ROUND 1: Celice vs The Great Heroins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 1: Celice vs The Great Heroins

Post  MrToddington on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Celice wrote:After much agonising over which clips to select for which categories, I finally settled on these:

Best distorted tone: Todd Rundgren - Liar https://soundcloud.com/irene-mciver/liar-clip

Most impressive live singing: Vitas - Prelude (Kremlin 2002) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rySmEhOqRrU#t=1s

Most tonally varied performance: Morten Harket (a-ha) - Manhattan Skyline https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2r28M1TrY

Whole songs from which first 2 clips were taken:

Versus:
The Great Heroins wrote:Here is the best distorted tone.  - Arthur Lee

0:37 - 1:00

Best vocally varied performance - Andrew Vanwyngarden
http://picosong.com/REnj/

Best live performance - Jeff Lynn
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: Celice vs The Great Heroins

Post  B6 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 am

Best distorted tone:
Todd Rundgren: That was scary! I'd give this a 3.5/5. Not too refined, but powerful and rough nonetheless.
Arthur Lee: Meh, this was pretty much just shouting for the most part. 2.5/5

Most impressive live singing:
Vitas: I disliked the whiny tone at the beginning, but hell, that B♭5. The "thing" afterwards was interesting, though very random and (at points) rather weak. 3/5
Jeff Lynne: Nothing particular, technically speaking, but very nice feeling in the whole performance, and lovely tone too. I liked the falsetto bits. 4/5

Most tonally varied performance:
Morten Harket: Very fine choice. Some really soft and light bits, angry/shouty parts, some operatic.like high notes here and there too. Not extremely varied, but not bad either, 3.5/5.
Andrew Vanwygarden: I mean, sure, he sings in different areas of his voice, but it sounds like he basically pushes a single tone up with no support until he breaks into a Mickey Mousey falsetto. Not as good an example of versatility as it is of unconsciousness. 2/5
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Foo on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 am

Best distorted tone:
Todd Rundgren: 3/5. If the vocal track was louder, it would be a lot better. The distortion was very good, the singing was unimpressive in general, in my opinion
Arthur Lee: 1/5. Almost not distorted at all, and barely even sung. It sounds more like speaking and shouting

Vitas: 3,5/5. Wtf? Very good technically, but (s)he missed a few notes here and there, ran out of breath at a few spots, too. I did not find it enjoyable Razz
Jeff Lynne: 4/5. Flawless, sounds like a studio recording. Not impressive in general, but it gets its credit because of the flawlessness. I'm pretty impressed.

Morten Harket: 3,5/5. Clean modal singing, falsetto, and even powerful and soulful gritty singing. Could be more varied tonally, though.
Andrew VanWyngarden: 2,5/5. Apart from mid-range modal singing and high falsetto notes, there aren't many different approaches to singing in this one.
Foo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 am

I should perhaps mention that the reason I presented Vitas' performance as video rather than audio was so that people could see that the bits where he seems to go quiet are because he moves the microphone away from his face while still singing, to allow the audience (at least the ones sitting near the front) to hear his voice unamplified.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:40 am

Thanks for the feedback guys!! Great criticism. As you guys know I have only been singing for a little over a year and a half now so I don't know exactly all the different vocal definitions mean. (I am pretty surprised that the arthur lee clip was not an example of distorted tone but I guess I can see what you guys mean, and as far as the tonally varied thing goes I guess I also agree and I apologize for not finding more correct examples.) Hopefully next categories will be something I have a clear understanding of so I won't post something inadequate. Again, thanks guys!
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  inhibitions on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:45 am

Most Distorted Tone:

Todd Rundgren: 4/5
Arthur Lee: 1/5

Rundgren made me shiver. Lee made me laugh.

Most Impressive Live Performance:

Vitas: 2/5
Jeff Lynne: 5/5

Vita's performance was eye-catching... Just not impressive. Jeff's performance was spot-on and tasteful.

