Jack Johnson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jack Johnson

Post  RoryRoarington on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson is a guitarist and vocalist born in Oahu, Hawaii.

Voice Type: Baritone
Sung Range: E♭2 - A♭4
Total Range: D2 - D5

Significant High Notes:

D5 ('Losing Keys'
C5 ('Losing Hope')
B4 ('Talk Of The Town')
A♭4 ('Flake', 'At Or With Me', 'Drink The Water')
F♯4 ('Good People', 'F-Stop Blues')
F4 ('Bubble Toes', 'They Do, They Don't', 'Only The Ocean')
E4 ('Banana Pancakes', 'Flake', 'You And Your Heart', 'Crying Shame', 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing', 'From The Clouds', What You Thought You Need, 'Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer', 'Girl I Wanna Lay You Down', 'Same Girl', 'Monsoon', 'The Upsetter', 'Red Wine, Mistakes, Mythology', 'Pictures Of People Taking Pictures', 'Middle Man', 'Sexy Plexi')
E♭4 ('Angel', 'I Got You', 'Inaudible Melodies')
D4 ('Hope', 'If I Had Eyes', 'Breakdown', 'Wasting Time', 'Do You Remember', 'While We Wait', 'No Good With Faces')
C♯4 ('Imagine' - cover, 'Upside Down', 'In The Morning', 'Anything But The Truth', 'Fortunate Fool')
C4 ('Better Together', 'Sleep Through The Static' - studio version, 'No Other Way', 'To The Sea', 'Sleep Through The Static', 'Staple It Together', 'Taylor', 'Adrift')

Significant Low Notes:

B2 ('Banana Pancakes', 'Good People', 'Sleep Through The Static', 'Upside Down', 'Let It Be Sung', 'Taylor', 'My Little Girl', 'Red Wine, Mistakes, Mythology', The Three R's')
B♭2 ('Flake', 'Inaudible Melodies')
A2 ('Bubble Toes', 'Imagine' - cover), 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing', 'Staple It Together', 'Do You Remember', 'Mudfootball' - live, 'If I Had Eyes', 'Adrift', 'Posters', 'Sexy Plexi')
G♯2('Crying Shame', 'Never Know', 'Situations', 'Home' - acoustic, 'No Good With Faces')
G2 ('Breakdown', 'Sleep Through The Static' - studio version, 'Turn Your Love', 'Belle', 'All At Once', 'Enemy', 'Only The Ocean', 'Fortunate Fool', 'F-Stop Blues'
F♯2 ('Good People', 'If I Could', 'Same Girl', 'Anything But The Truth', 'The News')
E♭2 ('Fortunate Fool')
D2 ('It's All Understood')

Last edited by RoryRoarington on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:07 am; edited 25 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating and reviewing)

RoryRoarington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Johnson

Post  RoryRoarington on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:19 am

[quote="RoryRoarington"]Jack Johnson

Sung Range: F#2 - F#4
Total Range: F#2 - G#4

Significant High Notes:

G#4 - ('Flake')
F#4 - ('Good People')
F4 - ('Bubble Toes')
E4 - ('Banana Pancakes', 'Flake', 'You And Your Heart', 'Crying Shame', 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing')
Eb4 - ('Angel')
D4 - ('Hope', 'If I Had Eyes', 'Breakdown', 'Wasting Time')
C#4 - ('Imagine - cover', 'Upside Down' - from Curious George)
C4 - ('Better Together', 'Buddha', 'No Other Way', 'To The Sea', 'Sleep Through The Static', 'Staple It Together')

Significant Low Notes:

C3 - ('No Other Way')
B2 - ('Banana Pancakes', 'Good People', 'Sleep Through The Static', 'Upside Down' - from Curious George)
A#2 - ('Flake')
A2 - ('Bubble Toes', 'Imagine - cover', 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing', 'Staple It Together')
G#2 - ('Crying Shame', 'Never Know', 'Situations')
G2 - ('Breakdown', 'Buddha', 'Turn Your Love')
F#2 - ('Good People')

RoryRoarington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:35 am

Jack Johnson

Total Range: F♯2-G♯4

Significant High Notes:

• G♯4 (''Flake'')
  • F♯4 (''Good People'')
  • F4 (''Bubble Toes'')
  • E4 (''Banana Pancakes'', ''Flake'', ''You And Your Heart'', ''Crying Shame'', ''Sitting, Waiting, Wishing'')
  • E♭4 (''Angel'')
  • D4 (''Hope'', ''If I Had Eyes'', ''Breakdown'', ''Wasting Time'')
  • C♯4 (''Imagine - cover'', ''Upside Down'')
  • C4 (''Better Together'', ''Buddha'', ''No Other Way'', ''To The Sea'', ''Sleep Through The Static'', ''Staple It Together'')

