Billie Holiday

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Billie Holiday

Post  wonka on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Note: Please go here for the current version of this thread.

Billie Holiday

Voice Type: Alto
Total Range: E♭3-F5

Highest notes:

F5 ("I Love You Porgy" Live 1959)
C5 ("Lady Sings The Blues", "All Of Me", "I Love You Porgy" Live 1959, "Riffin' the Scotch")
B4 ("Trav'lin' All Alone", "The Man I Love", "Carelessly", "Body & Soul")
B♭4 ("Riffin' the Scotch", "Trav'lin' All Alone", "I'll Be Seeing You", "The Way You Look Tonight", "Lady Sings The Blues", "Night & Day", "Solitude", "All Of Me", "These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)", "All Of You", "Body & Soul", "I Cried For You")
A4 ("Strange Fruit", "I'm A Fool To Want You", "Autumn In New York", "Trav'lin' All Alone", "The Man I Love", "Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?)", "Carelessly", "All Of Me", "All Of You", "Body & Soul", "I Cried For You", "I Love You Porgy")
G♯4 ("Riffin' the Scotch", "Blue Moon", "Autumn In New York", "Trav'lin' All Alone", "Girls Were Made To Take Care Of Boys", "The Man I Love", "I'll Be Seeing You", "Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?)", "The Way You Look Tonight", "Lady Sings The Blues", "My Man" Live, "Night & Day", "When A Woman Loves A Man", "Solitude", "God Bless The Child", "All Of Me", "These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)", "Body & Soul", "Trav'lin' Light")
G4 ("Strange Fruit", "Blue Moon", "But Beautiful", "I'm A Fool To Want You", "Autumn In New York", "Trav'lin' All Alone", "Girls Were Made To Take Care Of Boys", "The Man I Love", "I'll Be Seeing You", "Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?)", "Lady Sings The Blues", "My Man" Live, "Night & Day", "When A Woman Loves A Man", "Solitude", "Carelessly", "These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)", "All Of Me", "All Of You", "Body & Soul" Live, "Trav'lin' Light", "Don't Explain", "I Love You Porgy")

Lowest notes:

E♭3 ("Blue Moon", "I'm A Fool To Want You", "My Man" Live, "God Bless The Child", "I Love You Porgy")
E3 ("I'm A Fool To Want You", "Don't Explain")
F3 ("Blue Moon", "Autumn In New York", "Girls Were Made To Take Care Of Boys", "I'll Be Seeing You", "Lady Sings The Blues", "My Man" Live, "God Bless The Child", "These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)", "All Of You", "Trav'lin' Light", "P.S I Love You", "I Love You Porgy")
F♯3 ("Strange Fruit", "Blue Moon", "But Beautiful", "Autumn In New York", "Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?)", "My Man" Live, "All Of You")
G3 ("Riffin' the Scotch", "But Beautiful", "I'm A Fool To Want You", "Autumn In New York", "Girls Were Made To Take Care Of Boys", "The Man I Love", "I'll Be Seeing You", "My Man" Live, "Carelessly", "All Of You", "Trav'lin' Light", "Lady Sings The Blues", "P.S I Love You", "I Love You Porgy")
G♯3 ("Riffin' the Scotch", "Blue Moon", "Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?)", "The Way You Look Tonight", "My Man" Live, "Night & Day", "When A Woman Loves A Man", "Solitude", "God Bless The Child", "These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)", "Body & Soul", "Trav'lin' Light", "Don't Explain", "I Love You Porgy")

*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes..

Last edited by wonka on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:12 am; edited 26 times in total

wonka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Billie Holiday

Post  wonka on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Very difficult to pitch her, sometimes her notes sound a little flat or sharp (I guess it's because of the old recording devices), and it makes you doubt about half step above and half step below, along to her peculiar way of singing

Her normal tessitura is always very clear and set: G#3-G#4 (an octave). Small range and tessitura similar to Nat King Cole in woman.

Last edited by wonka on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:18 am; edited 2 times in total

wonka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 am

I sometimes have difficulties pitching in-between notes but when it's sung within my range (and I'm pretty sure I've never heard Billie Holiday hit a note outside my range) I find singing it myself and pitching my version with a tuner to be a useful pitching technique. Nice to see a thread for her: she's an interesting notewatching subject since she is often said to have a very limited range.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:43 am

Definitely a small range but she is a gorgeous singer. I find her singing very earthy and gentle. I think that's a bullshit way to describe her voice but it's the best I can come up with. All and all, a really soothing voice.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:00 am

If you want to I can move the thread right away.

Back to top Go down

Post  wonka on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 am

Sippe wrote:If you want to I can move the thread right away.
it's ok then

wonka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wonka on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 pm

at 2:08 her highest note ever, F5, it sounds like a scream

wonka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content