Jack Bruce

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jack Bruce

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:32 pm


Singer for Cream
Voice Type: Tenor
Melodic Range: G♯2-C5

Significant High Notes:
C5 - "Sunshine of Your Love" live 1968, "To Isengard", "White Room" live 1997, "Politician" live 1968 Royal Albert Hall
B4 - "Deserted Cities of The Mind" live at Winterland '68, "Sitting On Top Of The World", "Spoonful" live at Winterland '68, "Victoria Sage"
B♭4 - "Spoonful", "Sunshine Of Your Love" live at Winterland '68
A4 - "As You Said", "I Feel Free", "NSU", "Spoonful", "Sunshine Of Your Love", "SWLABR", "Tales Of Brave Ulysses", "Those We The Days", "We're Going Wrong"
G♯4 - "I'm So Glad", "Politician", "Spoonful" live at Winterland '68
G4 - "Deserted Cities of The Heart", "I Feel Free", "Politician", "Rollin' and Tumblin'", "Spoonful", "SWLABR", "Take It Back", "Tales Of Brave Ulysses", "Traintime" live at Winterland '68, "We're Going Wrong", "White Room", "World Of Pain"
F♯4 - "I'm So Glad", "Tales Of Brave Ulysses"
F4 - "We're Going Wrong", "White Room"

Significant Lows Notes:
C3 - "Born Under a Bad Sign", "Dreaming," "Sleepy Time Time", "Tales Of Brave Ulysses", "Wrapping Paper"
B2 - "Born Under a Bad Sign", "Spoonful", "Tales Of Brave Ulysses", "White Room"
B♭2 - "Born Under a Bad Sign"
A2 - "As You Said", "Spoonful"
G♯2 - "Victoria Sage"

.......................................................
*Purple marks notes in backing vocals.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.


Last edited by KeithMoonIsGod on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:06 am; edited 5 times in total
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Young Heroins on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:27 pm

I really love Jack Bruce's voice.  Cream is one of the first psychedelic bands I started listening to and looking back I actually realize that Jack is a pretty damn good singer. Those signature shouts he does around A4 (like on Sunshine of Your Love and Tales of Brave Ulysses) are so damn good. Compared to Clapton's voice Jack's is raw as hell and much more powerful, not to put Clatpon down. Laughing 


Highs

B4 ("Sitting On Top Of The World")
B♭4 ("Sunshine of Your Love" Live at Winterland)
A4 ("World Of Pain", "Take it Back")


Lows

C3 ("Wrapping Paper")
A2 ("World of Pain")


Last edited by The Great Heroins on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong wording)
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Young Heroins on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Looking back on my world of pain a4 I am noticing it seems to be a colour other than a shade of blue.  I seriously am colour blind and blue is one of the hardest colours for me to interpret and this new colour panel is literally the most anti-colour blind friendly selection ever LOL.  The way the shades subtly change makes it impossible for me to tell where purple ends and blue begins or where red is and what is red or what is maroon or dark brown, green, etc... damn..
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  DarkMacek on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:50 am

This may be out of vogue now, but would you call him a HB?

DarkMacek

Posts : 82
Join date : 2013-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Michael Bolton on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:00 am

I think the consensus on him was that he is a low tenor.
avatar
Michael Bolton

Posts : 413
Join date : 2013-07-16
Age : 64
Location : New Haven, Connecticut

View user profile http://www.michaelbolton.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:06 am

Definitely a HB imo. A good contrast with Clapton who sounded pretty light back then. Smile 
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:05 am

The Great Heroins wrote:I really love Jack Bruce's voice.  Cream is one of the first psychedelic bands I started listening to and looking back I actually realize that Jack is a pretty damn good singer.  Those signature shouts he does around A4 (like on Sunshine of Your Love and Tales of Brave Ulysses) are so damn good.  Compared to Clapton's voice Jack's is raw as hell and much more powerful, not to put Clatpon down. Laughing 


Highs

B4 ("Sitting On Top Of The World")
B♭4 ("Sunshine of Your Love" Live at Winterland)
A4 ("World Of Pain", "Take it Back")


