View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phil Lynott

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 am

Voice type: Buritone
Recorded Vocal Range: B1-C♯6

Significant high notes:

C♯6 ("Sha La La" BBC session 1974)
G♯5 ("Hollywood (Down on Your Luck)")
G5 ("Hollywood (Down on Your Luck)", "Leave This Town")
E5 ("Angel of Death")
D5 ("Try a Little Harder")
C♯5 ("Gonna Creep Up on You" BBC Radio 1 John Peel session", "The Rocker", "Try a Little Harder")
B4 ("Soldier of Fortune", "The Rise and Dear Demise of the Funky Nomadic Tribes")
B♭4 ("Baby Drives Me Crazy", "Call the Police", "Do Anything You Want To", "Fighting My Way Back", "Jailbreak", "Johnny", "Look What the Wind Blew In", "Mama Nature Said", "Massacre", "Remembering")
A4 ("Baby Drives Me Crazy", "Baby Face", "Baby Please Don’t Go", "Bad Habits", "Black Boys on the Corner", "Call the Police", "Downtown Sundown", "Get Out of Here", "Hollywood (Down on Your Luck)", "It's Getting Dangerous", "Killer Without a Cause", "King's Vengeance", "Little Darling", "Look What the Wind Blew In", "Mama Nature Said", "Philomena", "Renegade", "Return of the Farmer's Son", "She Knows", "That Woman's Gonna Break Your Heart", "The Hero and the Madman", "The Holy War", "The Rise and Dear Demise of the Funky Nomadic Tribes", "The Rocker", "This Is the One", "Toughest Street in Town", "Vagabond of the Western World")
G♯4 ("Bad Habits", "Bad Reputation", "Ballad of a Hard Man", "Borderline", "Buffalo Gal", "Chatting Today", "Clifton Grange Hotel", "Cowboy Song", "Diddy Levine", "Do Anything You Want To", "Don't Believe a Word", "Emerald", "Fight or Fall", "Get Out of Here", "Hollywood (Down on Your Luck)", "Jailbreak", "Johnny", "Little Darling", "Mama Nature Said", "No One Told Him", "Opium Trail", "Remembering", "Remembering Part Two (New Day)", "Renegade", "Rocky", "Sarah", "Sha La La" live 1977, "Suicide" live 1977, "Sweetheart", "The Boys Are Back in Town", "Thunder and Lightning", "Toughest Street in Town", "Try a Little Harder", "Wild One")
G4 ("Angel of Death", "Baby Face", "Black Boys on the Corner", "Broken Dreams", "Call the Police", "Cold Black Night", "Cruising in the Lizzymobile", "Dancing in the Moonlight (It's Caught Me in Its Spotlight)", "Don't Play Around", "Fighting My Way Back", "Fools Gold", "Genocide (The Killing of the Buffalo)", "Gonna Creep Up on You", "Heart Attack", "Hey You", "Hollywood (Down on Your Luck)", "Honesty Is No Excuse", "It's Only Money", "Killer on the Loose", "King's Vengeance", "Look What the Wind Blew In", "My Sarah", "Philomena", "Ray-Gun", "Return of the Farmer's Son", "Róisín Dubh (Black Rose): A Rock Legend" Nassau session 1979, "Sitamoia", "Slow Blues", "Soldier of Fortune", "Someday She Is Going to Hit Back", "Spirit Slips Away", "Suicide", "That Woman's Gonna Break Your Heart", "The Rise and Dear Demise of the Funky Nomadic Tribes", "Things Ain't Working Out Down at the Farm", "Thunder and Lightning", "Toughest Street in Town", "Try a Little Harder", "Waiting for an Alibi", "Whiskey in the Jar")
F♯4 ("Angel from the Coast", "Are You Ready", "Baby Drives Me Crazy", "Baby Please Don’t Go", "Chatting Today", "Chinatown" live in Cork 1980, "Clifton Grange Hotel", "Cold Sweat", "Dear Lord", "Diddy Levine", "Didn't I", "Do Anything You Want To", "Don't Believe a Word", "Fighting My Way Back", "For Those Who Love to Live", "Freedom Song", "Get Out of Here", "Got to Give It Up", "Half Caste", "Having a Good Time", "It's Getting Dangerous", "Johnny", "Killer on the Loose", "Killer Without a Cause", "King's Vengeance", "Massacre", "Me and the Boys", "Mexican Blood", "My Sarah", "Night Life", "No One Told Him", "Old Flame", "Old Moon Madness", "Please Don't Leave Me", "Remembering Part Two (New Day)", "Renegade", "Rockula (Rock Your Love)", "Rocky", "Romeo and the Lonely Girl", "Roisin Dubh (Black Rose): A Rock Legend", "Running Back", "Sarah", "She Knows", "Showdown", "Silver Dollar", "Southbound", "Suicide", "Sweetheart" soundcheck at the Hammersmith Odeon 1980, "The Holy War", "Thunder and Lightning", "Toughest Street in Town", "Try a Little Harder", "Vagabond of the Western World", "We Will Be Strong", "With Love")

