Tommy Shaw

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Yea but let's be honest in that scenario. "You must be able to hit the high note from Lady to get in the band." If Tommy came in there and hit it falsetto unless it was astoundingly good I think they would have told them he missed the point. Also, I really have a fucked up opinion as far as falsetto range goes. I'll often say stuff like "oh such and such extremely high fifth octave note is no challenge if its falsetto" but that is incredibly bias because I am just now starting to realize those notes are still hard to hit for most people even in falsetto. I am just lucky.




At 3:41 Tommy Shaw clearly hits the high harmony full voice. However, sometimes he also hits the note falsetto. He always takes the beginning of the line full voice though. Example: LADYY...OF THE MORRNIN-ing. The last syllable of the line in the chorus is the note I refer to. "ing" and lon"ely"


BY THE WAY: James y young sounds pretty shitty on a lot of the harmonies he takes in this video. He kinda throws the harmony off honestly.
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 1:24 pm

I am getting a massive G5 vibe at 5:37



WOAH and Connor listen to the amazing harmony solos at 6:15 and on!
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sat May 25, 2013 2:05 pm

I once hit the C5 from "Somebody To Love" by Queen, and my friends hailed me for it. I falsettoed it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. I agree with Abacus, in the fact that I doubt Styx forced Shaw to sing a full G5. If he could sing the "Lady, of the moooorNIIIING!" G5, whether it was falsetto or not, they would have let him in. Had he not been able to hit it in falsetto or full voice then they wouldn't have let him in. Sounding good is the important. It sounds good, but I'm not sure if it's black or not. And seriously, why do you care? He has tons of other GREAT G5s, so why does that ONE matter so much? And it doesn't expand his range, so, again, why does it matter?

Anyway, if its black, does that mean DeYoung has a black G5 from the original version?
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Hopscotch on Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 pm

The Great Heroins wrote:Yea but let's be honest in that scenario. "You must be able to hit the high note from Lady to get in the band." If Tommy came in there and hit it falsetto unless it was astoundingly good I think they would have told them he missed the point. Also, I really have a fucked up opinion as far as falsetto range goes. I'll often say stuff like "oh such and such extremely high fifth octave note is no challenge if its falsetto" but that is incredibly bias because I am just now starting to realize those notes are still hard to hit for most people even in falsetto. I am just lucky.
What the hell kind of definition of "falsetto" are you going off of when you say stuff like this? If you're talking about pure, soft falsettone, then that's one thing - even if it were a great falsettone, it would probably sound out of place in that context. But if a singer can produce strong, controlled high notes in head voice yet can't blend those notes with the rest of their range, we still count it as falsetto, or blue. If it's all blended together to function as one unit of the voice, instead of a voice broken up into different registers, we count it as full, or black. So the fact that he could sing the G5s in "Lady" as base information doesn't tell us anything about how tonally consistent they were with the rest of his range. I mean hell, I can sing G5s on their own, but you asked me to do a scale from say C4-G5, I would start to run into trouble around the mid/upper fourth octave and you'd hear me switch to head voice pretty noticeably. Do you see now how your logic doesn't work?

We judge colours based on how the notes sound, not on whether or not Styx let him into the band because of them.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Abacus wrote:
The Great Heroins wrote:Yea but let's be honest in that scenario. "You must be able to hit the high note from Lady to get in the band." If Tommy came in there and hit it falsetto unless it was astoundingly good I think they would have told them he missed the point. Also, I really have a fucked up opinion as far as falsetto range goes. I'll often say stuff like "oh such and such extremely high fifth octave note is no challenge if its falsetto" but that is incredibly bias because I am just now starting to realize those notes are still hard to hit for most people even in falsetto. I am just lucky.
What the hell kind of definition of "falsetto" are you going off of when you say stuff like this? If you're talking about pure, soft falsettone, then that's one thing - even if it were a great falsettone, it would probably sound out of place in that context. But if a singer can produce strong, controlled high notes in head voice yet can't blend those notes with the rest of their range, we still count it as falsetto, or blue. If it's all blended together to function as one unit of the voice, instead of a voice broken up into different registers, we count it as full, or black. So the fact that he could sing the G5s in "Lady" as base information doesn't tell us anything about how tonally consistent they were with the rest of his range. I mean hell, I can sing G5s on their own, but you asked me to do a scale from say C4-G5, I would start to run into trouble around the mid/upper fourth octave and you'd hear me switch to head voice pretty noticeably. Do you see now how your logic doesn't work?

We judge colours based on how the notes sound, not on whether or not Styx let him into the band because of them.

