Michael Jackson

Post  Guest on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 am

Voice type: High tenor
Sung range: F♯2-C♯6
Total range: F2-E♭6

Significant high notes:

E♭6 ("Man in the Mirror" live)
C♯6 ("Smooth Criminal")
C6 ("Lovely One", "Blame It on the Boogie", "All Night Dancin'", "Come Together")
B5 ("Black or White")
B♭5 ("Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", "Come Together", "Jam", "Heartbreaker", "Ghost", "Another Part of Me", "Burn This Disco Out", "State of Shock")
A5 ("Scream", "Workin' Day and Night", "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)", "Get on the Floor", "Destiny", "Everybody", "Body")
G♯5 ("Dirty Diana")
G5 ("Dirty Diana", "I'll Be There" live)
F♯5 ("That's What You Get (For Being Polite)", "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough")
F5 ("Enjoy Yourself", "Dirty Diana" live)
E5 ("Smooth Criminal", "All in Your Name", "Speed Demon", "Destiny", "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)", "Keep on Dancing", "Ease on Down the Road")
E♭5 ("Will You Be There", "Earth Song", "I Can't Help It", "Lovely One", "Fly Away", "You Were Made Especially for Me", "All I Do Is Think About You", "Butterflies", "Liberian Girl", "Music's Takin' Over", "Think Happy", "Eaten Alive", "Your Ways", "Give It Up", Vocal warm-up)
D5 ("In the Closet", "Dirty Diana", "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", "Things I Do for You", "We've Got Forever", "Heaven Can Wait", "Get on the Floor", "Dear Michael", "Cinderella Love Story", "I'll Come Home to You", "Tabloid Junkie", "Sunset Drier", "Privacy", "Moving Violation", "Human Nature", "Call of the Wild", "All in Your Name", "The Explosion", "Jump for Joy", "Destiny", "All Night Dancin'", "Your Ways", "Save Me", "Good Times", "Show You the Way to Go", "Living Together", "Style of Life", "Walk Right Now", "Trouble", "Xspace", "Hot Street", "Nite Line")
C♯5 ("Earth Song", "Is It Scary", "Off the Wall", "She's Out of My Life", "The Girl Is Mine", "Workin' Day and Night", "Thriller", "We're Almost There", "Body Language", "Say Say Say", "Beat It", "We're Almost There", "Liberian Girl", "Billie Jean", "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", "Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Girlfriend", "Baby Be Mine", "Cheater", "Burn This Disco Out", "Bless His Soul", "Goin' Places", "Can You Feel It", "Different Kind of Lady", "On the Line")
C5 ("You Are Not Alone", "The Lady in My Life", "There Must Be More to Life Than This", "Just a Little Bit of You", "Blood on the Dancefloor", "Blame It on the Boogie", "They Don't Really Care About Us", "Who Is It", "Streetwalker", "Bad", "Breezy", "Call of the Wild", "Get on the Wall", "Remember the Time", "Do What You Wanna", "Dapper-Dan", "Man in the Mirror", "HIstory", "The Way You Make Me Feel, "Come Together", "Heaven Can Wait", "You Rock My World", "Ghost", "Honey Love", "Take Me Back", "Through Thick and Thin", "All Night Dancin'", "Show You the Way to Go", "Strenght of One Man", "Give It Up", "Carousel", "Everybody", "On the Line", "Whatzupwitu")

Significant low notes:

F2 (Vocal warm-up)
F♯2 (Vocal warm-up)
G♯2 ("Dangerous")
A2 ("Money", "Monkey Business", "Who Is It" live)
B♭2 ("Space Dance")
C3 ("Break of Dawn", "The Lost Children", "Someone Put Your Hand Out", "Blood on the Dance Floor")

*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Pre-pubescent range:

Starman wrote:

Voice Type: Boy Soprano (Later High Tenor)
Vocal Range: F3-C7

Significant High Notes:

