has pretty much been from the upper 4th octave up, but the Onslaught album featured some singing a bit lower than that. This is a very long song, but you can hear some of him singing below that here.

Though there's obviously been a real lack of true lows with those from "The Show Must Go" being pretty weak, but I'd think he could offer some better notes down there later since he was clearly an improved singer after the first Grim Reaper album. Hopefully, I'll find more low singing as I go deeper into his 90's output, and whatever he's done in the last decade.

And yeah, his high range seems endless so far. Despite the extreme notes, I've yet to hear him sound like he's really struggling or at his limit.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:48 pm

Meager Smotherer wrote:
The Great Heroins wrote:just another reason to want to have a beer belly

Tell that to Rance Allen.

i think Rance swallowed Steve Grimmett

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:15 am

I'll never get over how goddamn ridiculous this guy's G5 is.

This thread is laggy as all hell btw
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Finished the first Lionsheart album, and another strong G♯5 With how strong he is through his entire high range so far, I'm surprised I haven't found an A5 yet. I'm kind of curious where the top of his range is. At least I've found some lows as well. Can't say I was expecting he'd have many, but the 3rd octave stuff so far isn't band.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:00 pm

Haven't heard anything post-'07 by him yet, but by that point, his voice really hadn't changed much at all after coming into his own on the second Grim Reaper album. Not a bad song either.

Did some interesting covers on tribute albums in the early 00s such as "Still of the Night" as well as "Number of the Beast" and "Aces High" though I was always disappointed he didn't go for the high at the end of that one considering how good his G5s were. Speaking of which, going back to his pre-Grim Reaper stuff, I think I just found a new highest note for him.

What he's take that G♯5 up to at 0:41? C6?  Shocked 

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  axisundone on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:29 am

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:

What he's take that G♯5 up to at 0:41? C6?  Shocked 

He takes that G5 up to Bb5 Smile
axisundone

View user profile http://www.habuband.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blazejecar on Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:22 am

Super Bread wrote:is this the dude with the (live) ~32 second G5?

wtf o.0 got a link to that? I'd love to hear... I thought his longest was the 19-second one in "see you in hell"
blazejecar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  axisundone on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:31 am

Latest studio performance - still an excellent voice in 2016! Not as powerful as his younger days but great tone, and lots of E5s.
axisundone

View user profile http://www.habuband.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top