Mark Knopfler

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 am

Voice type: Baritone
Total Range: C♯2-B4

Significant High Notes:

• B4 (''Walk Of Life'')
  • G♯4 (''Walk Of Life'')
  • F4 (''Postcards From Paraguay'')
  • E4 (''Wild West End'', ''Walk Of Life'', ''Sultans Of Swing" live Alchemy, ''Once Upon A Time In The West'')
  • E♭4 (''In The Gallery'', ''Lady Writer'')
  • D4 ("Money For Nothing", ''Southbound Again'', ''Wild West End'', ''Money For Nothing'', ''Romeo And Juliet'', ''Once Upon A Time In The West'', ''News'', ''Angel Of Mercy'', ''Single-Handed Sailor'')
  • C♯4 (''In The Gallery'', "Lady Writer", "Millionaire Blues", ''Walk Of Life'')
  • C4 (''Once Upon A Time In The West'', ''News'', 'Where Do You Think You're Going?'', ''Portobello Belle'', ''Single-Handed Sailor'')

Significant Low Notes:

• G2 (''One Upon A Time In The West'', ''News'', ''Follow Me Home'')
  • F♯2 (''Lions'', ''Cleaning My Gun'', ''So Far From The Clyde'', ''Calling Elvis'', ''Private Investigation'', ''Communiqué'', ''Portobello Belle'')
  • F2 (''Junkie Doll'')
  • E2("On Every Street", "The Bug", ''Lions'', ''Get Lucky'', "Calling Elvis", "Your Latest Trick" live in Sydney 1986)
  • D2 (''My Parties'')
  • C♯2 (''The Ballad Of Sonny Liston'')

Last edited by Popeye on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:52 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Mark Knopfler

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:28 am

That F4 ain't sung bro.
Also, I dunno if I would call that G♯1 red... Although I haven't listened to it in a while.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:31 am

KeithMoonIsKhan wrote:That F4 ain't sung bro.
Also, I dunno if I would call that G♯1 red... Although I haven't listened to it in a while.

you mean the F♯4? fixed.
and have a listen I can't remember the time stamp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euMvfLIii7o
but if you don't think it exists, i'll take it down no questions asked.

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:45 am

his voice isn't bad but it isnt really good. It just kinda suits his style though. Fuckin AWESOME guitar player though.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:52 am

The Great Heroins wrote:his voice isn't bad but it isnt really good. It just kinda suits his style though. Fuckin AWESOME guitar player though.

He was never really meant to be a great singer though, He was a guitar player first and a vocalist second. All things considered Dire Straits could have done a lot worse than him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:00 pm

He's like a poor mans pre 78 Dylan
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:39 pm

He doesn't really sing as much as he just talks.  And everyone should learn to sing well.  Your voice is an instrument that can be trained to sound more beautiful than most instruments.  Why would you want to play just one instrument when you could play that and accompany it with another (the voice)  Bigger chords, bigger sounds, and melody and harmony.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roehoer on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:39 am

There are some very nice F2's in "Junkie Doll"

Roehoer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:06 am

Roehoer wrote:There are some very nice F2's in "Junkie Doll"

Nice find, thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:12 am

Heroins wrote:He doesn't really sing as much as he just talks.  And everyone should learn to sing well.  Your voice is an instrument that can be trained to sound more beautiful than most instruments.  Why would you want to play just one instrument when you could play that and accompany it with another (the voice)  Bigger chords, bigger sounds, and melody and harmony.

Not the best singer, but suited the music. Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan also half-talked their way through songs. Since their songs are often narrative based it kinda worked. Maybe he should have learned to improve his singing technique, but I think Dire Straits needed a voice with character more than a voice with ability, and his voice definately had some character to it. I listen to straits more for the guitar breaks anyhow  Razz 
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:48 am

Aleksiempainen wrote:
Heroins wrote:He doesn't really sing as much as he just talks.  And everyone should learn to sing well.  Your voice is an instrument that can be trained to sound more beautiful than most instruments.  Why would you want to play just one instrument when you could play that and accompany it with another (the voice)  Bigger chords, bigger sounds, and melody and harmony.