• C7 (''I'll Bet You'')
  • C♯6 (''Goin' Back To Indiana'')
  • B5 (''La-La Means I Love You'', ''The Young Folks'', ''It's Great To Be Here'')
  • B♭5 (''Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah'', ''You Ain't Giving Me What I Want (So I'm Taking it All Back)'', ''Don't Let Your Baby Catch You'', ''A Fool For You'', ''Goin' Back To Indiana'', ''How Funky Is Your Chicken'', ''Jamie'', ''To Know'', ''Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day'', ''You Made Me What I Am'')
  • A5 (''Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah'', ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''Twenty Five Miles'', ''Listen I'll Tell You How'', ''Don't Let Your Baby Catch You'', ''Lavender Blue'', ''A Fool For You'', ''Don't Know Why I Love You'',  ''Never Had A Dream Come True'', ''True Love Can Be Beautiful'', ''The Young Folks'', ''Everybody Is A Star'', ''Jamie'', ''Sugar Daddy'', ''Santa Claus Is Coming To Town'', ''Frosty The Snowman'', ''Feelin' Alright'', ''To Know'', ''Everybody's Somebody's Fool'', ''Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day'')
  • G♯5 (''ABC'', ''I Want You Back'', ''Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah'', ''Born To Love You'', ''Reach Out, I'll Be There'', ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''Give Me Half A Chance'', ''Twenty Five Miles'', ''You Ain't Giving Me What I Want (So I'm Taking it All Back)'', ''Listen I'll Tell You How'', ''Honey Chile'', ''Rockin' Robin'', ''Goin' Back To Indiana'', ''One More Chance'',  ''Never Had A Dream Come True'', ''I'll Bet You'', ''Mama's Pearl'', ''Petals'', ''Just A Little Misunderstanding'', ''Maybe Tomorrow'', ''Got To Be There'', ''Don't Want To See Tomorrow'')
  • G5 (''ABC'', ''I Want You Back'', ''Who's Lovin' You'', ''Chained'', ''Stand!'', ''Reach Out, I'll Be There'', ''Oh, I've Been Blessed'', ''I Was Made To Love Her'', ''Don't Let Your Baby Catch You'', ''A Fool For You'', ''Money Honey'', ''The Love You Save'', ''One More Chance'', ''(Come 'round Here) I'm The One You Need'', ''Never Had A Dream Come True'', ''True Love Can Be Beautiful'', ''Can I See You In The Morning'', ''Mama's Pearl'', ''Reach In'', ''Darling Dear'', ''Ask The Lonely'', ''Never Can Say Goodbye'', ''One Day I'll Marry You'', ''Santa Claus Is Coming To Town'', ''Up On The House Top'', ''Frosty The Snowman'', ''The Wall'', ''My Little Baby'', ''Feelin' Alright'', ''I Wanna Be Where You Are'', ''To Know'', ''My Girl'', ''E-Ne-Me-Ne-Mi-Ne-Moe'', ''I Can Only Give You Love'', ''Maria (You Were The Only One)'', ''You've Got A Friend'', ''Greatest Show On Earth'', ''We've Got A Good Thing Going'', ''Everybody's Somebody's Fool'')
  • F♯5 (''Nobody'', ''Standing In The Shadows Of Love'', ''Chained'', ''Reach Out, I'll Be There'', ''I Want You Back'', ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''Give Me Half A Chance'', ''Don't Let Your Baby Catch You'', ''Lavender Blue'', ''A Fool For You'', ''Money Honey'', ''The Love You Save'', ''One More Chance'', ''2-4-6-8'', ''Don't Know Why I Love You'', ''Never Had A Dream Come True'', ''Ready Or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide From Love)'', ''Oh How Happy'', ''Never Can Say Goodbye'', ''Jamie'', ''Just A Little Misunderstanding'', ''Sugar Daddy'', ''Someday At Christmas'', ''Maybe Tomorrow'', ''The Wall'', ''My Little Baby'', ''Feelin' Alright'', ''Ain't No Sunshine'', ''I Wanna Be Where You Are'', ''In Our Small Way'', ''Wings Of My Love'', ''Maria (You Were The Only One)'', ''What Goes Around Comes Around'', ''Corner Of The Sky'')
  • F5 (''ABC'', ''I Want You Back'', ''Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah'', ''Nobody'', ''You've Changed'', ''Chained'', ''Stand!'', ''Born To Love You'', ''Reach Out, I'll Be There'', ''Oh, I've Been Blessed'', I'm Your Sunny One (He's My Sunny Boy), ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''You Can't Hurry Love'', ''That's What Love Is Made Of'', ''Twenty Five Miles'', ''You Ain't Giving Me What I Want (So I'm Taking it All Back)'', ''Listen I'll Tell You How'', ''Honey Chile'', ''Lavender Blue'', ''Rockin' Robin'', ''Goin' Back To Indiana'', ''Never Had A Dream Come True'', ''I'll Bet You'', ''The Young Folks'', ''I'll Be There'', ''Can I See You In The Morning'', ''How Funky Is Your Chicken'', ''Mama's Pearl'', ''Reach