ROUND 1: B6 vs Sandblasted

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 1: B6 vs Sandblasted

Post  MrToddington on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm

B6 wrote:Kate Bush- Best distorted tone- A bit from "Violin", with gritty singing at G♯5 in the choruses and some slides up to the same pitch here and there. http://picosong.com/Ru5v/
Full version of "Violin":
Geike Arnaert- Most impressive live singing- "Antarctica", featuring some hella resonant singing down to a dark F♯3 and up to amazing B4s and C5s. http://picosong.com/Ru5B/
Full version of "Antarctica:
Alison Goldfrapp- Most tonally varied performance- "Twist", going from the low-sung, dark verses to the belted chorus, sung on F5, to an unexpected quasi-operatic slide up to a controlled E♭6 (at 2:47), plus some nice moaning and random B♭5-C6 belts all around.

Versus:

Sandblasted wrote:Best distorted tone: Phil Anselmo - The Great Southern Trendkill
http://picosong.com/RQ3V

Pretty self-explanatory, since Phillip is (in)famous for his raunchy barks and screams, this clip I feel best represents his voice at it's truly most venomous stage.

Most impressive live singing:
Ray Gillen - Winter's Call (Mountain View 1989)
http://picosong.com/RQ3b
Spoiler:
Excerpted from this performance:

Had a hard time choosing between this one or the version he did on Children of The Sea from his stint in Sabbath, this clip starts right off the bat with a powerful E5 not present in the studio version, then proceeds to nail the E5s that were in the studio version towards the end.

Most tonally varied performance:
Ian Gillan - Place in Line

Mr. Gillan swtiches between several different timbres in this one, starting off in a very blusey, almost black-sounding voice, then going to his usual chesty register, as well some light falsetto and even throws in one of his signature wails @ 2:18.
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: B6 vs Sandblasted

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Distortion:
Kate Bush: 4/5
Phil Anselmo: 4/5

Even though Phil was hella more distorted, the tone on the top screams was kind of unenjoyable (and this is coming from a Phil fan) in that clip pus I thought that sustained note Kate did was quite impressive too. Ultimately not sure.

Live:
Geike Arnaert: 4.5/5
Ray Gillen: 3/5

Ray wasn't too fantastic here I thought though he sounded good (almost exactly like Coverdale in this clip). Geike was tonally and in terms of emotion conveyed more impressive to me.

Versatility:
Alison Goldfrapp: 3.5/5
Ian Gillan: 4/5

Ian I thought was more versatile with the alteration of moods in his singing here. Alison sounds great but the vocal lines were a bit samey.

Last edited by Whackooyzero on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MooseyFate on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Best distorted tone:
Kate Bush: 4/5
Sounds kinda like a cartoon chicken or something but I really dug it.
Phil Anselmo: 5/5
He's a natural distorted guy, so this category was all his.

Best live performance:
Geike Arnaert: 5/5
Smooth as hell, sounds like a studio recording.
Ray Gillen: 5/5
Acrobatic as hell, sounds like a Robert Plant/Dio crossbreed.

Most tonally varied:
Alison Goldfrapp: 4/5
A whole lot of different tones and textures being played with.
Pretty surprising, sounds like every section could be a different guy.
MooseyFate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Foo on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Distortion:
Kate Bush: 2/5. That's what you get when you only pick female singers *coughs* Wink
Phil Anselmo: 3/5. Amazing distortion, but no control and not really pleasant sound

Live:
Geike Arnaert: 3/5. Just beautiful singing, with some emotion to it. Nothing too special
Ray Gillen: 3/5. He sounded pretty good, some nice strong high notes, but nothing too special again

Versatility:
Alison Goldfrapp: 4/5. A pretty weird, but totally varied performance. Many unexpected high notes, and Alison showcases a three-octave range just in one song.
Ian Gillan: 4/5. This performance is quite versatile, but no so much tonally, as in the vocal color and timbre.
Foo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Danerage on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Best distorted tone:
Kate Bush: 4/5. Nice growl she gets into her tone there.
Phil Anselmo: 3/5. Found the clip kinda boring, the distortion was a more typical 'off-center overdrive' creaking approach.

Geike Arnaert: 1/5. Nothing particularly difficult to replicate in a live setting here.
Ray Gillen: 3/5. Lots of I and E vowels, pretty tough to sing. His tone sounds kinda muddy to me on a few parts where he should've modified the vowel.

Most tonally varied performance
Alison Goldfrapp: 1/5 Didn't hear much tonal variation here at all... Just the same thing at different pitches.
Ian Gillan: 3/5 Uses a bunch of different modes here, quite versatile. Overdrive, curbing, neutral, edge-like neutral... Not much variation in technique though, all approaches are tuned quite similarly.
Danerage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Best distorted tone:
Kate Bush: 3/5
I've heard much better - even from a woman.
OK, but nothing more.

Phil Anselmo: 4,5/5
Not too pleasantly-sounding, but an excellent fit for the category.

Geike Arnaert: 3,5/5
Very good singing, but not overwhelmingly good.