I just don't understand what you mean I am sorry I guess I am just missing something :/ The only thing I know for sure is that the high notes from Lady are full sounding to me. It is probably a head voice but I am fairly certain Tommy Shaw's head voice can be projected and blended well throughout all the fourth octave and up to G5 in the fifth.
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Hopscotch on Sat May 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Well of course they're head voice...anything as high as G5 in mixed voice, if at all achievable for a male, would be screamy and strained as hell. But you're right in going by the logic that they should be counted as full because they sound full and consistent with his notes in the fourth and lower fifth octave. I'm just pointing out the holes in the argument that "they must be full because he wouldn't have gotten into the band if they were falsetto". Rolling Eyes
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Abacus wrote:Well of course they're head voice...anything as high as G5 in mixed voice, if at all achievable for a male, would be screamy and strained as hell. But you're right in going by the logic that they should be counted as full because they sound full and consistent with his notes in the fourth and lower fifth octave. I'm just pointing out the holes in the argument that "they must be full because he wouldn't have gotten into the band if they were falsetto". Rolling Eyes

That logic makes sense only if you had seen the interview I had seen where he described hitting the high note as. "I went in there and I fucking screamed that high note out." How does one train his head voice to hit those fifth octave notes to sound BLACK xD?
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Hopscotch on Sat May 25, 2013 2:49 pm

I mean, I've been able to scream up to A5 or so in head voice for almost four years now, but that doesn't mean that I've always been able to blend it with the rest of my range. Look at someone like Matt Bellamy, for another example: he can hit strong mid/upper fifth octave notes in head voice, but that doesn't mean they're tonally consistent with his fourth octave.

Again, I'm not saying that Shaw's G5s aren't black, but I think you're making too many assumptions just based off of something he said in an interview.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 2:52 pm

I might be making assumptions but you gotta remember man I KNOW Tommy Shaw.. I've been listening to him sing and talk since I was a small child. The Grand Illusion was the first album I was ever given when I was like 9-years-old and you have to understand that when Tommy Shaw talks about a note that he had to fucking scream to hit and i've heard the note a thousand times and it sounds as full as my mother I have no choice but to make the assumption that yes, it is not falsetto. Laughing
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Hopscotch on Sat May 25, 2013 2:59 pm

Well hey, some singers you can surprise you sometimes, even when you think you know them well. I'm just saying that we should judge the note based on the criteria that we use to judge everyone else's notes, not off the way he described it in an interview.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Abacus wrote:Well hey, some singers you can surprise you sometimes, even when you think you know them well. I'm just saying that we should judge the note based on the criteria that we use to judge everyone else's notes, not off the way he described it in an interview.


Since you are the admin and you know how the site works I agree with everything you say as long as it isn't something so blatantly wrong that even I know for sure it is. I understand the fact that though I personally can come to the conclusion that the note is full based of what I heard Tommy Shaw said, that is not sufficient enough for the whole sites profile because that basically is solely my opinion and not the site's as a whole.
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Hopscotch on Sat May 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Close enough.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Abacus wrote:Close enough.


Freak
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sat May 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Oh Heroins... Why?...
And you were making such good progress towards becoming a good poster...
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 3:37 pm

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:Oh Heroins... Why?...
And you were making such good progress towards becoming a good poster...


dammit back to the starting line!! If it helps me any I really wasn't trying to say anything bad I was really trying to add to the thread Sad I guess that makes it worse though because at least when I was a terrible poster I was trying to be an idiot.
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sat May 25, 2013 3:51 pm



Last edited by KeithMoonIsGod on Sat May 25, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 4:08 pm

I dont get it? I do like minecraft though
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sat May 25, 2013 4:10 pm

I was trying to have a moment of relation with you. Sad
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 4:25 pm

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:I was trying to have a moment of relation with you. Sad


Oh why thanks! I saw the correct picture now. For some reason a minecraft server picture came up for me first glance. That males much more sense. By the way, I am under eighteen so be careful
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sat May 25, 2013 5:26 pm

What a Face

Anyway, who wants to discuss Shaw's best vocal performances? king
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 6:06 pm

I nominate renegade!
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  inhibitions on Sat May 25, 2013 10:20 pm


I'm picking up on an E2 right around 4:30 (?) on the third "America". They're in the harmony I do believe.
It's probably not him, but, if it is, than we've got another low note?
There's also B2s in this song, and cool sounding E3s towards the end.

Also, in "Come Sail Away", there's a G3 and a D3

Heroins, I totally agree with Renegade

avatar
inhibitions

Posts : 1921
Join date : 2013-01-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  My Fairy King on Sat May 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Renegade live 1983 is the best performance by him for me. I cannot forget that line around G5 area! Rock
avatar
My Fairy King

Posts : 1321
Join date : 2013-03-03
Age : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 25, 2013 11:56 pm

It was pretty awesome wasn't it?
avatar
Young Heroins

Posts : 4186
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sun May 26, 2013 6:07 am

inhibitions: "Suite Madam Blue" doesn't feature Tommy Shaw
FreddieMercury: What about his studio performances? For the vocal performances lists, we do a top 10 studio performance and top 5 live performances. "Renegade" live in 1983 is definitely on of his best live performances.
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommy Shaw

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum