ROUND 1: MooseyFate vs PepeForever

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 1: MooseyFate vs PepeForever

Post  MrToddington on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:15 pm

MooseyFate wrote:Best use of distorted tone:
Jack Black - Throwdown
http://picosong.com/Rg7r

Most impressive live singing:
Brian May - Too Much Love Will Kill You (Live at Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert)
http://picosong.com/RgWw

Most tonally varied performance:
Serj Tankian - Vicinity of Obscenity

Versus:
Pepe Forever wrote:"Best distorted tone": Layne Staley from Alice in Chains. "Love Hate Love" (live in Seattle 1991). ( http://picosong.com/RQzK/ )

"Most impressive live singing": Ville Valo from H.I.M. "The Funeral of Hearts" (live at Rock am Ring 2010). ( http://picosong.com/RQzN/ )

"Most tonally varied performance": Peter Steele from Type O Negative. "Anesthesia". ( http://picosong.com/RQTV/ )

MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: MooseyFate vs PepeForever

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Best Distortion
Jack Black: GREAT singing. Distortion's a bit low all things considered, but very tasteful. I wish you hadn't cut if off during that high note. 4/5
Layne Staley: Legendary grit, legendary pull, but for this comparison, I'm going against my instinct and giving it to the fat guy. 3.5/5

Live Performance
Brian May: Very pleasant, but not terribly impressive. 2/5
Ville Valo: Ah, that rangewanking. Amazing projection on first octave notes. 4/5

Tonal Versatility
Serj Tankien: wtfdidijustlistento.jpg. If there's one thing this song has, it is variety of tone. 4.5/5
Peter Steele: hm, Steele is a good choice for this category, but I feel there were better choices. Not that this wasn't good, it's just...eh whatever. 3/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Distortion
Jack Black: 3/5
Layne Staley: 5/5

I'm not too crazy about Black's tone here but I'd still call it good. Layne is a beast at distortion always and a shoo in for the win here imo.

Live
Brian May: 4.5
Ville Valo: 5

Brian's doing some great vocal runs there and everything but Valo out foxes him somewhat by personal preference here. I love low singing and it's always hard to pull off live and he does it better than anyone else. Plus nice run at the beginning.

Versatility
Serj Tankian: 5/5
Peter Steele: 3/5

I love Peter and this song but it's not that versatile in terms of tone or execution. He's basically just singing the same way in different octaves. Serj is a nutball as always and shows it well in the various tones and ways of phrasing he uses in that song.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Foo on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Best distorted tone:
Jack Black: 4/5. Quite impressive in comparison to his singing in general. Nice control, and powerful gritty high notes.
Layne Staley: 4,5/5. It's amazing how this guy can sustain notes (that others hardly even reach) for so long and with such grit. A lot of emotion, too.

Brian May: 3/5. Nice highs, but meh..
Ville Vallo: 4/5. You could've picked that for variety of tone. Amazing lows!

Serj Tankian: 4/5. BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA TERA-COTTA BANANA TERRA-COTTA TERRA-COTTA PIE!
Peter Steele: 3,5/5. It is pretty varied, I can't deny it
Foo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Danerage on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Best distorted tone:
Jack Black: 3/5. Sounds good until he swaps into neutral toward the end... that bit sounds kinda lame.
Layne Staley: 4.5/5. Amazing twang/nasal distortion (and control whilst applying it.)

Brian May: 2.5/5. Nice curbing, nothing too impressive though.
Ville Valo: 2.5/5. Sounds decent, starts a little shaky though. Only impressive part is the thick lows (which he eats the mic to project...)

Serj Tankian: 3/5. Lots of different approaches going on here.
Peter Steele: 1.5/5 What can I say... His highs sound like his lows, his lows sound like his highs. They're tuned the same. No real variation in technique.
Danerage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B6 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Best distorted tone:
Jack Black: Wow, that was pretty great. Not super distorted, but this is about the "best", not "most" distorted tone, right? Well controlled, and tasteful. 4/5
Layne Staley: Of course, Layne was a master of distortion. This is enormously powerful and big-sounding, with tasteful distortion. I'll give this 4.5/5 because even though I liked the Jack Black clip more this is clearly better, more experienced use of distortion, in my opinion.

Brian May: This was great! A fantastic tone, powerful, clear highs and nicely light singing. I'd give this 4.5/5, wish it was longer.
Ville Valo: Rangewanking, but absolutely godlike. Probably the best B♭1s and B1s I've ever heard, cool runs/phrasing, and some surprisingly fitting, light mid-highs. Sounds somewhat fallen-angel-ic, which is also HIM's music tries to do, in my opinion. 5/5

Serj Tankian: That was... freaking absurd. He literally used a different approach every half lyric. I'll give this 5/5, just because I can't give it 134/5. Crazy.
Peter Steele: Well, I don't think I completely agree with what has been said about this. I mean, I won't give it more than 3.5/5, but it's not like he doesn't lighten, use gritty or clean textures in different places, and stuff like that. I also liked the song.
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  inhibitions on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 am

Best Distorted Tone:

Jack Black: 4/5
Layne Stanely: 5/5

While technically great in all aspects, Black just sounds annoying. Going with Layne.

Most Impressive Live Singing:

Brain May: 5/5
Ville Valo: 4.5/5

Brian's performance was seamless. Couldn't say the same about Ville's and that funky breathing.

Most Tonally Varied Performance:

Serj Tankian: 5/5
Peter Steele: 3/5

Wtf. Steele's performance was pretty tight... But Serj is like the epitome of tonally varied.
inhibitions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:53 am

This is like pokemon battles

Best distorted tone

Jack Black: i wasn't expecting that power from him at all, i'll give him 4/5
Layne Staley: amazing for sure and that's a live 5/5

Most impressive live singing

Brian May: really nice but that didn't overwhelmed me that much 3/5
Ville Valo: that's a really nice performance, love his love for rangemasturbation 4/5

Most tonally varied performance

Serj Tankian: i love this man he is crazy and so original 5/5 Razz
Peter Steele: didn't her much variation there 2/5
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:30 am

Distorted Tone:
Black: Doesn't really do anything gritty until he starts hitting the higher fourth octave, nice dramatic performance but the actual distortion is just "okay". 3/5
Layne: What I can say, the man was a master of gritty higher fourth octave notes, huge influence on my singing and this clip shows that technique as it's best. 4.5/5

Live Singing:
May: This is actually the first time I've heard him sing lead, and I'm very impressed by his power and sense of dynamics. Tough thing to top. 4.5/5
Ville: Yet Mr. Valo proves himself to be the master suddenly shifting to the first octave Laughing , pretty jealous how powerful those E♭2s are (let alone the B1s), only problem is he's obviouslly range-wanking. 4/5

Tonal Variance:
Serj: His tour de force in vocal craziness. It speaks for itself. 5/5
Steele: Honestly Pepe I would've gone w/something more like "Too Late: Frozen"(where almost literally sounds like four different people). That said, this is still one of my favourite TON songs (if not one of my favourite songs period), however it doesn't show Peter at his most versatile. 3/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:28 am

I. Best Distortion

Jack Black: Not that great. His timbre is quite annoying. 2/5

Layne Staley: Absurd! Plus, it's live. Win by a long shot. 5/5

II. Best Live Singing

Brian May: Freddie fans are gonna rip my eyeballs, gang rape me, rip out my inner organs and then sodomize my corpse because of this, but Brian was always my favourite voice from Queen. Excellent. He sounds a bit overdramatic on this one, but excelent. 4,5/5.

Ville Valo: The art of range wanking. Pleasant Mid-highs, and astoundingly solid lows. But his melismatic runs someway annoy me. 4,5/5

III. Most Tonally Varied Singing.

Serj Tankian: HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT. This is even more insane than "This Heroin Makes me Feel Like on This Song". 5/5

Peter Steele: A Great performance for sure, but this is simply massacred by the "BANANABANANABANANABANANATERRACOTTABANANATERRACOTTAPIE". 2,5/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrDevilman on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 am

Distorted Tone:
Jack Black - I love it when he goes into the falsetto at the end, great use of grit. 4/5
Layne Stayley - Excellent use of vibrato, with a great amount of growl, not as engaging to me as Jack though. 3.5/5

Brian May - Nice highs, but eh, not in my taste. 2.5/5
Ville Valo - I love Ville's voice, especially with how he can do runs in either direction, and maintain his lows when live. 4.5/5

Tonal Difference
Serj Tankian - Does anything really need to be said about this? Holy Fuck 5/5
Peter Steele - I never thought Steele would lose, but his good use of four tones just cant catch up with Serj 3.5/5
MrDevilman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top