In'', ''The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage'', ''Darling Dear'', ''Ask The Lonely'', ''One Day I'll Marry You'', ''Petals'', ''Sugar Daddy'', ''Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas'', ''The Little Drummer Boy'', ''I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus'', ''Little Christmas Tree'', ''Maybe Tomorrow'', ''(We've Got) Blue Skies'', ''My Little Baby'', ''It's Great To Be Here'', ''I Will Find A Way'', ''I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore'', ''Skywriter'', ''To Know'', ''Doctor My Eyes'', ''My Girl'', ''Girl Don't Take Your Love From Me'', ''Little Bitty Pretty One'', ''E-Ne-Me-Ne-Mi-Ne-Moe'', ''If I Have To Move A Mountain'', ''In Our Small Way'', ''Don't Want To See Tomorrow'', ''Love Song'', ''Wings Of My Love'', ''Hallelujah Day'', ''Maria (You Were The Only One)'', ''Love Is Here And Now You're Gone'', ''Greatest Show On Earth'', ''Everybody's Somebody's Fool'', ''What Goes Around Comes Around'', ''Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day'', ''All The Things You Are'', ''Too Young'', ''Doggin' Around'', ''You Made Me What I Am'')
  • E5 (''Who's Lovin' You'', ''Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah'', ''Nobody'', ''Can You Remember'', ''Stand In The Shadows Of Love'', ''Chained'', ''Reach Out, I'll Be There'', ''To Sir With Love'', ''Give Me Half A Chance'', ''That's What Love Is Made Of'', ''Twenty Five Miles'', ''The Love You Save'', ''Goin' Back To Indiana'', ''2-4-6-8'', ''(Come 'round Here) I'm The One You Need'', ''Don't Know Why I Love You'', ''Ready Or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide From Love)'', ''Ask The Lonely'', ''Never Can Say Goodbye'', ''Petals'', ''Jamie'', ''Just A Little Misunderstanding'', ''Santa Claus Is Coming To Town'', ''Up On The House Top'', ''Frosty The Snowman'', ''Give Love On A Christmas Day'', ''Little Christmas Tree'', ''The Wall'', ''(We've Got) Blue Skies'', ''My Little Baby'', ''Just Because I Love You'', ''Ain't No Sunshine'', ''I Wanna Be Where You Are'', ''My Girl'', ''If I Have To Move A Mountain'', ''I Can Only Give You Love'', ''Love Is Here And Now You're Gone'', ''You've Got A Friend'', ''People Make The World Go 'round'', ''We've Got A Good Thing Going'', ''Everybody's Somebody's Fool'', ''What Goes Around Comes Around'', ''Up Again'', ''Happy'', ''Euphoria'', ''Corner Of The Sky'', ''Uppermost'')
  • E♭5 (''ABC'', ''I Want You Back'', ''Who's Lovin' You'', ''Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah'', ''Nobody'', ''You've Changed'', ''Stand!'', ''Reach Out, i'll Be There'', ''To Sir With Love'', I'm Your Sunny One (He's My Sunny Boy), ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''You Can't Hurry Love'', ''You Ain't Giving Me What I Want (So I'm Taking it All Back)'', ''Listen I'll Tell You How'', ''Lavender Blue'', ''A Fool For You'', ''Money Honey'', ''Rockin' Robin'', ''One More Chance'', ''True Love Can Be Beautiful'', ''The Young Folks'', ''Oh How Happy'', ''How Funky Is Your Chicken'', ''Everybody Is A Star'', ''Sugar Daddy'', ''The Christmas Song'', ''The Little Drummer Boy'', ''I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus'', ''Maybe Tomorrow'', ''Ain't No Sunshine'', ''I Wanna Be Where You Are'', ''Got To Be There'', ''Girl Don't Take Your Love From Me'', ''E-Ne-Me-Ne-Mi-Ne-Moe'', ''In Our Small Way'', ''Don't Want To See Tomorrow'', ''Children Of The Light'', ''Wings Of My Love'', ''Maria (You Were The Only One)'', ''Greatest Show On Earth'', ''The Boogie Man'', ''We've Got A Good Thing Going'', ''Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day'', ''All The Things You Are'', ''Too Young'', ''Morning Glow'')
  • D5 (''Who's Lovin' You'', ''Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah'', ''Nobody'', ''Can You Remember'', ''Standing In The Shadows Of Love'', ''Chained'', ''Reach Out, I'll Be There'', ''To Sir With Love'', ''Oh, I've Been Blessed'', ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''You Can't Hurry Love'', ''That's What Love Is Made Of'', ''Twenty Five Miles'',  ''I Was Made To Love Her'', ''I Hear A Symphony'', ''You Ain't Giving Me What I Want (So I'm Taking it All Back)'', ''Honey Chile'', ''Don't Let Your Baby Catch You'', ''Money Honey'', ''The Love You Save'', ''Rockin' Robin'', ''Goin' Back To Indiana'', ''2-4-6-8'', ''Don't Know Why I Love You'', ''True Love Can Be Beautiful'', ''I'll Be There'', ''Can I See You In The Morning'', ''Mama's Pearl'', ''Darling Dear'', ''Ask The Lonely'', ''Never Can Say Goodbye'', ''One Day I'll Marry You'', ''Petals'', ''Jamie'', ''Sugar Daddy'', ''Superstition'' (live in Japan 1973), ''Papa Was A Rolling Stone'' (live in Japan 1973), ''Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas'', ''Santa Claus Is Coming To Town'', ''The Christmas Song'', ''Up On The House Top'', ''Frosty The Snowman'', ''Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year'', ''Give Love On A Christmas Day'', ''Someday At Christmas'', ''Little Christmas Tree'', ''Maybe Tomorrow'', ''She's Good'', ''The Wall'', ''(We've Got) Blue Skies'', ''My Little Baby'', ''It's Great To Be Here'', ''I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore'', ''Just Because I Love You'', ''I Wanna Be Where You Are'', ''Got To Be There'', ''Ben'', ''Johnny Raven'', ''Skywriter'', ''To Know'', ''Doctor My Eyes'', ''Girl Don't Take Your Love From Me'', ''Little Bitty Pretty One'', ''Children Of The Light'', ''Love Song'', ''Wings Of My Love'', ''Hallelujah Day'', ''Love Is Here And Now You're Gone'', ''People Make The World Go 'round'', ''We've Got A Good Thing Going'', ''What Goes Around Comes Around'', ''Up Again'', ''All The Things You Are'', ''Happy'', ''Too Young'', ''Euphoria'')
  • C♯5 (''Standing In The Shadows Of Love'', ''You've Changed'', ''Stand!'', ''To Sir With Love'', I'm Your Sunny One (He's My Sunny Boy), ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''Give Me Half A Chance'', ''I Hear A Symphony'', ''Never Had A Dream Come True'', ''Ready Or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide From Love)'', ''Oh How Happy''), ''How Funky Is Your Chicken'', ''The Christmas Song'', ''The Little Drummer Boy'', ''Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year'', ''The Wall'', ''I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore'', ''Just Because I Love You'', ''Ain't No Sunshine'', ''Got To Be There'', ''In Our Small Way'', ''Don't Want To See Tomorrow'', ''Everybody's Somebody's Fool'', ''What Goes Around Comes Around'', ''Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day'', ''Music And Me'', ''Up Again'', ''Happy'', ''Morning Glow'', ''Uppermost'', ''You Made Me What I Am'')
  • C5 (''ABC'', ''I Want You Back'', ''Who's Lovin' You'', ''Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah'', ''Nobody'', ''Can You Remember'', ''Stand!'', ''Born To Love You'', ''Reach Out, I'll Be There'', ''To Sir With Love'', ''Oh, I've Been Blessed'', ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''You Can't Hurry Love'', ''That's What Love Is Made Of'', ''Twenty Five Miles'',  ''I Was Made To Love Her'', ''I Hear A Symphony'', ''You Ain't Giving Me What I Want (So I'm Taking it All Back)'', ''Listen I'll Tell You How'', ''Honey Chile'', ''Don't Let Your Baby Catch You'', ''Lavender Blue'', ''Money Honey'', ''The Love You Save'', ''Rockin' Robin'', ''Goin' Back To Indiana'', ''One More Chance'', ''True Love Can Be Beautiful'', ''I'll Bet You'', ''The Young Folks'', ''I'll Be There'', ''Can I See You In The Morning'', ''Mama's Pearl'', ''The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage'', ''Darling Dear'', ''Ask The Lonely'', ''Never Can Say Goodbye'', ''Petals'', ''Just A Little Misunderstanding'', ''Sugar Daddy'', ''Papa Was A Rolling Stone'' (live in Japan 1973), ''Santa Claus Is Coming To Town'', ''The Christmas Song'', ''Up On The House Top'', ''Frosty The Snowman'', ''The Little Drummer Boy'', ''Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year'', ''Give Love On A Christmas Day'', ''Someday At Christmas'', ''Little Christmas Tree'', ''Maybe Tomorrow'', ''The Wall'', ''Sixteen Candles'', ''(We've Got) Blue Skies'', ''My Little Baby'', ''It's Great To Be Here'', ''I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore'', ''Just Because I Love You'', ''Ain't No Sunshine'', ''Got To Be There'', ''Ben'', ''Johnny Raven'', ''Skywriter'', ''To Know'', ''My Girl'', ''Girl Don't Take Your Love From Me'', ''Little Bitty Pretty One'', ''E-Ne-Me-Ne-Mi-Ne-Moe'', ''If I Have To Move A Mountain'', ''Children Of The Light'', ''Love Song'', ''Wings Of My Love'', ''Maria (You Were The Only One)'', ''You've Got A Friend'', ''People Make The World Go 'round'', ''Music And Me'', ''Up Again'', ''Too Young'', ''Euphoria'')

