Round 2: Fawfulhasfury vs Blue Saint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 2: Fawfulhasfury vs Blue Saint

Post  MrToddington on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:39 pm

fawfulhasfury wrote:1. Coolest sustained notes - king Diamond - A Corpse Without Soul

0:56 to 1:59. Some raw but awesome falsetto from A Corpse without Soul.

2. Best glissando - Geddy Lee - Anthem

The famous ascending screams from Anthem. at 1:30 and 2:27

3. Most beautiful tone - Liz Gillies - Father and Son

0:15 to 1:50. This is a million times better than my last Liz Gillies clip. Smile

versus:

Blue Saint wrote:1. "Coolest sustained note"- I have chosen Bjork and the song "Big Time Sensuality".
Place to listen to 2:49-3:13.

2. "Best glissando"- I have chosen Siouxsie Sioux and the song "Dazzle".
Place to listen to is 2:37-3:27.

3. "Most beautiful tone"- I have chosen Lisa Gerrard and the song "Space Weaver".
Place to listen to is 2:46-4:26.

MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 2: Fawfulhasfury vs Blue Saint

Post  Michael Bolton on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 am

1. King Diamond - Sorry, Diamond fans, but this sound is very unappealing to my ears, as well-controlled as it is. Funnily enough, resembles Michael Sweet tonally at points, but the airy and whiny sound is not really my thing. 1,5/5
Björk - Your timestamp choice was rather odd, for the sustained part was only a small fragment of it. Now for the singing itself: amazing! Produces a very clear, good sound. 4/5

Geddy Lee - Kickass! 4/5
Siouxsie Six - Once again, I question the timestamps. Hell, I question the whole clip, as I heard no particular climb-ups there. Good singing, but a wrong choice for this category. 1/5

3. Liz Gillies - Beautiful tone, tonally extremely reminiscent of Alanis Morissette. 4/5
Lisa Gerrard - Albeit a bit nasally at times, Gerrard sounds good and sings through the song very tastefully with a clear sound. Love the subtle softer parts. 4/5
Michael Bolton

View user profile http://www.michaelbolton.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:16 am

1. King Diamond - Pretty well controlled, but not really to my taste. 2.5/5.
Bjork - Though she doesn't actually sustain any one note for long, she displays good tone and power. 3/5.

2. Geddy Lee - Very good choice. 4/5.
Siouxsie Sioux - A surprisingly pleasant listen, but the glissandos aren't really a notable feature. 2/5.

3. Liz Gillies - Very nice warm, gentle tone at the start. When she starts singing the "son" part her tone is harder, which is appropriate in the context of the song because it successfully conveys the impression of the different narrator, but it's not as "beautiful". 3/5.
Lisa Gerrard - Lovely ethereal sound. 4/5.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 am

Best Sustain
King Diamond - Ergh, Mercyful Fate-era head tone. It sounds unpleasant, the trills are off-key, and the technique he uses isn't that great. 1.5/5
Bjork - Great tone and power, but not much sustaining going on. It's a moral victory for tonality here. 2/5

Portamento
Geddy Lee - Yep, saw it coming. Great control, at a pitch that few other than Geddy could pull off naturally. 4.5/5
Siouxsie Sioux - I have no idea what you wanted us to listen to. 1/5, because I can't do 0.

Gentle Tone
Liz Gillies - She CAN sing! Pretty casual singing; despite the context I don't find it to be especially gentle. Kinda like she's going through the motions. 1.5/5
Lisa Gerrard - Whoa this is weird...but what else was I expecting really? I would describe this as more soulful than gentle, but there is shades of that in here as well. 2/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:27 am

Coolest sustained notes(s):
King: I suppose because this was early MF, his voice here sounds pretty thin and weak, he sustains the notes well enough but there's not much power. 2/5
Bjork: She projected those few notes well enough, good control and power, tis a shame it wasn't longer. 3.5/5

Best glissando:
Geddy: Really smooth and powerful, sounds quite gritty when he gets to the top however it's well supported. 4/5
Siouxsie Sioux: I suppose there are a couple of slides there but I really had to listen for them, so it wasn't very impressive. 1.5/5

Most beautiful tone:
Gillies: She starts off pretty nice however I felt she got a little dark at points, although suppose since she's singing song originally by a man she kind of has to. 3/5
Gerrard: Little too nasal for my tastes, she lightens up here and there tho. 2/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:39 am

Sustain
King Diamond: Love it. King Diamond for lyfe man:rock:, but fanboying aside I love the way that thin tone of his complements the lyrics (and sue me I think it sounds cool) plus he manages to control it while leaving out airiness quite well. 4/5
Bjork: Quite cool sustains but they were more brief and the tone was a touch too nasal for me, but still pretty good. 3/5

Glissando
Geddy Lee: Classic glissando, hard to go wrong with this one even though the top notes aren't as pronounced as I'd like. 4.5/5
Siouxie Sioux: I really like the singing here but there aren't any glissandos. 1/5

Beautiful tone
Elizabeth Gillies: Fairly nice tone I guess but didn't strike me as particularly beautiful. 2.5/5
Lisa Gerrard: From what I've heard of Gerrard I would probably have chosen another clip, but she still sounds pretty good here. Again not that beautiful really and a tad nasal, but I enjoyed it a tad more than the Gillies clip. 3/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top