Not the best singer, but suited the music. Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan also half-talked their way through songs. Since their songs are often narrative based it kinda worked. Maybe he should have learned to improve his singing technique, but I think Dire Straits needed a voice with character more than a voice with ability, and his voice definately had some character to it. I listen to straits more for the guitar breaks anyhow  Razz 

Me too. thought me how to confidentally play lead.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:24 am

[/quote]

Me too. thought me how to confidentally play lead.[/quote]

Yeah, I like his soloing style a lot. I think the solo in "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne was heavily influenced by Knopfler's solo in "Sultans of Swing". He has a really natural feel to his guitar playing. I've heard even now he still practices a lot.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:40 am

I agree that his voice suits the music, but I also only listen to about five Dire Straits' songs.  The rest I can't really get into because the vocals aren't very good.  Whistle 

Want my opinion?  His brother should have been the lead singer and not the backup.  Seriously, listen to his backup vocals in "Money for Nothing" he had such a cool rock n' roll voice.  You can especially hear him towards the end on the high notes in the background.  "Money for nothing!", "Chicks for free!"
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:42 am

Kepp wrote:I agree that his voice suits the music, but I also only listen to about five Dire Straits' songs.  The rest I can't really get into because the vocals aren't very good.  Whistle 

Want my opinion?  His brother should have been the lead singer and not the backup.  Seriously, listen to his backup vocals in "Money for Nothing" he had such a cool rock n' roll voice.  You can especially hear him towards the end on the high notes in the background.  "Money for nothing!", "Chicks for free!"

wasn't that Sting?
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:47 am

ICUP wrote:
Kepp wrote:I agree that his voice suits the music, but I also only listen to about five Dire Straits' songs.  The rest I can't really get into because the vocals aren't very good.  Whistle 

wasn't that Sting?

LOL, thinking back that actually makes a lot of since. I'd have to listen to the song again though. Either way, i've seen a performance at Knebworth where his brother David sang lead on a bluesy jam and it sounded absolutely great! As I said, he has a really cool rock n roll voice. I find his voice to be a lot better than Mark's.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun May 25, 2014 3:39 am

Voice type: Baritone
Total Range: C♯2-B4

Significant High Notes:

• B4 (''Walk Of Life'')
  • G♯4 (''Walk Of Life'')
  • F4 (''Postcards From Paraguay'')
  • E4 (''Wild West End'', ''Walk Of Life'', ''Sultans Of Swing" live Alchemy, ''Once Upon A Time In The West'')
  • E♭4 (''In The Gallery'', ''Lady Writer'')
  • D4 ("Money For Nothing", ''Southbound Again'', ''Wild West End'', ''Money For Nothing'', ''Romeo And Juliet'', ''Once Upon A Time In The West'', ''News'', ''Angel Of Mercy'', ''Single-Handed Sailor'')
  • C♯4 (''In The Gallery'', "Lady Writer", "Millionaire Blues", ''Walk Of Life'')
  • C4 (''Once Upon A Time In The West'', ''News'', 'Where Do You Think You're Going?'', ''Portobello Belle'', ''Single-Handed Sailor'')

Significant Low Notes:

• G2 (''One Upon A Time In The West'', ''News'', ''Follow Me Home'')
  • F♯2 (''Lions'', ''Cleaning My Gun'', ''So Far From The Clyde'', ''Calling Elvis'', ''Private Investigation'', ''Communiqué'', ''Portobello Belle'')
  • F2 (''Junkie Doll'')
  • E2("On Every Street", "The Bug", ''Lions'', ''Get Lucky'', "Calling Elvis", "Your Latest Trick" live in Sydney 1986)
  • D2 (''My Parties'')
  • C♯2 (''The Ballad Of Sonny Liston'')

The D5 is a non-sung ''Woo''... get rid of it?

Last edited by Starman on Tue May 27, 2014 5:33 am; edited 3 times in total
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Sun May 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Sure. The G♯1 is an exhale, though, and the studio version of the song has a C♯2 too.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun May 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Fixed  Thumb up 
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Mon May 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Probably oughta delete the F♯4 too. It's literally just a shout while speaking to the audience between songs; not a controlled note by any means.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon May 26, 2014 11:01 pm

Wanderlust wrote:Probably oughta delete the F♯4 too. It's literally just a shout while speaking to the audience between songs; not a controlled note by any means.

Apologies, I try to steer clear of those notes. I totally forgot that the live Sultans note was just a shouted ''Thank YOOOOOOOU''
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Tue May 27, 2014 5:20 am

No worries. Where's the F4 and E4 in "In the Gallery", though? I listened to it earlier and the highest I heard was a really brief E♭4.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Tue May 27, 2014 5:32 am

Wanderlust wrote:No worries. Where's the F4 and E4 in "In the Gallery", though? I listened to it earlier and the highest I heard was a really brief E♭4.

Ya, The stuff from Dire Straits first album wasn't notewatched properly (again, I take the blame from a previous incarnation. I just took the piss, again sorry), I'm going to thoroughly go through every album. For now i'll delete them.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:50 am

So...can we go ahead and update the OP to get rid of all those red/blue notes? Though I guess it'd be okay to keep the "Walk of Life" highs as blue.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:00 am

Martin updated it on the top of this page, though I'd say you can probably go above G2.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top