Significant Low Notes:

• B3 (''Never Can Say Goodbye'', ''You Can't Hurry Love'', ''Superstition'' (live in Japan 1973), ''Ben'', ''In Our Small Way'', ''Children Of The Light'', ''Music And Me'')
  • B♭3 (''Born To Love You'',  ''I Was Made To Love Her'', ''Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day'')
  • A3 (''You've Changed'', ''Superstition'' (live in Japan 1973), ''Ben'', ''Johnny Raven'', ''Happy'')
  • G♯3 (''Born To Love You'', ''La-La Means I Love You'', ''Superstition'' (live in Japan 1973), ''Got To Be There'', ''Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day'', ''Morning Glow'')
  • G3 ( ''I Was Made To Love Her'', ''Maria (You Were The Only One)'')
  • F3 (''Born To Love You'')

*Purple marks notes found in backing harmony/Unison or general backing vocal.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

I decided to start a new OP which can be added onto this thread for the period of MJ's Pre puberty and adolescent range. The OP will reflect his voice between the years 1969-1973 (up to when he was approximately 15 and many claim his voice deepened considerably). Any suggestions as to how I can improve this OP are welcome.  I was committed to making this OP as good as possible in respect to MJ.

His entire Jackson 5 and solo discography watched. IT'S FINISHED!

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson

Post  .Bruno on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:16 am

.Bruno

View user profile http://www.topsongs.com.br

Back to top Go down

Post  .Bruno on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:18 am

This is very impressive:

.Bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  .Bruno on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:54 am

Rare song:

.Bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Maffy715 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 am

If he used the whistle register he could maybe have had a 6 octave range.

Maffy715

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Michael's guest vocals here are amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post  .Bruno on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Yeah.

The same song, but in the studio:

.Bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  .Bruno on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Rare studios:

"Jump for Joy" with Jacksons:

.Bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  JadeHalford on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Maffy715 wrote:If he used the whistle register he could maybe have had a 6 octave range.
He had a range spanning from F2(fry) to F6(falsetto)[Come to think of it, i never heard of his falsetto F6 and have no idea which performance of Man in the Mirror it was from. If anyone can post the link, i'd appreciate it very much. Don't post video's, i can't access for some reason, so post links please!], so anyway, that makes a 4 octave total range. If he had a whistle register, the highest i assume he could reach would be a B6, which would make it a 4 and a half octave range. for six octaves, he'd had to go to F8, which would be quite impossible. So... no, he'd never had a six octave range unless he could have gone an octave lower in fry and upto an octave and a half high upto F7 in whistle which i seriously doubt was even possible for him No, no... . No offence, i love MJ. He's one of my favorite singers and had a fantastic voice and range. But remember that range isn't everything. and also, hitting high notes doesn't generally mean you're a good singer.