Most Tonally Varied

Morten Harket: 3/5
Andrew Vawyngarden: 2.5/5

Two average songs in terms of tonally vaired... Still nice sounding though.
inhibitions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:52 am

That "singing" by Arthur on that song is raw as hell. I honestly expected that to be the most well rated category. Oh well.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:47 am

Distorted Tone:
Rundgren: Pretty eerie, noticed more vocal effects than any natural distortion, but what little was there was fairly tasteful. 3/5
Arthur Lee: Kinda sounds like a less "cool" Morrison towards the end, not much here since it's a couple of random shouts. 2/5

Live Singing:

Vitas: Started off annoying nasal, then just got weird from there, overall a little too grating and pretentious for me. 1.5/5
Jeff Lynne: Not too familiar w/ELO but this guy's voice sounds like it hasn't aged AT ALL Shocked , nice control of falsetto and overall stays very consistent throughout. 3.5/5

Tonal Variance:

Harket: Starts off w/ what you would except from Mr."Take on Me", but then takes a quick turnaround and was surprised to hear how aggressive he can get, nice control all around very effective delivery. 4/5
Vanwyngarden: Once again, I hear a lot of effects to change his voice but very little of his actual voice seems to change here, there's a couple of headier parts and some light falsetto but nothing that's really distinctive. 2/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:59 am

Todd Rundgren-------2.5/5. An enjoyable tone, but really buried under the layers of instrumental, also not very appealing to me.

Arthur Lee------------2.5/5. As the fragment you picked, this doesn't feature much singing and more "yeah!"s than other thing. Not a very impressive or very distorted tone either. Sounds like your typical 60/70 psychedelic band rough singer.

------------------------------------------

Vitas----------------3/5. Well, good clip. Sounds pretty nice and smooth in some parts (the beginning), but also kinda annoying on others (that gurgling during the Flight of the Bumblebee thing, for example). I'm gonna give it a 3 due to the control and awesomenes since I didn't really enjoy the sound of this guy's voice.

Jeff Lynn----------- 3/5. Well bro you were supposed to pick or highlight a one minute long fragment instead of a full performance. That aside, nice tone, though not technically impressive at all, it's pretty enjoyable with the falsettos in the chorus and all that. I would give it a lower score, but that would be hypocrite of me, going against my "fuck technique, versatility and all that shit, sounding good and tasteful is what matters" and that sounded good.

--------------------------------------------

Morten Harket------3/5. Some falsetto, some moderately gritty tones, both powerful and chesty singing and light, quiet and soft singing. Varied performance in the sense of dynamics and different techniques, but not really in the sense of different tones and he doesn't try anything out of the ordinary either. Still, Morten Harket's voice is amazing, and if it wasn't because we are rating Varied Tones here I would give this 4,5/5 for sure.

Andrew Vanwyngarden-1.5/5. Really nice falsetto, head voice-ish singing, nice mid-range singing, but not more techniques or styles and not really much variety in tone at all. Only moment where he sounded just a little different was near the end where he sounded like Lennon a little, but no more.
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Thank you guys for the comments, very nice reviews by the both of you.

Sandblasted I find it funny you said he sounded like a "less cool Jim Morrison" because Arthur Lee was one of Jim Morrison's biggest influences. Arthur Lee said Jim Morrison was his fanboy always hanging around his house. The band Love was booked as the house band for the Whiskey-A--Go-Go a year before the Doors were even playing at the cheap london fog right by it in LA. The Doors as a band would go watch Arthur Lee and love and marvel at their sound. John Densmore the drummer actually expressed that he wanted to be the drummer for Love haha.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:03 am

I was more referring to how the last couple of notes sounded like Morrison's shouts but a bit less powerful (was kinda at a loss for words for some reason), but thanks for the perspective anyway (the 60s is probably the only era in rock music I don't have too much knowledge of).
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 am

I. Best Distortion

Todd Rundgren: Not a really enjoyable clip, but a decent fit for the category. 3/5

Arthur Lee: Not distorted at all. Just some slightly-rough shouts. 2/5

II. Best Live Performance

Vitas: The beginning was simply wonderful, but then he started gurgling and it went to hell. 2,5/5

Jeff Lynne: Nice performance. Not that great, but decent. 3/5

III. Most Tonally Varied Performance

Morten Harket: Lovely soft vocals and suprisingly aggressive vocals (although not that enjoyable). Not much variety, but sounds like a decent fit again. 3,5/5

Andrew Vanwyngarden: Not really versatile at all. 1,5/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Best distorted tone:

Todd Rundgren: 2/5 weird clip lol
Arthur Lee: 1/5. just no

Vitas: 2/5 he looks like a space guru, weird as hell performance, not that impressive vocally anyway.
Jeff Lynne: 3/5 mmm better than Vitas but that wasn't that impressive.

Morten Harket: 3/5 nice cleans at the start, i really liked those verses they sound really powerfull, even some soul vibe going on.
Andrew VanWyngarden: 2/5 not that varied for me
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top