Lows

C3 ("Wrapping Paper")
A2 ("World of Pain")
Cheers for the notes, although the "World of Pain" A2s are Clapton. Sad 
Unless there's a live version where Bruce hits them Surprised 
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:08 am

GT wrote:Definitely a HB imo. A good contrast with Clapton who sounded pretty light back then. Smile 
Well your opinion is wrong.
But who cares about voice types, amarite gaiz?
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 am

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:
GT wrote:Definitely a HB imo. A good contrast with Clapton who sounded pretty light back then. Smile 
Well your opinion is wrong.
Good argument, where did you learn it, Youtube? Laughing 
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:45 am

Nah, just comes naturally with being an arsehole.
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Young Heroins on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 am

God dammit when will people learn that there is no difference between a high baritone and a low tenor..  it's the same damn voice with a lighter or heavier technique...
And yeah listening to world of pain again that is so blatantly Clapton, I am sorry I listened to the song quietly and I just assumed it was Jack!
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 pm


B4 at 1:46.

By the way, I don't think F4s should be considered "high" notes for him. Sure, they're close to his highest recorded note that we know of, but they don't actually sound high for him at all. The way I see it, that would be like starting his lows at E3 or something just because he has nothing below A2.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Young Heroins on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 pm

I personally think F is a generally good high note for his range. However, I do agree they are piss easy for him. I'd say counting at F# might look better though.
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Octave omissions Banghead 

But yeah, even if it is close to the top of his range as we know it, F4s aren't notes that he treats as "high" ones by any stretch. Neither are F♯4s. Even G4 is still pretty mid rangey for him, but I suppose I can compromise on that one. He probably could've gone decently higher than B4, from the sound of it; he just didn't really seem to bother using the "high" end of his voice very much.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Young Heroins on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:59 am

Haha I don't know how I did that man I apologize!  

I pretty much agree to everything you say.  His voice is incredibly easy in that chesty mid range he has all the way up to pretty easy A4s.  If we wanted to nitpick we could easily just count notes at G4 and up, but that would leave us really lacking of notes for the OP because he rarely pushes himself higher than that.  Understandably, psychedelic 60s music never really calls for notes out of the fourth octave.  (Falsetto aside of course)
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 am

The Great Heroins wrote:If we wanted to nitpick we could easily just count notes at G4 and up, but that would leave us really lacking of notes for the OP because he rarely pushes himself higher than that.
So? If he's a singer who really didn't flaunt his range that much, it should make sense for his range thread to not be all that extensive. Besides, it seems like we're content with letting his low range stay at only four semitones, so what's wrong with trimming his high range down to five? Those are really the only "high" notes he has to his name, so we're only gonna end up overcompensating if we try to count mid-range notes like F4s.

Also, has he released like...anything since Cream? I literally haven't heard of him being involved in any projects since the '60s besides the Cream reunion. Same for Ginger Baker, actually...
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Holsety on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 am

Wikipedia says he has 12 solo albums. He has some live ones, too, apparently.
avatar
Holsety
Admin

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 21
Location : Lake Isle of Innisfree

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:47 am

Oh. Well then maybe he actually has some range on those LOOOOOOOOL
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 am

Abacus wrote:Those are really the only "high" notes he has to his name, so we're only gonna end up overcompensating if we try to count mid-range notes like F4s.
http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t38-peter-steele

Wasn\'t Me 
avatar
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1644
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 26
Location : Tejas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:11 am

Except that Steele is a singer who actually does sound like he's starting to get "high" in his range at F4 sometimes, so it's worth acknowledging that in his OP. Jack Bruce is not that kind of a singer.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:41 am

Oh yeah, that reasoning isn't arbitrary at all.
avatar
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1644
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 26
Location : Tejas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 am

I don't see how it's any more arbitrary than any of the rest of the work we do on here.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 am

Drunk 
avatar
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1644
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 26
Location : Tejas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:43 pm

I don't see the problem. If a note sounds somewhat high and is achieved well, we list it. If it sounds like the singer is putting no effort into hitting it and it doesn't stand out as something outside the middle part of their range, we don't. Ergo, Peter Steele has significant F4s and Jack Bruce does not.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Wait, Jack Bruce doesn't have significant F4s? What about the ones in "We're Going Wrong"?
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Bruce

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum