View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chuck Billy

Post  Zedd Squared on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Voice type: Dog Faced God Baritone
Sung range: G1-A5
Total range: F♯1-A5

Significant high notes:

• A5 ("Burnt Offerings")
  • G♯5 ("First Strike is Deadly", "The Burning Times", "The Haunting" re-recorded, "The Preacher" re-recorded)
  • G5 ("First Strike is Deadly" re-recorded, "Over the Wall")
  • F♯5 ("Apocalyptic City", "Burnt Offerings", "C.O.T.L.O.D.", "First Strike is Deadly", "Raging Waters", "The Haunting")
  • F5 ("Do or Die", "The Haunting")
  • E5 ("Do or Die", "Eerie Inhabitants", "First Strike is Deadly", "Over the Wall", "Seven Days in May", "The New Order", "The Preacher", "Trial by Fire")
  • E♭5 ("Agony", "The Preacher")
  • D5 ("Deadline", "Seven Days in May", "No One Can Tell You")
  • C♯5 ("As the Seasons Grey", "Eyes of Wrath", "Hail Mary", "Troubled Dreams")
  • C5 ("New Eyes of Old", "Nobody's Fault")
  • B4 ("Nobody's Fault", "Nostrovia")
  • B♭4 ("As the Seasons Grey", "Malpractice")
  • A4 ("A Day of Reckoning", "Alone in the Dark", "Disciples of the Watch", "Falling Fast", "Let Go of My World", "Malpractice", "One Man's Fate", "The Sermon")
  • G♯4 ("A Day of Reckoning", "All I Could Bleed", "As the Seasons Grey", "Cold Embrace", "Deadline", "Eerie Inhabitants", "Electric Crown", "Face in the Sky", "Love to Hate", "Man Kills Mankind", "Raging Waters", "Return to Serenity", "Seven Days in May", "The New Order", "The Sermon", "Trail of Tears", "Troubled Dreams")
  • G4 ("A Day of Reckoning", "Absence of Light", "Apocalyptic City", "Burnt Offerings", "C.O.T.L.O.D.", "Disciples of the Watch", "Do or Die", "Down for Life", "Eerie Inhabitants", "Into the Pit", "One Man's Fate", "Over the Wall", "Shades of War", "Souls of Black", "The Ballad", "The Haunting", "The Legacy", "The New Order", "The Preacher", "Trial by Fire")
  • F♯4 ("Agony", "Can't Kill the Devil", "Cold Embrace", "Dark Roots of Earth", "Disciples of the Watch", "D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)", "First Strike is Deadly", "Let Go of My World", "Native Blood", "Return to Serenity", "So Many Lies", "The Ritual")
  • F4 ("Burnt Offerings", "Cold Embrace", "Down for Life", "Electric Crown", "Eyes of Wrath", "No One Can Tell You", "Raging Waters", "The Ritual")

Significant low notes:

• C♯3 ("As the Seasons Grey", "Down for Life", "John Doe", "Let Go of My World", "So Many Lies", "Trail of Tears", "Troubled Dreams")
  • B2 ("The Legacy")
  • B♭2 ("Cold Embrace", "Dark Roots of Earth")
  • A2 ("The Legacy")
  • G♯2 ("The Ritual")
  • F♯2 ("John Doe", "Let Go of My World", "True Believer")
  • E2 ("3 Days in Darkness", "P.C.", "True Believer")
  • D2 ("No One Can Tell You", "Shades of War", "Ten Thousand Thrones", "The Burning Times")
  • C♯2 ("Allegiance", "Distorted Lives", "Eyes of Wrath", "Hail Mary", "John Doe", "Jun Jun", "Legions (In Hiding)", "Low", "Murky Waters", "Native Blood", "P.C.", "Riding the Snake", "Throne of Thorns")
  • B1 ("Demonic Refusal", "Distorted Lives", "Murky Waters", "Throne of Thorns")
  • B♭1 ("Hatreds Rise")
  • A1 ("New Eyes of Old")
  • G1 ("Murky Waters")
  • F♯1 ("Hatreds Rise")

Badass thrash singer from Testament. He's more versatile than a lot of his contemporaries with the ability to go from bassy low notes to strong 4th octave singing to high screams and death growls amongst other things. I think he'll prove an interesting note watching target.
*Underlines mark notes in backing vocals.
*Green marks harsh distorted notes.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.

Last edited by Zedd Squared on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:01 am; edited 26 times in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chuck Billy

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:46 am

Good to see a thread started for him, I've always been a huge Testament fan. A lot of high screams on their early stuff, though it seems like you checked a number of the songs off The Legacy. But I think "The Haunting" has high screams for example. Actually haven't listened to them in a while, but I suspect there might be some low stuff in their ballads depending on where you're starting his lows at. One of my favorite vocals from him is "Face In The Sky", you can really hear how he got stronger as a vocalist compared to their debut The Legacy, even though their debut is my favorite from them. Really nice guy as well. Met him in 2008 when they did the Metal Masters tour.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick31 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:35 pm

Great idea to watch this guy!
Maverick31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:18 pm

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:Good to see a thread started for him, I've always been a huge Testament fan. A lot of high screams on their early stuff, though it seems like you checked a number of the songs off The Legacy. But I think "The Haunting" has high screams for example. Actually haven't listened to them in a while, but I suspect there might be some low stuff in their ballads depending on where you're starting his lows at. One of my favorite vocals from him is "Face In The Sky", you can really hear how he got stronger as a vocalist compared to their debut The Legacy, even though their debut is my favorite from them. Really nice guy as well. Met him in 2008 when they did the Metal Masters tour.
Yeah I'm not entirely sure where to start the lows but obviously higher than E2. I just put this up because I had noticed these notes in passing and thought it would be good to have a page for him. Definitely planning on doing a more thorough note watching in a bit.

Maybe start the lows at A2? Might be too high but he has a number of good notes in that area as I recall.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:26 pm

I think starting his lows at A2 would be fine, especially if he has a lot of good notes around there. Anywhere in that G2-A2 range seems like a fair starting point.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkMacek on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:11 am

I believe he has a C#2 scream/growl/thing in DNR

DarkMacek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  colin040 on Fri May 03, 2013 8:27 pm

Really like his performence on Testament's debut where he'd wail with absolutely power. His growls have always been mediocre though.
colin040

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  derpdederp91 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:00 am

Never thought the growling was very good but I definitely love this guy's singing on albums like "The Ritual" and "The Legacy" ... Lots of solid vocal melodies and memorable ones too

derpdederp91

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkMacek on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:51 am

There are some really high notes in First Strike is Deadly

DarkMacek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:36 pm

The "Demonic" album has quite a few really low notes, it gets a bit of a bad rep altho IMHO it's a fine album, I prefer to even some of their thrash stuff.

Spoiler:

1:47 - C2s? (Not sure if they as count sung/melodic either, kind of sounds like a parlando to me)

:29 - :45 Some D2s in the background I think, there's also a screamed G♯5(?) at 2:06

:59 - C♯2s (don't know if these would count as sung/melodic either)

:26 Jesus Shocked C♯2 sliding down to B1 and possibly lower?

There's some more in the other songs too ("John Doe" has a low harmony going thorough most of it, and "Hatreds Rise" has a really low spoken part around :54, kickin' track too albeit a little short) but I don't really have the time/patience to pitch them right now, plus, this post is pretty long as is. Yeah! 
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Goddamn what a low register Chuck has! Thanks for the notes. Demonic Refusal sounds closer to B1 to me but your pitchings were solid on the rest.

John Doe was kind of tricky to pitch but I hear some very strong F♯2s for sure, probably some C♯2s as well but they're more faint. Also, Hatreds Rise was INSANE! Sounded almost like Anselmo! Definite B♭1s and I think I hear him hit a solid note in the F♯1 (!) area on the last word "can stop HIM" at 1:10 here.

You guys hear this too?

Yeah I definitely need to more thoroughly note watch Chuck since he's possibly my favorite thrash singer but goddamn just too many singers need more note watching! Sweating

Last edited by Whackooyzero on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Hah.. I thought someone got mad and changed "Chuck Berry"'s page as a joke.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:28 pm

I actually did at first too and this is my thread!Yeah! 
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Hahahah, that is truly funny.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:08 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVKZoBX8L6g#t=03m2s
A G♯5 from "First Strike Is Deadly".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig14jYmk5v4#t=03m19s
A lengthy G5 from the new recording of "First Strike Is Deadly".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMvJDECjXQ#t=04m15s
I'm not a 100% sure, but this sounds like a B♭5. Surprised 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDMGVLr05hM#t=03m55s
A G♯5 from the new version of "The Haunting".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03RF7Cpm5s#t=03m36s
And finally, G♯5's from the new recording of "The Preacher".

Back to top Go down

Post  Kewis on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:43 am

Eerie Inhabitants has an Eb5

1:27 C#5?
The chorus seems to have some G4s too.

What are his highest notes here?
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spydr on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:37 pm

"New Eyes of Old" from Demonic had a C5 (or maybe C#5) in it.

Spydr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kewis on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:51 pm

A really deep sounding growl at around :20, harmonies at :42 and 1:30 topping at G#4 I believe, as well low backing vox at 2:58 and a spoken low note (no pun intended) at 3:24

Also this guy is definitely one of my favorite thrash singers, such a cool tone.
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kewis on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:30 am

Sick cover. Lows at 1:40 and some upper 4th octave singing throught.
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top