Ray Gillen: 3,5/5
Same here.

Alison Goldfrapp: 2,5/5
Not too varied in terms of tonalities.

Varied and sounds good.
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 am

Best distorted tone:

Kate Bush: 2/5
Nice distorted notes, still i found that clip pretty weird.
Phil Anselmo: 3/5
I don't give it more because it is just a scream but what a scream. All TGSTK is a good example of no mercy for your own voice

Most impressive live singing

Geike Arnaert: 2/5
Really nice singing for sure but i don't find it that impressive.
Ray Gillen: 3/5, better than B6's one IMO still not that impressive.

Really sexy and weird performance, it got me hot xD.
Ian Gillan: 3/5
Nice performance still i found Alison more varied, like more wtfable
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:10 am

DonutsGalacticos wrote:Best distorted tone:

Nice distorted notes, still i found that clip pretty weird.
I don't give it more because it is just a scream but what a scream. All TGSTK is a good example of no mercy for your own voice

Most impressive live singing

Geike Arnaert: 2/5
Really nice singing for sure but i don't find it that impressive.
Ray Gillen: 3/5
Better than B6's one IMO still not that impressive.

Really sexy and weird performance, it got me hot xD.
Ian Gillan: 3/5
Nice performance still i found Alison more varied, like more wtfable
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  inhibitions on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:59 am

Best Distorted Tone:

Alright. At least she used it in a context.

I didn't like the random scream at the beginning. But other than that... A typical sounding distorted clip.

Most Impressive Live Singing:

Geike Arnaert: 3/5
Wasn't really all that impressive, but it was an easy listen

Ray Gillen: 4.5/5
I was actually sorta impressed by this one. Nice and clean... Awesome sound.

Most Tonally Varied Performance:

Alison Goldfrapp: 1/5
Alright sounding. Don't see how it was tonally varied at all.

Really nice. On point. You nailed it.
inhibitions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 am

Distortion
Kate Bush: Surprisingly good female example. Kinda sparse, but that's to be expected. 3/5
Phil Anselmo: Kind of a disappointing selection for Phil, one of the masters of this style. Still dominates the category though. 4.5/5

Live Performance
Geike Arnaert: Not bad, not bad at all. I was pretty bored until the last 20 or so seconds, which contained some very elegant and restrained phrasing. 3/5
Ray Gillen: I'm not sure why you chose this whole clip, when there is hardly any singing until the end. Decent rock singing, but lacks the uniqueness of the last clip. 2.5/5

Tonal Versatility
Alison Goldfrapp: I think you are confusing "variety of tone" with "lots of range". She sings in essentially the same tone for the majority of the song, and the only real change occurs when she jumps into the superhighs. 2/5
Ian Gillan: Hey this is pretty good. Decent use of multiple modes and techniques. 3/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Kate Bush-----------------3/5. Mostly clean sounding, but the gritty parts were nice and that note at 0:16 was thight. The instrumentation reminds a lot of Heart. Nice distortion for a woman, but as much as I don't hear many music featuring female singers, I've heard woman rock singers doing a better grit, so a 3 it is.

Phil Anselmo------------2,5/5. As a (pseudo) Phil fan I gotta say you kinda missed the point here. You apparently chose a clip that features clip greatest and most extreme amounts of distortion with the most extreme technique instead of one where he sounds best doing it, and damn he has A LOT of instances in which he sounds better ("Cemetery Gates" and "Cowboys from Hell" are among my favorites).
The first sounding good at the beginning but it started losing some quality towards the end. The singing sounds decent, but lacks the usual consitency and quality that Phil has.
A poor choice IMO. Choosing any of Pantera's most known songs would've granted you victory pretty much against anyone, but I'm afraid that in spite of the insanity, miss Bush takes the prize here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Geike Arnaert----------4/5. Though not really demanding and really calm, it was incredibly smooth and almost unbelieavable seamless to be a live perfomrance. Great phrasing, vibrato and really nice sounding tone. Few singers can perform with such seamlessness live so it deserves a nice rating.

Ray Gillen---------------3/5. Nice, but apart of the high notes, nothing out of the ordinary or remarkably good sounding and I might be crazy but the rest of the singing sounded a little bit shaky IMO, say, like most decent live performances by your everyday singer sound. I give a 3 for the cool highs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Alisson Goldfrapp------2,5/5. Lotsa range in there, but the tone is the same most of the time (maybe just a little different when the really high notes kick in). Nice use of different techniques, from smooth low singing to head voice to gritty chesty screaming, but no more than that.

Ian Gillan----------------2,5/5. Well, he manages to establish a slight but noticable difference between his tone in the verses and in the chorus. The wail sounded incredible. But I was expecting more variety and I don't know where the light falsetto you mentioned is.  There was also very few variation in styles and technique.
It's kind of the same issue if we compare with the Goldfrapp performance, both great sounding and somehow diverse, but really lacking true variety IMO. So same score for both I say.
(BTW you could've told us there was a REALLY long guitar solo and then keyboard solo in the middle, anyways it was rather nice to hear)
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top