Round 2: MrDevilman vs PepeForever

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 2: MrDevilman vs PepeForever

Post  MrToddington on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:50 pm

As The Great Heroins dropped out, and Rustyfo did not get his submission in on time, their two opponents have been paired up instead.

MrDevilman wrote:Coolest sustained note(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zvcd9NKIT8
2:45 to 3:02

Best Glissando
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfIbJ0BA7wU
multiple between 2:00 to 3:15

Most Beautiful Tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DJEWjtRd6hQ
0:00 to 1:12

versus:

Pepe Forever wrote:
-Coolest sustained note(s):

Peter Steele - It's Never Enough (Type O Negative): http://picosong.com/RHHL/

We all know Peter's ability to hit extremely powerful and gritty 4th octave sustained notes. Here I chose the one that for me sounds best.

-Best glissando:

Ville Valo - Wicked Game (Re-Recorded Version) (HIM): http://picosong.com/RHHU/

Here it is, the master of slides and trills: Ville Valo, I was originally gonna send this one for "best tone" since I think Ville sounds at his best here, but I couldn't find a better glissando use in the other two singers.
Smoothly going in and out of head voice through the whole passage with style and grace, great falssettos on the chorus and great falsetto glissandos near the end. Then some emotional mellismatic runs to finnish it of.

-Most beautiful tone:

Layne Staley - Nutshell (Alice in Chains): http://picosong.com/RHHr/

Probably my favorite song from the band. Mostly mid-range singing. Soulful and sorrowful tone with really tasteful use of twang and almost angel like falsettos in the interludes.
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 2: MrDevilman vs PepeForever

Post  Michael Bolton on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:07 am

1. The Dog Fashion Disco dude - That's great stuff. I don't think it'll fare particularly well among a competition with more traditional approaches to vocalizing, but that's a very cool sound he is letting out, fits the song context. 3/5
Peter Steele - I've always digged Steele's higher range for the sheer intensity, this one's a great showcase of that as well. Controls the note very impressively, once again injecting his Morrison-ism into the scream. 4/5

Bumblefoot - I've recently realized the huge talent of Bumblefoot both vocally and guitar playing-wise, this performance really does showcase his great singing voice. As a piece of criticism, though, I wouldn't call that fitting for the category. Great singing but not exactly the best example of a legato climb up there. 2/5
Ville Valo - Another clip with some very good singing, but not exactly the best showcase of a 'glissando', apart from the great moment around 0:45. 2,5/5

Janelle Monáe - Very flawless execution, lots of soul and taste. Nothing to complain about. 4,5/5
Layne Staley - A classic one, what's there to say? Beautiful singing. 5/5
Michael Bolton

View user profile http://www.michaelbolton.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Foo on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:27 am

MrDevilman

Sustained: 4/5. WOW Shocked really long distorted note, but not so much of an actual sung note.. still, very impressive
Glissando: 2/5. The singing is beautiful and flawless, but doesn't fit the category... It's just a lot of legatto.
Beautiful: 4,5/5. Very beautiful tone, flawless singing. Great.

Pepe Forever

Sustained: 4,5/5. Amazing distortion, a nice sustained note. What impressed me is how he can hit those high 4th octave notes. He is a bass-baritone o.O
Glissando: 2/5. The singing is really great in general, but there is not much of a glissando in that clip..
Beautiful: 5/5. God bless USA God save the Queen :') This songs brings tears to my eyes and chills to my spine. Amazingly beautiful singing..
Foo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrDevilman on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:41 am

Welp, guess I had no idea what a glissando was. Durrr 
MrDevilman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:10 am

Coolest sustained notes:
Smith: Pretty nice Patton-esque scream, since it sounds kind of inhaled I don't know if there's much actual sustain going on, but it works alright I guess. 2.5/5
Petrus: Steele's notes up there are some of my favourites, I suppose it's because I find them fun and easy to imitate, really nice mix of grit and rich sustain, with a lot of power to boot. 4.5/5

Best glissando:

