Voice type: Bass
Vocal range: E1-E♭4
Sung range: F2-E♭4

Significant high notes:

• E♭4 ("Hellfire")
  • C♯4 ("Hellfire")

Significant low notes:

• F2 ("Hellfire")
  • B♭1 ("September Song", "Dancing in the Dark")
  • A1 ("Legacy of Kain: Defiance" Scene)
  • G♯1 ("Reboot" Scene)
  • G1 ("Dancing in the Dark", Soul Reaver 2 Voice Sessions, Raziel in the Underworld)
  • F♯1 (Raziel in the Underworld)
  • E1 ("Gargoyles" Scene)

Prominent voice actor for various TV shows, animated movies, and video games. Tony Jay had a deep, resonant voice that led to him having considerable success in his field. He is most known for having played Judge Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame where he sings this song:

A very cool voice indeed. As a side note his E1 is one of the best sounding notes in that area imo.
*Italics mark non sung notes.

Last edited by Whackooyzero on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tony Jay

Post  Michael Bolton on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Whackooyzero wrote:Voice type: Low Voiced Non Singer
Michael Bolton

View user profile http://www.michaelbolton.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Voice Type: Basso (Profundo) suits Him pretty well... Or Simply Bass!
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Arcaedion wrote:Voice Type: Basso (Profundo) suits Him pretty well... Or Simply Bass!
Why attach such terms to a person who focused on voice acting as opposed to singing, though?
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:37 pm

This is not how Voice Type's Categorizations work, It's all a fact of Speaking Voice/Timbre/Color, besides the fact that He's speaking/voice acting or Singing, also don't forget that speaking voice lies inside the "Chest Register", and speaking voice is heavily influenced by anatomical facts like Length of Vocal Folds and by the Voice Type... Dark Tone/Timbre/Color, practically similar to that of Ivan Rebroff... But I Said: Bass is Okay, If You Don't want to put him as Basso Profundo!
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Arcaedion wrote:This is not how Voice Type's Categorizations work, It's all a fact of Speaking Voice/Timbre/Color, besides the fact that He's speaking/voice acting or Singing, also don't forget that speaking voice lies inside the "Chest Register", and speaking voice is heavily influenced by anatomical facts like Length of Vocal Folds and by the Voice Type... Dark Tone/Timbre/Color, practically similar to that of Ivan Rebroff... But I Said: Bass is Okay, If You Don't want to put him as Basso Profundo!
You've made your own definition of TRP voice types there... Which is another reason why we don't really use them so much - there's no concrete definition; everyone kinda just goes by whatever.

Anyway, the thing is, people can adjust their tone and timbre of their voice, making it hard to classify what is "natural". And we don't exactly have information regarding the length of his vocal folds, so we can't use that information.
With these in mind, is objective classification even possible?
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Bolton on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:54 pm

MrToddington wrote:Anyway, the thing is, people can adjust their tone and timbre of their voice, making it hard to classify what is "natural". And we don't exactly have information regarding the length of his vocal folds, so we can't use that information.
With these in mind, is objective classification even possible?
This can only be done to an extent, though, you are overabusing the ability to 'adjust tone and timbre'. It's true that baritones, hell, even basses, can achieve a very feathery, quasi-tenor sound but you can still very often tell apart who the REAL tenor is.

With that said, let's discuss something else. The earlier discussion is once again reaching cancerous limits, thanks to IDK.
Michael Bolton

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:03 am

Michael Bolton wrote:This can only be done to an extent, though, you are overabusing the ability to 'adjust tone and timbre'. It's true that baritones, hell, even basses, can achieve a very feathery, quasi-tenor sound but you can still very often tell apart who the REAL tenor is.

With that said, let's discuss something else. The earlier discussion is once again reaching cancerous limits, thanks to IDK.
Once again, though, I don't think it's reasonable to consider one "real" and one "fake". For instance, are Patton's highs in "Il Cupo Dolore" any less legitimate than say... Devin Townsend's clean highs in "Kingdom"? Still, it isn't classical music, so I think we're just drawing too much from it and putting it into our own terms.
I acknowledge that a "tenor sound" exists, but I don't think it's an exact science or anything, but rather something that's agreed as what a "tenor" should sound like.