JadeHalford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 pm

JadeHalford wrote:
[Come to think of it, i never heard of his falsetto F6 and have no idea which performance of Man in the Mirror it was from. If anyone can post the link, i'd appreciate it very much. Don't post video's, i can't access for some reason, so post links please!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-qaXtFoUU0 Right at the end of the video.

Pepe Forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JadeHalford on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:30 pm

pepeforever wrote:
JadeHalford wrote:
[Come to think of it, i never heard of his falsetto F6 and have no idea which performance of Man in the Mirror it was from. If anyone can post the link, i'd appreciate it very much. Don't post video's, i can't access for some reason, so post links please!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-qaXtFoUU0 Right at the end of the video.
Thanks Cheers

JadeHalford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maffy715 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:12 am

JadeHalford wrote:
Maffy715 wrote:If he used the whistle register he could maybe have had a 6 octave range.
He had a range spanning from F2(fry) to F6(falsetto)[Come to think of it, i never heard of his falsetto F6 and have no idea which performance of Man in the Mirror it was from. If anyone can post the link, i'd appreciate it very much. Don't post video's, i can't access for some reason, so post links please!], so anyway, that makes a 4 octave total range. If he had a whistle register, the highest i assume he could reach would be a B6, which would make it a 4 and a half octave range. for six octaves, he'd had to go to F8, which would be quite impossible. So... no, he'd never had a six octave range unless he could have gone an octave lower in fry and upto an octave and a half high upto F7 in whistle which i seriously doubt was even possible for him No, no... . No offence, i love MJ. He's one of my favorite singers and had a fantastic voice and range. But remember that range isn't everything. and also, hitting high notes doesn't generally mean you're a good singer.

But in MJs case, he was a brilliant singer. Now that you mention it, an 8th octave note seems really unlikely. But Axl Rose has a 6 octave range, I thought for sure that MJ would've been able to manage. I'm relatively new to this whole thing.

Maffy715

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JadeHalford on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Maffy715 wrote:
JadeHalford wrote:

But in MJs case, he was a brilliant singer. Now that you mention it, an 8th octave note seems really unlikely. But Axl Rose has a 6 octave range, I thought for sure that MJ would've been able to manage. I'm relatively new to this whole thing.
Well, Axl's a bass-baritone/Low-baritone who could go as low as at least G#1 and as high as , IIRC, G#5 in modal/Full-voice. This is quite wierd but true that though tenors can go pretty high and struggle to go low in most cases, baritones can extend in both sides(high and low) quite a lot. If you observe carefully, you'll see that most of the singers with a "Full" 4-octave ranges are from baritones(Axl rose, Mike Patton ect.). Anything Axl does in the 6th octave or above is whistle indeed, but IIRC, he had a full G#5 which is also the highest Full-voice note of MJ (in Dirty Diana, though i don't know exactly where in the song he did it, it's so hard to differentiate Smile ). So where MJ had a range of 4-octaves in total range [(F2-)F#2-G#5(-F6)], Axl had the same in Full-Voice [G#1-G#5] (Scary affraid Smile ) and could extend down to C#1 in fry and go as high as C#7 in whistle (which i believe is an inhaled note which isn't actually the proper way of phonating in the whistle register, though awesome and feels easier to do so at first) thus receiving a 6 octave range. I don’t think it’s quite possible for a tenor to go as low as G#1 in full voice and it's hard for any male(and most female for that matter) to reach G5 or above in modal voice. So, that Full 4-octave range allowed Axl to extend on either ends quite easily which would be very difficult in MJ's case since he had a 3-octave range in full voice, WITH vocal training almost everyday for that matter, and not 4-octaves.
By The Way, it seems that Tenors can extend their falsetto quite a lot while baritones have to use whistle in most cases to match that same note. MJ had a falsetto F6 which i don't think any baritone has ever hit in falsetto [though a few tenors have been able to reach/surpass this feat. such as Rob Halford, Robert Plant, Jon Bon Jovi etc. Smile ]

JadeHalford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RJORecords on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Michael has low vocals on this one. Do you guys here an Eb2 here???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHd1rLurxNk

RJORecords

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm hearing D2s... Weird as fuck, though. Michael sounds pitch-shifted there, but I have no idea whether I'm correct or not.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top