ROUND 1: Rustyfo vs Whackooyzero

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 1: Rustyfo vs Whackooyzero

Post  MrToddington on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:18 pm

rustyfo wrote:- Best distorted tone:

3:24
Mr. Chris Cornell going all out in this emotional tribute to the victims of hurricane Katrina.
Close call between this and the finale to "Show Me How To Live" for me.

- Most impressive live singing:

4:50
Of course the amazing Jeff always nails it live, but the climax to this Grace performance has always been my clear favorite amongst the lot. Amazingly powerful and could probably take the prize for best tonally varied as well.

- Most tonally varied performance:

Abel Tesfaye is gifted with a naturally high placed tenor sound, giving him an absolutely perfect mixed voice where he sings the most. In addition his falsetto is beautifully sexy, and surprisingly he even belts very well when he decides to do it; nails a C5 easily at 2:29 in the clip.

Versus:

Whackooyzero wrote:Distortion: Matt Barlow
http://picosong.com/RmKE/

Live performance: Anneke van Giersbergen
http://picosong.com/RmKu/

Versatility: David DeFeis
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: Rustyfo vs Whackooyzero

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Vocal Distortion
Chris Cornell: High distortion, but not very well controlled and didn't sound good. You missed the mark man, there are tons of killer moments using grit. 3/5
Matt Barlow: No one has gravel control quite like Barlow, and "Ghost Light" is one of his most interesting displays. Dat vibrato, 4/5

Live Performance
Jeff Buckley: He just nails that part there. I'm surprised I'm not familiar with this performance honestly. Good stuff. 3.5/5
Anneke Van Girgagirga: Really solid live singing. Close matchup here, but this performance just had more to it, and it showed off essentially everything that was impressive about Buckley's, plus a little more. 4/5

Tonal Versatility
Abel Tesfaye: I'm sorry to tell ya man, but there's not much going here. His tone is consistent and singular throughout the performance, regardless of the register. Which is impress in itself, but is the opposite of what this category is about. 1.5/5
David DeFeis: Notice the different "voices" DeFeis utilizes here? Power metal singers are typically limited here because of the energy of the music, but this song is pretty unique. 4/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MooseyFate on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Best distorted tone:
Chris Cornell: 3/5
I love me some Cornell, but there's better moments by him.

Matt Barlow: 4/5
Pretty good technically, had some unintentionally funny spots.

Best live performance:
Jeff Buckley: 4/5
Tonally weak in spots, but awesome in others.

Anneke van Giersbergen: 4.5/5
Ambitious vocal lines, but a bit shaky.

Most tonally varied:
Abel Tesfaye: 3/5
Not much going on here in terms of tonal difference.

David DeFeis: 3/5
Not much here either.
MooseyFate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B6 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Best distorted tone:
Chris Cornell: Cornell has some pretty great gritty and powerful moments, not sure why you'd pick that. It sounds extremely dry, and just plain bad and unhealthy. I feel pain in my throat listening to that. 2/5
Matt Barlow: That was killer! He stays in a relatively mid-range area (though he surely makes it sound much lower than it is), yet puts that insanely strong and controlled growliness and strong vibrato. Sounds really monstrous, in an impressive way. 4.5/5

Most impressive live singing:
Jeff Buckley: I have mixed feeling about that. It's really impressive technically, what with all the continuous switches between gritty and clean and all that, but I also feel like he fell flat quite a bit. A lot of those squeaky ad-libs sounded rather random too. Still, it was impressive live singing, so not bad. 3.5/5
Anneke van Giersbergen: Here and there some weak spots appeared, and for some reason it sounded a bit off-pitch here and there as well, though I wouldn't know exactly where and how. However, that was very well controlled, and that vibrato was really good. 3.5/5

Most tonally varied performance:
Abel Tesfaye: Really nice light, boyish tone and runs and everything. However, his tone is pretty consistent throughout the song, and his approach doesn't even vary that much. 2/5
David DeFeis (The Face?): Well, that wasn't exactly the most tasteful performance. Random notes everywhere, with random "epic reverb!!!" which makes it sound really weird, and the song was pretty awful as far as I'm concerned. However, he kind of sounds like different people in different parts of the song, and even in different layers at the same time or within the same phrase. He changes his approach a lot, with some resonant belts at times, some high, clean falsettos, the airy singing in the lead vocal, and the solid-ish harmony lows. I'd give this 3/5.
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Best distorted tone:
Chris Cornell: 2,5/5
Distorted, but just doesn't sound good in any way.
Some points for the emotional delivery.