As much as I hate to derail Whackooyzero's thread, I feel like this needs to be sorted out, or it's just going to keep appearing over and over.
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07 am

The Taboo of Range Stuff:
Voice Types
The Reaction of a Range Stuff User to Voice Types

True, Let's stop this debate!
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timqwe on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11 am

The debate will be stopped once you agree to shut the fuck up. Your way of classifying voice type is different than everyone else's on this forom, so by way of democracy it shouldn't be used.
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:16 am

My categorization is different from the one used by Range Stuff Users because... Wait, But The Range Place does not use Voice Types, and when Someone spells the word "Voice Type", All The Forum launches battle cries and avoid to put Voice Type to a Singer... While Users on Youtube, expert on voice types and all that scientific/anatomical facts, are fixing correct Voice Types to their vocal range videos!
Also, I'm going to keep correct Voice Types on my Threads!
What's the fear of Voice Types? They are scientific things and They are rather easy to put...
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22 am

Arcaedion wrote:While Users on Youtube, expert on voice types and all that scientific/anatomical facts, are fixing correct Voice Types to their vocal range videos!

Also, I'm going to keep correct Voice Types on my Threads!
What's the fear of Voice Types? They are scientific things and They are rather easy to put...
1) Can you please post some examples of these?

2) Voice types are subjective, not accurately assigned and ultimately different from person to person.
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timqwe on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 am

I don't mind voice types, but why going against the way of classifying of the forum when either way will suffice.
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:29 am

Timqwe wrote:I don't mind voice types, but why going against the way of classifying of the forum when either way will suffice.
The thing is, there's no exact way of working them out, so it's only natural that people are going to have different systems. I'm mostly okay with people using whatever they wish, but I wish people wouldn't take them as something scientific.
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timqwe on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:35 am

yes, of course there's no exact way, but atleast we had the for the forum (kinda) universal Low, High and Middle, and that way we could decide what it most likely was, if neccisary through debate (i never hated voice type debates as much as other users, i find the significant too). No reason to suddenly start adding lyric, spinto etc.
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:36 am

This is a Perfect Video! She's a Lyric-Spinto Soprano, no more debates to be added!
Deniece Williams is a Coloratura Soprano, like Kate Bush, agile/very Youthful/Child-Like voice!
Christina Aguilera is a Lyric Mezzo Soprano
And so on and so forth!
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:12 am

Stop.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 am

Time to get back on topic guys. Good ol' tony deservers it:

Damn low speaking here!

1:25 F♯1/F1 on "Raziel"?

Shitload of strong G1s from 1:55 and on

And I'm not counting all the A1s and G♯1s

Last edited by Pepe Forever on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 am

This Guy's voice keeps to give me chills! Tremendous Low Notes Down There!
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Bolton on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:55 pm

MrToddington wrote:
Michael Bolton wrote:This can only be done to an extent, though, you are overabusing the ability to 'adjust tone and timbre'. It's true that baritones, hell, even basses, can achieve a very feathery, quasi-tenor sound but you can still very often tell apart who the REAL tenor is.

Once again, though, I don't think it's reasonable to consider one "real" and one "fake". For instance, are Patton's highs in "Il Cupo Dolore" any less legitimate than say... Devin Townsend's clean highs in "Kingdom"? Still, it isn't classical music, so I think we're just drawing too much from it and putting it into our own terms.
I acknowledge that a "tenor sound" exists, but I don't think it's an exact science or anything, but rather something that's agreed as what a "tenor" should sound like.

As much as I hate to derail Whackooyzero's thread, I feel like this needs to be sorted out, or it's just going to keep appearing over and over.
I'm simply responding to a partially fallacious statement. The tenor's natural upper range sound is more dexterous and has a clear 'ring' to it. This is also universally agreed upon.
Michael Bolton

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Then, can one have the highs of a tenor AND the lows of a baritone?
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Bolton on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Not really. One can reach a very tenor-like approach to higher singing with tons of range, power and ease shown. With that said, a natural tenor is simply going to be able to achieve more clarity and ease after certain point. This becomes more apparent when there's no amplification being used: a technically adept baritone CAN bring up his voice high with a low volume and good mix, but the clarity of a tenor is a totally different matter.

There's a difference between the higher singing of baritones like Ken Tamplin and Jeff Scott Soto as opposed to Bruno Mars and Paul McCartney. Both can achieve similar amounts of power and range, but the latter names do have a more natural access up there, as for all the technically skilled tenors. In classical world, a good comparison could be made between a verdi baritone like Joseph Shore and a tenor like Pavarotti: although Shore has the amazing range and control up there, his voice is less 'agile' than Pavarotti's naturally graceful and easy tenor when it reaches a certain level in chestier approach.

Also, vice versa @ lower singing. There are certain tenors capable of amazing lower vocalization, but amplification helps a great deal. Even then, it's rather impressive, but not easily applied without a mic. Lower tenor voices still possess more 'oomph' than their lighter, more boyish counterparts, which is a very cool thing to have in popular music world.
Michael Bolton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top