Tonal Versitility:
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 1: Rodney Razorshorts vs MrDevilman

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Best distorted:

Devin Townsend --> 5/5 (More distorted and sounds better imo)
Ron Bumblefoot Thal --> 3/5

Best live:

Tarja Turunen --> 4.5/5 (Dat control and vibrato:inlove:) 
Janelle Monae --> 3/5

Most Tonally Varied:

Hansi Kursch --> 4/5
Todd Smith --> 4.5/5 (As much as I love Hansi this was a slightly more whacked out performance with phrasing that was less consistent and more weird)
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MooseyFate on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Best distorted tone:
Devin Townsend: 5/5
I loved this, sounded controlled AND powerful as hell.

Bumblefoot: 4/5
That was punk, I really dug it.

Best live performance:
Tarja Turunen: 5/5
I can hardly believe it's live. Flawless.

Janelle Monae: 4/5
Nice energy, vocally solid.

Most tonally versatile:
Hansi Kursch: 5/5
I honestly didn't know he could do all this.

Todd Smith: 5/5
This was a 4 until the distorted part and then WHOA
MooseyFate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B6 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 pm

Best distorted tone:
Devin Townsend: That was ridiculous. Unbelievably powerful, distorted but not bad-sounding, totally in control throughout. I should listen to this guy more, he's amazing. That sustained C5 at the end! 5/5
Bumblefoot: Meh, nothing particularly interesting. I don't even hear much distortion going on here, just a very sketchy singing style. 2.5/5

Most impressive live singing:
Tarja Turunen: Flawless. Strong but tasteful vibrato, agile and light but not whiny super-high. Super smooth, effortlessly controlled, great great great, <3. 4.5/5
Janelle Monae: I seriously didn't expect this: incredibly full of energy, powerful, controlled and smooth when that was required, and in places letting loose aggressive wails and screams that serve the song really well. Doing all this while jumping around is even more impressive. I loved it, and found myself singing along to the audience participation sections too. 4.5/5

Most tonally varied performance:
Hansi Kursch: One of my favourite vocal performances ever and one of my favourite songs too, so the following might seem overenthusiastic
Though this isn't the only performance in which Hansi uses a ton of tones, it is a standout. He sings with a mournful, gentle mid-range tone, harmonizes with creepy, deep lows, screams in anger with unparalleled power, sings some quite clean high scales both in the harmonies and in the lead, does soft, almost childlike super-light highs at the end... and all of this fits so perfectly with the song that I don't really know how to describe the necessary-ness of every note here. Not only the technique used is varied, it is used to convey a lot of different feelings, for a complex song. Amazing, 5/5
Todd Smith: The effects seem to play some role here, but the vocal performance is super varied. Extremely weird, cool stuff. Didn't make much sense to me, but whatever. 4.5/5
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Best distorted tone:
Devin Townsend: 5/5
Spot on.

Bumblefoot: 2,5
Surprisingly good singing, but no match for Townsend's performance.
Seems too clean for the category, too.

Best live performance:
Tarja Turunen: 4/5
Flawless singing, but a bit too restrained for me.

Janelle Monae: 4,5/5
Not as technical as Tarja, but more appealing to me nevertheless.
As a performance this seems better to me.
Pretty cool music, too.

Most tonally versatile:
Hansi Kursch: 5/5
Plenty of tonal variety; quite well-used, too.
Sounds pretty good at whatever he does.

Todd Smith: 4/5
Extremely varied, but relies on effects a lot .
Still very good.
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Danerage on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 am

Best distorted tone:
Devin Townsend: 3.5/5. Great distortion as expected from Devy. Nicely centered, clear and controlled.
Bumblefoot: 2/5. Not bad, but I don't consider this very distorted...

Tarja Turunen: 2/5. Dead-on vowels and flawlessly performed, just not very impressive.
Janelle Monae: 3/5. Nice energy, quite varied. Thought it was cool.