Significant Low Notes:

• C3 (''No Other Way'')
  • B2 (''Banana Pancakes'', ''Good People'', ''Sleep Through The Static'', ''Upside Down'')
  • B♭2 (''Flake'')
  • A2 (''Bubble Toes'', ''Imagine (live)'', ''Sitting, Waiting, Wishing'', ''Staple It Together'')
  • G♯2(''Crying Shame'', ''Never Know'', ''Situations'')
  • G2 (''Breakdown'', ''Buddha'', ''Turn Your Love'')
  • F♯2 (''Good People'')

There you go.

Some tips:
- Use these:♭ and ♯ (not b and #)
-It's not necessary, but I find a nice pic of the singer brightens up the OP Smile
That's about it really, good job considering it's your first thread. (You might consider starting his SHN at D4/E♭4? even for Jack it doesn't seem necessary to start them that low.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoryRoarington on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks for the help ICUP :-P that looks a lot better. I did try uploading a picture but it wasn't letting me, maybe because I'm on a mobile and not a computer? But thank you for the tips :-) much appreciated.

On a side note: if anyone wants to help contribute to this page you're welcome to do so. :-)

RoryRoarington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What type of Baritone?

Post  RoryRoarington on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Would anyone consider Jack a high baritone or would you say he is a more basic baritone? I know his range 'from what I've heard so far' is a more prime example of a baritone but then his voice sounds quite fruity at times too?

RoryRoarington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:23 pm

RoryRoarington wrote:Would anyone consider Jack a high baritone or would you say he is a more basic baritone? I know his range 'from what I've heard so far' is a more prime example of a baritone but then his voice sounds quite fruity at times too?

without getting into a voice type debate, he does sound like more of a High Baritone to me (he gets a sort of tenor brightness to his voice at times too)
Range doesn't indicate much in the way of VT.
Keep his voice type as Baritone though, we don't use subcategories on the forum.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel-22 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm

I'd say he's a standard baritone, to my ear at least, and I suppose he has a light timbre but yeah not a tenor IMO

Gabriel-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:45 am

Gabriel-22 wrote:I'd say he's a standard baritone, to my ear at least, and I suppose he has a light timbre but yeah not a tenor IMO

I mean to, at times his voice can have a tenorish twang to it (like most baritones)
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel-22 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:02 pm

I agree his voice can sound fairly light and twangy sometimes, personally I've never heard him sing beyond D4 but I'm not too familiar with his work ahaha nice thread!

Gabriel-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoryRoarington on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks Starman, it's just I've seen many other threads where people have used terms like: baritenor, bass-baritone, high tenor etc. so I thought I would need to be really specific on voice type. By the way would you count sung notes that would, for example, I sing a c4 but I hit a really brief c2 before that note, would that still count as a note, or does it have to be noticeable and audible?

Oh thanks Gabriel :-)

RoryRoarington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel-22 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 pm

No problem mate Smile I think people call him a "bass baritone" or whatever simply because his range is somewhat limited, light baritone who sings within the A2 - C4 area often , I've never heard him sing particularly high

Gabriel-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoryRoarington on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:48 am

Gabriel-22 wrote:No problem mate :)I think people call him a "bass baritone" or whatever simply because his range is somewhat limited, light baritone who sings within the A2 - C4 area often , I've never heard him sing particularly high

I personally think Jack has a lot of potential, his highest chest note I've heard so far is an A♭4 (not a long note and sounds fairly controlled) but it's only a semitone away from an A4. I'm unsure with his lows, but I've heard very brief C2s from Jack in 'Better Together', so that is pretty impressive, but it's hard to tell with some of the notes sung as they are so brief and I can't work out the register used: vocal fry, chest etc.

But I do agree with you about Jack being categorised as a light baritone.

RoryRoarington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:51 am

Semi-tones are a huge step at the highest region of you range. Especially like a B4 compared to a C5.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel-22 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:16 am

Oh I agree he's got potential, he just reminds me of one of those guys who don't really "show off" their voices, in other words its more about his guitar playing, and semitones are pretty huge like ryugen said ^

Gabriel-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoryRoarington on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 am

All hail the almighty semitone!

RoryRoarington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content