Jan Smit (Dutch Singer)

Post  bradphone on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 am

Jan Smit.

Voice Type: Tenor.
Vocal Range: A2-E5

Significant High Notes:
E5("Calypso")
G#4("Echte Vrienden")
F#4("Als de nacht verdwijnt", "Laura", "Tuintje In M`n Hart Live". "Everything I Do live". "Zij Gelooft In Mij")

Significant Low Notes:
C#3("Als De Nacht Verdwijnt", "Dan Volg Je Haar Benen", "Tuintje In M`n Hart Live")
C3("Laura", "Als De morgen is gekomen", "Leaving On A Jetplane")
B2("Cupido")
A2("Zij Gelooft In Mij Live")

Dutch singer with a very rich timbre, very stable and good voice. However his tessitura seems to be low, starting to strain on notes above E4 and he stays away from the upper 2nd octave for most of the time.. And its sad that his voice seems to have a 10 note comfort zone, and its not very versatile unfortunatly.

Tuintje in m`n hart live:
(The other singer sings very clean G#4s)

Everything I Do Live:

Summer of 69 live:

(Too bad they dropped the key from D to A!!!(5 semitones...) for him.

Zij gelooft in mij Live:

(His A2s sound very airy and almost fry...)

Leaving On A Jetplane.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jan Smit (Dutch Singer)

Post  Timqwe on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:17 pm

no no no no no, anyone but Jan fucking Smit
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Timqwe wrote:no no no no no, anyone but Jan fucking Smit
Haha, he's definitely the worst singer from the Volendam-group.
I would love to see a thread for Jan Dulles from the 3J's though. I'm not familiar with his work, but have already heard a range from G2 to D5 by him.
I remember an episode of De Wereld Draait Door, where all the "Votown Allstars" were invited and they started to jam before they aired.
That's where you could really hear that Jan Smit is by far the weakest singer.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timqwe on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Roehoer wrote:
I would love to see a thread for Jan Dulles from the 3J's though. I'm not familiar with his work, but have already heard a range from G2 to D5 by him.
I remember an episode of De Wereld Draait Door, where all the "Votown Allstars" were invited and they started to jam before they aired.
Dulles is definatly the best singer, i'd rank him above Nick & Simon. I always feel that "de 3J's" are trying way to hard to reproduce the "Volendam Sound" though, while they would be way better of in their original style, rock.
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Timqwe wrote:
Roehoer wrote:
Dulles is definatly the best singer, i'd rank him above Nick & Simon. I always feel that "de 3J's" are trying way to hard to reproduce the "Volendam Sound" though, while they would be way better of in their original style, rock.
Yeah me too. Although Dulles, Nick and Simon, all three, are still pretty underrated singers. You can't prevent being laughed at when you talk to musicians about them being talented.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timqwe on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Roehoer wrote:
Timqwe wrote:
Roehoer wrote:
Yeah me too. Although Dulles, Nick and Simon, all three, are still pretty underrated singers. You can't prevent being laughed at when you talk to musicians about them being talented.
Nah, it's not as bad since "De beste zangers van Nederland" where they were singing different styles
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:06 am

Roehoer wrote:
I agree, Jan is the worst singer in terms of technique (he had to relearn how to sing because of a vocal nodule in ... 2008 i believe)
But his range is very short, and his tessitura is very low, and his comfortzone is very low, he does have a very rich timbre but thats about it, i like some of the songs though.

Jan Dulles is by far the best singer from Volendam indeed, his cover of I Feel Good on "Beste Zangers Van Nederland" was insane, very powerfull vocals from him!

Another good vocalist is the golden oldie "Jan Keizer" from the group BZN, he seems to have his voice intact nowadays, and he turns 64 this year.

bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:14 am

Just listened to the "Zij gelooft in mij" cover. His first A2 is very weak, but some of the other ones were at least decent enough to not be red, right?
He also hits a lot of B2's.
I really disliked him skipping the first F#4 with that lower harmony though Puking 
Seriously, if it's too high, just dont try to sing it. Especially when it's such an iconic high note.

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Roehoer wrote:Just listened to the "Zij gelooft in mij" cover. His first A2 is very weak, but some of the other ones were at least decent enough to not be red, right?
He also hits a lot of B2's.
I really disliked him skipping the first F#4 with that lower harmony though Puking 
Seriously, if it's too high, just dont try to sing it. Especially when it's such an iconic high note.
Indeed, that F#4 is an iconic note, he failed..
I`m listening to "Echte Vrienden" Again, and i`m starting to hear a switch on that G#4...
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:27 am

A2's and E4 in Geef mij je angst at Vrienden van Amstel live

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AcapellaBass on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:45 am

Not a big fan, but his cover of Stay With Me, which was turned into Blijf Bij Mij has a nice G4 in it. It's better to ignore the rapper, don't like him at all.

I believe it's somewhere in between 2:30 and 3:30.

AcapellaBass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top