Hansi Kursch: 3/5. Quite a few different approaches in this.
Todd Smith: 1.5/5. Thought he sounded pretty much the same the whole time.
Danerage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:57 am

Distorted Tone:
Hevy Devy: Devin is simply one of the best gritty tenors out there, great control and he can flawlessly mix it in between his clean voice, you could pick any clip from his heavier material and it would been just as effective. 4.5/5
Bumblefoot: Eh, nothing too distorted, although he does have a bit of punkish grit I guess, wasn't too impressed. 2/5

Live Singing:
Tarja: Just typical Tarja, she does her usual thing well enough, put seems pretty similar to her usual peformances, although it's still a very good peformance. 3.5/5
Janelle: Fun, energetic, while still keeping power intact. Probably one of the better modern singers. 4/5

Tonal Variance:
Hansi: Sounded a bit like Tony Martin in the verses, while it sounded like he was imitating Barlow in the choruses (altho Schaffer's guitar work might just be making me think that). Quite a lot going on, the "one man choir" outro was a nice touch, overall one of the best I've heard in this category. 4.5/5
Todd: Jeez, somebody's been listening to Mr. Bungle haven't they? Laughing I thought he sounded a lot like early Patton throughout, while still giving in his own touches there, altho he seems to mostly rely on effects rather than the actual voice. 3/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Rune on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:55 am

Best distorted tone:

Devin Townsend - Pure distortion. 5/5

Bumblefoot - Nothing special, the typical "punk" singing imo. 2.5/5

Tarja Turunen - When I saw her here, I thought "someone really want to lose Laughing " but it's really nice and emotional. 4/5

Janelle Monae - That was really good. 4/5

Hansi Kurch - I was just like OMG. 5/5

Todd Smith - That was fucking weird. 4/5

Rune

View user profile http://www.lastfm.pl/user/czarniak14

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 am

Devin Townsend----------3,5/5. Huge and great sound. I kinda dislike the fact that is SO FUCKING LAYERED, as the true sound of his voice gets a little lost in there, but nice tone still and that sustained note in the end was thight.

Bumblefoot---------------3/5. Gotta love the punk raspy sound, but not really impressive or much more appealing than that. Devins wins on this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tarja Turunen--------------4,5/5. Well, it might not be really challenging or demanding, but it takes some true operatic training to nail that with such taste, great tone, great vibrato, phrasing and seamlessness. Props for this one.

Janelle Monáe-------------3,5/5. Funky, nice sounding, just a tiny little pitchy, maybe, but still really good and energetic. Tarja still wins here though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hansi Kursch--------------- 4,5/5. Brutal and incredible sounding distortion, light tenorish mid singing, heady harmonies, insane head voice grit then clean highs in the middle among rough screams, falsettos, etc, etc. Althrough not sounding like a lot different voices, many different techniques and styles. Versatility is there.

Todd Smith-----------------5/5. Holy shit. Many different tones and phrasings here. Weird song, weird video, weird and great performance. As it goes on and you though he can't pull a new sound/approach/technique, he comes up with something new. I'm really sorry for Hansi since he did great, but this just wins since it's more varied and original IMO.
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:16 am

I. Best Distorted Tone:

Devin Townsend: I knew you would slay everyone when I saw that you picked Devy. For some reason, I don't think this sample was the best choice for his distortion. The last note is wonderful. 3,5/5

Bumblefoot: Well, kinda simple punk "highs". Not that bad, but Devy was better. 2,5/5

II. Best Live Singing:

Tarja Turunen: This sounds quite good, but not that impressive in my sincere opinion 3/5

Janelle Monae: Although this kind of music isn't really my cup of tea, damn that was great! I even kept on listening to the tune when the passage you picked ended Very Happy . Really elastic and such a great voice. Unexpected win. 4/5

III. Most Tonally Varied Singing:

Hansi Kursch: A real lot of versatility, from deep growls to Halford-like screams, both soft and hard singing although not that versatile as Todd Smith, an enjoyable clip. 3,5/5

Todd Smith: The video freaked the hell out of me. Bizarre as fuck and a really lot of different voices, but the song is awful and there is too much effects in his voice in my opinion 3,5/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Best distorted tone:

Devin Townsend - Nice distortion 4/5
Bumblefoot - This is a typical punk rock way of singing, i don't see much distortion there 2/5

Tarja Turunen - nice for sure but not not that impressive 3/5
Janelle Monae - sounded like beyonce 3/5

Hansi Kurch - The fact that i actually liked the song helps, really nice ghostly singing on the verses, i really liked those highs sounds like a helpless soul trying to get some attetion from the graveeeee nooooo 4/5
Todd Smith - WTF was that shit? remind me of The Human Centipide 4/5
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top