Bumblefoot: Heard a bit of legato but not too much in the way of actual glissando, nothing really stood out either. 1.5/5
Valo: Not much stood for me here either, nice mix of falsetto sure, but not much in the way of slides. 1.5/5

Most beautiful tone:
Janelle: Really smooth yet powerful and tender at the same time, quite a nice track to listen to and her voice compliments it quite well, nice to see a psychedelic soul throwback. 4.5/5
Layne: I would've personally gone with "River of Deceit" for this category, but since Nutshell of one of my favourite song OF ALL TIME, this works well enough. Layne still has a bit of his signature grit but tones it down a bit for a smoother tone and blends it very well with falsetto, one of the most emotional performances I've ever heard. 4.5/5

Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:30 am

Coolest Sustain
Todd Smith - I can barely make out voice here at all. Sounds absurdly processed and I can't tell if it is impressive or not since it is impossible to tell just what he is doing. 1/5
Peter Steele - Great note. He probably has better examples tbh, but nothing is striking me right now. 4/5

Portamento
Ron Thal - There were a few bits in there that count as sliding. Nice runs and falls all over, but not any real portamento or glissando. 2/5
Ville Valo - Again, I kinda see what you are going for, but you missded the ball here. Valo is one of the few here who has really good glissandos, especially descending ones in the 1st octave. 2.5/5

Gentle Tone
Janelle Monae - This whole arrangement is neat. The singing is pleasant, emotional without trying too hard. 4/5
Layne Staley - Being that this is one of my favorite songs, I will try and hold back bias. So I can say with complete objectivity that this is sung perfectly. 4.5/5 (Unplugged version would be a 5)
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:58 am

Sustain
Todd Hall: Sounds decent but hard to judge due to the mixing. 2/5
Peter Steele: Personally I would've gone with the live version of Black No 1 that sustains a B4 for 10 seconds and then goes up to an E5 or whatever (seriously who would be able to top that?), but still this is a really good note. 4/5

Glissando
Bumblefoot: I was distracted by his awesome guitar playing, but either way I didn't notice an actual glissando. A bit of credit for the singing being good regardless. 2.5/5
Ville Valo: There are a fair number of options with Valo so I'm surprised you chose this one. Again, didn't notice anything I would call a glissando2/5

Beautiful tone
Janelle Monae: Great singing especially at the start. Alternates between solemn and spunky in a cool way. 4/5
Layne Staley: Oh lord that immortal melody! Like Sherick I'm biased, but this is possibly some of the most genuinely sad singing I've heard. Layne finds the perfect tone for this and it sounds both beautiful and tormented at the same time. 5/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:33 pm

MrDevilman wrote:Welp, guess I had no idea what a glissando was. Durrr 
THIS.

Valo had a lot of pretty nice (though kinda short and one time only) slides. If I knew glissando basically meant slides I would've included some of the great ones he has, but I though you had to include something that lasted longer and was a little more subtle and gracious than just simple slides, kinda like the clip Mr. Devilman chose, but I guess it wasn't that.

Whackyooyzero wrote:Personally I would've gone with the live version of Black No 1 that sustains a B4 for 10 seconds and then goes up to an E5 or whatever (seriously who would be able to top that?)
Yeah, I though about that one, but I decided to count good sound over lenght and or technical impresiveness, and that note, though fucking insane, doesn't sound that good to me.
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Pepe Forever wrote:If I knew glissando basically meant slides
MrToddington wrote:2. Best glissando - find some cool vocal slides (keep clips under 1 minute, ideally) and show them off.
Sad Sad Sad Sad 
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:53 pm

I know, I'm a little dumb sometimes xPface Freak 
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:53 pm

www.google.com

en.wikipedia.org

www.dictionary.com
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrDevilman on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Well I thought I put a vocal slide... but apparently it was a Legato, and not a Glissando?
MrDevilman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spydr on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zvcd9NKIT8&t=2m45s

A tip for the future, you can timestamp youtube URLs

Spydr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content