Matt Barlow: 4/5
Nice control and cool tone.

Best live performance:
Jeff Buckley: 4/5
Classic Jeff Buckley.
Nice display of range, power and tone, but I feel like I've heard him do the song better live.

Anneke van Giersbergen: 3/5
Good singing, but a tad too off-pitch for my taste.

Most tonally varied:
Abel Tesfaye: 1,5/5
Nice voice. I don't hear any tonal variety, though.

David DeFeis: 4/5
Fits the criteria, but is otherwise not the best I've heard from him.
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Guys, I'm going to start rounding up 3.75 to 4. Please, don't use .25 values from now on Razz
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:54 am

Distorted tone:
Cornell: Sounds really weird and "ducky" sounding Laughing, definitely not one of his strongest moments, I personally would've gone with that long ass scream in "Cochise". 2.5/5
Barlow: Matt is the fuckin man, and this does show off how good he is w/Hetfield-esque grit. 4/5

Live Singing:
Buckley: Jeff was just THE fucking man (to differentiate him from Barlow Razz ), you could've gone w/any live clip from this guy and I would've been impressed. 4.5/5
Anneke: She is by far my favourite female vocalist, however I feel like this isn't one of her best performances, it does show off her amazing vibrato well enough but I think she overshot a couple of notes in the beginning of the clip. 4/5

Tonal Variance:

Tesfaye: Always found this guy's voice grating, not technically bad, but as others said he just kind of mixes between his usual voice and falsetto, not much to differentiate from your average "RnB" singer. 1/5
DeFeis: Not familiar w/this guy at all but this seemed impressive enough, those high notes at the beginning almost sounded like Ian Gillan, the mix between those high notes and the almost male soprano-esque ones later on were pretty interesting. 4/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Danerage on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 am

Best distorted tone:
Chris Cornell: 1/5. REALLY annoying clip. Very distorted/raspy, sure... but there's no tone underneath.
Matt Barlow: 3/5. Sounds pretty cool. Thick dark tone and solid control.

Jeff Buckley: 3.5/5. I've always liked this live version. The F#5 is kinda lame though.
Anneke van Giersbergen: 2.5/5. Nice control and dynamics. Kinda pitchy though, and I didn't find it very pleasant to listen to.

Abel Tesfaye: 1/5. Would give this a 0 if I could.
David DeFeis: 3/5. Tonally it's fairly versatile, but I want to strangle you for making me listen to 6+ minutes of this.
Danerage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rustyfo on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Hehe I knew when I picked it that Cornell's clip was hit or miss, when I could have gone with the safe bets of Cochise or Show Me How To Live. I just found it bit boring to do so. The extreme rawness of the Wide Awake ending I find captivating in the context of the song - and the fact it's a live acoustic show - which for me is way more important and expressive than just some boring metal-growling. I always knew I was going to lose the matchup anyway because of Abel Tesfaye lol. There was just absolutely none of the 3 categories I could stick him in convincingly Laughing 

With great risk of sounding like a dick though, I really am utterly shocked that anyone would even consider Jeff's performance to be anything other than in a league of its own haha.

But congrats to Whackooyzero on the practically certain victory.
rustyfo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Chris Cornell-----------2/5. No man, no. Cornell has a thousand distorted passages better than this. Even though is extremely emotional, those C5s sound like his vocals cords were grinding each other or like a dying cat. It doesn't sound pleasant and it's not technically good either. And even more the distorted parts before it (exampel: 3:15 and on) actually sound good, controlled and pleasant.
I really value emotion in music and singing a lot, but if you want emotion without sounding good you can have me singing trying to sing "The Day I Tried to Live" at the top of my lungs while sounding like shit Rolling Eyes 

Matt Barlow----------4/5. Damn, haven't heard Barlow's voice 'till now and I gotta say this man has a really nice distorted tone. Dat baritone In Love
He has my vote

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Buckley---------4/5. I really dig Jeff's voice (wouldn't call myself a fan yet), but for me this performance isn't as excellent and great as you say. Sure, he does sound good, and he could nail those highs like no one can live, but the studio version still sounds better to me and this one hear isn't exempt of the (minimal) flaws and tonal incosistencies of typical live performances (i.e. at the beggining and on "slooooooooooow"). If you ask me, this one ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgvON7pF43o ending starts at 5:19 ), is the best live climax of "Grace" ever. It's also listed as one of Jeff best live performances here, and I think it is, the whole performance is amazing. IMO it beats the performance you posted by far, either way, it's still pretty amazing so it gets a 4/5.

