Stephen Pearcy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stephen Pearcy

Post  My Fairy King on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 am

Voice Type: Tenor
Vocal Range: E♭2-E5

Significant High Notes:
E5 ("Enough Is Enough")
E♭5 ("Back For More", "I'm Insane", "Tell The World", "You're In Trouble", "U Got It", "Sweet Cheater", "She Wants Money", "Lack Of Communication", "Don't Use Love", "Got Me On The Line", "Closer To My Heart", "You're A Good Lover", "Drive Me Crazy", "Looking For Love", "I Want To Love You Tonight", "Top Secret", "Chain Reaction", "Wanted Man", "You Should Know By Now")
D5 ("Back For More", "Enough Is Enough", "Diamond Time Again", "You're In Love", "Lay It Down", "Lack Of Communication", "In Your Direction", "Round And Round", "Sweet Cheater", "You're In Trouble", "No Surprise", "Chain Reaction", "Shame Shame Shame", "One Step Away", "Screamin' SOS", "Dancing With The Angels")
C♯5 ("Bottom Line", "City To City", "Walkin' The Dog", "Tell The World", "U Got It", "You Think You're Tough", "I Want A Woman", "I Want To Love You Tonight", "Wanted Man", "Way Cool Jr.", "You Should Know By Now")
C5 ("Back For More", "Dance", "U Got It")
B4 ("Steel River")

Significant Low Notes:
E♭2 ("Eat Me Up Alive")
F♯2 ("Eat Me Up Alive", "Lay It Down")
G♯2 ("Eat Me Up Alive")
A2 ("Lay It Down")
E3 ("Steel River")

Stephen Pearcy is the lead singer of the 80's metal band "Ratt"...

*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Last edited by I Don't Know on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:36 pm; edited 17 times in total
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stephen Pearcy

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:05 pm

i used to think this guy was Vince Neil if he was a pirate

i still kinda think that
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:49 pm

"Got Me On The Line" lows are spoken, not sung. By the way, I doubt those highs in "All Or Nothing" are actually Stephen. Desmond Child and Myriam Valle are credited for backing vocals on the Detonator album.

Either way, I highly doubt Stephen's doing the vocals. All Or Nothing Starting around 3:20

I thought "Give It All" sounded falsetto as well to be honest.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

stephen pearcy strain

Post  Clem on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Really hate his voice Banghead It's like God decided Alice Cooper was too skilled a singer, so he made Stephen Pearcy. He is the weak link in an otherwise solid band. Everything was so intensely strained and nasal.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:11 am

I disagree but i must admit that Infestation ( The last album released by Ratt ) is horrendous and Pearcy's voice is too raspy, while his voice used to be pretty solid... until the mid 90s, when his voice had degraded too much to my taste and he sounds like Alice Cooper at his worst...
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:11 am

i just think he sounds like Vince Neil from Mötley Crüe with a nutsack.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:08 am

L. Lurkex wrote:i just think he sounds like Vince Neil from Mötley Crüe with a nutsack.

Not really a fan of Vince either, but at least he had a few good screamed highs. Stephen Pearcy doesn't sound comfortable in any register to me. But the higher he goes, the worse it sounds.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:13 am

I Don't Know wrote:I disagree but i must admit that Infestation ( The last album released by Ratt ) is horrendous and Pearcy's voice is too raspy, while his voice used to be pretty solid... until the mid 90s, when his voice had degraded too much to my taste and he sounds like Alice Cooper at his worst...

Didn't that happen to Tate as well after Empire?
Toyman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:57 am

Toyman wrote:
I Don't Know wrote:I disagree but i must admit that Infestation ( The last album released by Ratt ) is horrendous and Pearcy's voice is too raspy, while his voice used to be pretty solid... until the mid 90s, when his voice had degraded too much to my taste and he sounds like Alice Cooper at his worst...

Didn't that happen to Tate as well after Empire?

Some of his studio stuff wasn't bad, but almost all recent live performances I've seen from Tate have not been good. I often think of Tate as a slightly lighter and brighter Warrel Dane. But Dane has faired a lot better over the years. His highs are actually sounding better than a few years ago. I always like seeing an older singer regaining some of their lost range Very Happy
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 am

Again, I'm certain, the highs in "All Or Nothing" are not Stephen. All Or Nothing (with timestamp)

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 pm

You are right! Juan Croucier did the back-up vocals!
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toyman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am

I Don't Know wrote:You are right! Juan Croucier did the back-up vocals!

Quick question...do you just want his stuff from Ratt, or the three other bands he sang for too? Those would be Arcade, Vertex, and Vicious Delite.
Toyman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 am

Well, i deem that Pearcy's thread is done, considering his vocal decline in the mid 90s ( the period when he joined many other bands like Arcade, Vertex and Vicious Delite ). I choose to analyze only Ratt's works and the first album release by "Arcade". I'm planning to make a thread on Bill Byford ( lead singer of the rock-band called "Saxon" ), on Leslie West ( singer of the bands "Mountain" and "West, Bruce and Laing" ) and ( but i do not yet know ) on Joan Jett!
Parrot
P.S.: I like this emoticon so much!
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Eh, you should probably at least get a sung low or two before finishing notewatching him. By the way, are you sure about the coloring on some of his higher notes?

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Yep. I'm sure, they're all 100% black! Thumb up
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Percy or Croucier?

Post  Clem on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 am

I'm struggling to believe that all the 5th octave notes on "Out of the Cellar" are Pearcy. I know Juan Croucier did quite a lot of backing vocals, and some of the highs don't really sound like Stephen. Pearcy sounds pretty strained around B4, and some of those billed high notes sound strong enough. Also, Stephen's technique was all just chest voice. It would be nearly impossible for a man to hit a G#5 just by pulling chest voice at all, never mind in the context of a phrase. I have a feeling that much of Stephen's listed highs could be Juan Croucier. At 2:23 the C#5 sounds pretty strained (he doesn't sound like he could much higher, anyway), but there's an F5 on "I'm Insane", from the same album, which sounds a lot more effortless.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:40 am

I share your skepticism since Fairy King put some highs that so obviously weren't Pearcy as I pointed out. Though I wouldn't necessarily go by him straining on lower pitches. There are examples of singers who strain on pitches and can drag their voice much higher. Dio being one example. I'd just listen to how much the voice sounds like Pearcy. Since Fairy King seems gone, I can take over this thread how Sandblasted did with Fairy's Wylde thread and make any edits necessary.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 am

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:I share your skepticism since Fairy King put some highs that so obviously weren't Pearcy as I pointed out. Though I wouldn't necessarily go by him straining on lower pitches. There are examples of singers who strain on pitches and can drag their voice much higher. Dio being one example. I'd just listen to how much the voice sounds like Pearcy. Since Fairy King seems gone, I can take over this thread how Sandblasted did with Fairy's Wylde thread and make any edits necessary.
Good Stuff Thumb up By the way, who is in charge of TRP 2.0 thesedays?
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:53 am

Aleksiempainen wrote:
Good Stuff Thumb up By the way, who is in charge of TRP 2.0 thesedays?
I have no idea. Laughing 

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:55 am

Mr Toddlington and Whackooyzero
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:20 am

Just listened to Detonator again recently, and while one of the things that stands out is that the album being co-written by Desmond Child makes it sound less like a Ratt album due to the hooks blatantly being his and the same type of hooks heard in many 80's Bon Jovi, Kiss, A;ice Cooper and Aerosmith songs. But what also stood out is how rough Pearcy's voice was on some notes. He was hitting the notes, but when he'd hit some notes, there would be a rough, scratchy sound which isn't the nicest experience when listening tothe album with headphones. It was like the recorder was trying to reject some notes.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:28 pm

As for the skepticism Aleksiempainen expressed over some of these notes, I checked the notes listed above E5, and the skepticism proved founded.

The G♯5 from I'm Insane turned out to only be an E♭5. I didn't hear anything particularly high in "Give It All", much less a G5, and the F♯5 in You Should Know By Now also sounds like just an E♭5 to me, and I wouldn't call it sung either, just seems like a shout of "Hey!" And I'm not sure why the G♯5 from All Shook Up was counted as sung either. It's just a scream, and really not what I'd call significant either. Seems like a weak squeal or really just a noise. Technically, it's probably his highest, but considering how weak and non-musical it is, I personally don't think it should be kept. Does anyone care if it's kept or not?

I'll go through the E5s next since that's the next note with not many pitches listed, and once I see how legit those are, I might go back and note-watch him from the start. One thing I've noticed is how frequently they have Juan Croucier singing along with Pearcy, except it's lower in the mix. I suspected this was to fill the vocals out a bit more and make them sound smoother. They also seem to try to smooth his voice out a bit with effects.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:05 pm

2:25 - 2:35 At least sung F♯2 but possibly lower.
EDIT: http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Eat+Me+Up+Alive/31HvsF?src=5
Sounds like it gets down to E♭2 in this higher quality clip.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top