View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 1: fawfulhasfury vs 失格 - Shikkaku -

Post  MrToddington on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:24 am

fawfulhasfury wrote:Best distorted tone:

uh...

most impressive live singing:

1:42-2:23

most tonally varied:

Make sure you listen to this all the way through because he keeps bringing in new voices throughout the song (even at the very end)

Versus:

失格 - Shikkaku - wrote:
Best Distortion: http://picosong.com/RE9R/ (Damnagoras)
Best Live Vocals http://picosong.com/REcW/ (Marcela Bovio)
Most Varied Performance: http://picosong.com/RE9c/ (Kyo)
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: fawfulhasfury vs 失格 - Shikkaku -

Post  B6 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:51 am

Best distorted tone:
Elizabeth Gillies: Not sure if srs. Not even her cuteness can grant this anything higher than 0.5/5. Sorry Sad 
Damnagoras: Though the tone got a bit airier in the top tone or so, this was some good grit. Agile, Bon Jovi-esque boyish singing with good control. 4/5

Most impressive live singing:
Geddy Lee: I know some people dislike Geddy's tone, but personally I love it. A really distinctive style, and I think this displays it pretty well. He maintains pretty good control while screaming entire lines super high, and it sounds like he's having a relatively good time with his projection at least in the first half of the performance or so. You could have picked better performances by him, probably. Still, 4/5 sounds fair to me.
Marcela Bovio: That was live? Honestly would have thought it was a studio recording. Doesn't sound too challenging for her, but still absolutely flawless, so IDK,4.5/5?

Most tonally varied performance:
King Diamond: While the whininess displayed throughout might obscure it, I do think this is super varied. Some of the highs are clean but pretty resonant, and almost remind me of Midnight; some are softer and more ethereal, some are belts, some have a fryish raspiness. And there are some not-even-that-high moments that enhance the weirdness and varied-ness. 5/5, because it's more tasteful than...
Kyo: A variety of approaches, for sure, with demonic growls, quiet lowish singing, clean, controlled head voice, and scary squeaks. I didn't like it, because it mostly sounded awful, but the versatility displayed is undeniable. He not only sounds like different people, he even sounds like things that aren't people at all. 4.5/5
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:02 am

Distortion
Elizabeth Gillies: Gotta appreciate the attempt. .5/5
Damnagoras: Good sounding grit, tastefully executed. 4/5

Live Performance
Geddy Lee: It's okay, I mean it's nothing we haven't heard from Geddy many times before, and it mostly comes off screamy. 2.5/5
Marcela Bovio: Great control, consistency, good tonality. It sounded really relaxed, which I don't know if that worked in favor for or against it. 3.5/5

Tonal Versatility
This matchup is fucked up. Either one of these two would slay in this category, but up against each other? On one hand, Diamond is probably the single best pick for the category; almost every song he performs has multiple "voices" in it, and this is no exception. His own whiney falsetto and gruff mid voice, the neutral used for the grandma, the affect for the little girl, the closed throat for Them...and then the random but varied voices at the end. As a drawback, most of his voices are amelodic.
The other hand, Kyo is fucking insane. Immense differentiation of technique, a whole whole lot of non-modal, but also embellished with impressive clean highs and a few melodic moments that took me by surprise.
I'm giving both of these a 5/5.
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 am

Elizabeth Gillies-----------0/5 (or 1/5 since this things are supposed to be 1 to 5). No, just no. This is a SINGING battle for Christ sake, and even so I've heard a thousand more cooler sounding shouts (Tourette's Guy for example). This, just... FAIL.

Damnagoras---------------3,5/5. Nice nasal whiny tone. Reminded me of Mustaine a little. Though not really distorted and not my kind of distortion, it was pretty enjoyable.

---------------------------------------

Geddy Lee-----------------3,5/5. LOL, blues vocals on helium. Gotta say it was pretty nice, not really very impressive, but some pretty controlled and tastefully executed highs, that's it. Really digging the vibrato on the higher notes.

Marcela Bovio-------------4/5. Like B6 said, flawless. Not really challenging or impressive, but damn that tone sounds nice. Very tastefully and emotively executed and phrased too.

-----------------------------------------

King Diamond-------------4/5. Holy shit, it's Dr. Rockzo. I DO COCAAAAAAAAAAINE!!!
Now seriously, that was pretty thight. Nice whiny head voice. But I don't really see that much variation here. He sounds like Dr. Rockzo for most of it, it sounds really nice when he puts a deeper tone or when he does that old-lady fryish voice, but that appears very briefly in the song. Still really nice and technically impressive.

Kyo--------------------------5/5. It's motherfucking Kyo, one of the most versatile singers in metal and every genre in general. As I said to Jever before "I feel bad for anyone that goes against you in the 'Most Varied Tone' category" 'cause he's almost unbeatable in that aspect. The clean highs are pretty good, the whistles part are enjoyable, the growls, well not that much, but still nice. This is mental sickness and insanity turned into a voice. Hands down.
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 am

Distorted tone:
Gillies: Facepalm 1/5
Damnagoras: Kind of annoying and whiny, but good enough grit I guess. 2/5

Live Singing:
Geddy: Proves himself to be the (Canadian) man Cool Powerful high notes and consistent delivery, probably one of the best live clips in this category yet. 5/5
Marcela: Nice sounding and effortless, not totally impressive tho. 3.5/5

Tonal Variance:

King Diamond:Like Holsety/Macca, it seems you picked a "character" track and have to say this one's pretty eerie, witchy sounds and demonic howls galore, very interesting to listen to. 4.5/5
Kyo: Quite a lot here, pretty bizarre hearing the switch between those inhuman growls and normal j-rock singing, along with crazy screeches, not that pleasant sounding tho. 4/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  fawfulhasfury on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:11 am

Facepalm I assumed that best distorted tone meant only harsh screams and growls. Well it's only a test round.
fawfulhasfury

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrDevilman on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Best Distortion:

Elizabeth Gilles - Great troll post is great. 2.5/5 because I lol'd

Damngrogas - Good control, but doesn't sound too gritty to me... 3/5

Best Live Singing:

Geddy Lee - Its Geddy being Geddy - 3/5

Marcela Bovio - Are you sure this is live? its spot on. 3/5

Best Variations:

King Diamond - I love the slight alterations in his falsetto, and the very subtle, easy to miss tone changes. Fuckin great. 4.5/5

Kyo - One of my favorite DEG songs and with good reason. Kyo is a fucking powerhouse, (I may be a bit biased though cause I just bought the tickets to see them...)  4.5/5
MrDevilman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:12 am

Best Distortion:

Elizabeth Gilles: great screaming 1/5
Damngrogas: It lacks distortion 3/5

Best Live Singing:

Geddy Lee: nice highs there 3/5
Marcela Bovio: nice singing anyway i didn't find it that amazing 2/5

Best Variations:

King Diamond: i don't know what to say about this one, i can't agree about this being that much varied performance 3/5
Kyo: we need holly water for this one. 5/5
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top