Anneke van Giersbergen-------------3,5/5. That was good, nice tone, a little whiny but I like it. Some pretty good D5s but doesn't seem to be that impressive, demanding or seamless to get a very high score.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abel Tesfaye--------------------------2/5. Dat indiscrete auto-tune and dem nudes :B. Now seriously (before Sippe comes hit me with a hammer for the auto-tune comment), the dude sounded like a man in the beginning, then he sounds like a spot on female, so that deserves props, but it's not anything we haven't heard many high tenors with good head voice do a thousand times. I think you kinda misunderstood the "tonally varied" thing (due to your comment on the "Grace" ending being tonally varied too), it said "find a performance where the singer can mimic various tones (sound like two different people might be it) and different styles/techniques/approaches (falsetto, belting, low singing, mid singing, distortion, fry, growl, etc.)". This barely meets those since apart from the "genre change" the dude keeps the same tone the whole song and even though he uses some falsetto and head voice here and there it's not technically varied either.

David DeFeis------------------------- 3,5/5. Nice no-nuts high notes in the beggining, then the breathy mid-high singing was cool too, he gets some distortion and there. The highs in the middle and end sound absolutely alien like, what the fuck? is that human voice or I'm just mishearing things?. The shrieky metalish vocals mixed but the "angelical" breathy backing vocals make it sounds like it's all the same even though they are too very different tones. Still  not that impressive, but some nice variatons there, and the highs are otherwordly, so 3,5.
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Best distorted tone:

Chris Cornell: 2/5. I wasn't expecting that by mr Cornell, people on that unplugged surely were all like wtf is he doing (or not because of being fanboys), surely not his best distorted clip, i think that for example Show Me How To Live has nice distorted chorus.
Matt Barlow: 2/5. Ughh sounds like Hetfield meets Araya meets some nigga guy, i didn't really like it, the distortion was ok.

Jeff Buckley: 4/5 i always thought this performance was really good.
Anneke van Giersbergen: 1/5 nooo, i didn't like it at at.

Abel Tesfaye: 1/5 typical performance by an R&B singer, can't see the variety in this one.
David DeFeis: 3/5 that track sounds like a videogame xD but i will try to isolate myself and judge the music, nice varied tone, from those highs at the start, to that weird semisung spoken passages on the rest of the song, original for a genere where you always (yeah sorry not always) hear 5th octave notes.
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 am

I. Best Distorted Tone

Chris Cornell: Ugh, that hurts. Distorted as fuck, but a really bad clip in my opinion. 1,5/5.

Matt Barlow: Sounds (much) less distorted than the Cornell's clip, but more pleasant and more well used. (I would have used a clip from Dante's Inferno though, that would completely slayed your opponent Smile ) 3,5/5.

II. Best Live Singing:

Jeff Buckley: Oh my god, I didn't knew he could sound that powerful. His vibrato is quite unique, amazing. 4/5

Anneke van Giersbergen: I somehow knew that you would use this song Razz . She is one of my favourite female singers, but this performance isn't her best. She seems to struggle a bit with some notes and her vibrato sounds a bit uncontrolled in this clip. The "soft" part sounds a bit too aggressive compared to the original version. 2,5/5

III. Most Tonally Versatile Performance

Abel Tesfaye: His timbre is very pleasant, but not really versatile. 2/5

David DeFeis: The really whiny highs in the begining sounded quite annoying (sounds like a bad Roy Khan on Helium) and the sometimes he sounds like a cat being squeezed or a guitar. A good timbre though and I like the grit he uses for some passages. Not reallt versatile but better than the other clip. 3/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrDevilman on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:34 am

Best Distortion:

Chris Cornell - Well, uh, thats distorted to say the least... 2/5
Matt Barlow - With all thoses "EYAH"s, I'd think he was trying to be James Hetfield, nice grit though. 3/5

Best Live Singing:

Jeff Buckley - Now that, is power. Great vibrato, great screams, 4.5/5
Anneke Von Gierbergen - I just don't like the way she runs on this, ugh. 2/5

Tonal Versatility:

Abel Tesfaye - The blatant autotuning bothers me, but the tone is a pleasant high tenor/falsetto, if not really too diverse. 3/5
David DeFeis - Sounds like a pretty standard power metal to me. nice alternation and nice harmony though 3.5/5
MrDevilman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top