Significant low notes:

C3 ("Fats", "Frankie Carroll", "Out in the Fields", "Showdown", "Sitamoia", "The Sun Goes Down", "This Is the One")
B2 ("A Song for While I'm Away", "Baby Please Don’t Go", "Bad Habits", "Dear Heart", "Didn't I", "Dublin", "Fight or Fall", "Half Caste", "Here I Go Again", "Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed", "Mexican Blood", "Please Don't Leave Me", "Rudolph's Tango", "South Bound", "This is the One", "With Love")
B♭2 ("Do Anything You Want To", "Got to Give It Up", "Saga of the Aging Orphan")
A2 ("Dear Heart", "Frankie Carroll", "Half Caste", "Here I Go Again", "It's Getting Dangerous", "Showdown", "Sitamoia", "Southbound", "The Sun Goes Down", "Vagabond of the Western World")
G♯2 ("A Song for While I'm Away", "Bad Habits", "Cowboy Song", "Fight or Fall", "Get Out of Here", "Mexican Blood", "Please Don't Leave Me", "Saga of the Aging Orphan", "The Holy War", "Things Ain't Working Out Down at the Farm")
G2 ("Broken Dreams", "Do Anything You Want To", "Frankie Carroll", "Renegade", "Showdown", "The Sun Goes Down")
F♯2 ("Bad Reputation", "Dear Heart" BBC session 1974, "Don't Hurt Me This Way (Please Don't Leave Me '97)", "Fools Gold", "Got to Give it Up", "King's Call", "Old Moon Madness", "Renegade", "The Holy War")
F2 ("Boogie Woogie Dance", "Cowboy Song", "Saga of the Aging Orphan", "The Friendly Ranger at Clontorf Castle")
E2 ("Chatting Today", "Dear Heart" BBC session 1974, "Frankie Carroll", "Leave This Town", "Mexican Blood", "Night Life", "Old Moon Madness", "Sweetheart", "The Friendly Ranger at Clontorf Castle", "The Holy War")
E♭2 ("Bad Reputation", "Don't Believe a Word" slow version, "Fools Gold", "Killer on the Loose" live at the Hammersmith Odeon 1981, "Old Moon Madness")
D2 ("Out in the Fields", "Renegade", "The Sun Goes Down")
C♯2 ("Mexican Blood")
C2 ("Out in the Fields")
B1 ("Showdown" BBC 1 Bob Harris session)

*Purple marks notes sung in backing vocals or otherwise obscured/muffled in the mix.
*Blue marks soft falsetto notes.
*Electric fuchsia marks clear whistle notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

- Thread by Ray

Last edited by The Scrotumizer 2013 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:53 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil Lynott

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:42 am

No G4s in "Whiskey in the Jar"? Cool Notes.

Also, why other thread/what happened to the other?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:43 am

Jerki Jerkinnen wrote:No G4s in "Whiskey in the Jar"? Cool Notes.

Link?

Jerki Jerkinnen wrote:Also, why other thread/what happened to the other?

It was crappy. And this came from the original creator of the thread, Ray, who decided to re-create it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 am

0:45 and a whole lot through the song.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stoner on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:40 am

Bunch of F4's in the chorus.
Sounds like a A#4 at 2:17 "Breakout"
Stoner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spydr on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:27 am

Yes, "Jailbreak" has an A#/Bb4 on "Breakout!".
He's definitely gone higher than A4, I even recall a thread having more Bb4s.

Spydr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Out In The Fields

Post  Clem on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:36 am

Can't believe there isn't anything for 'Out In The Fields'. Phil's verse melodies go down to C3 (not that low a note for him, but they sound very bassy), and then his backing vocals in the chorus bottom out at D2, with some nice spoken D2s in there as well ('No flag has ever stopped a bullet... from a gun').
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:41 am

Yeah this is one of those old TRP1 threads that wasn't very thoroughly researched, there's pretty much nothing from "Black Rose" either even tho there are tons of note on that album (I recall B2s in "With Love" and some F♯2s in the backing vox of "Got to Give it Up"), I also recall a live version of "The Sun Goes Down" where he hit a sung C♯2, I'll see if I can find it later.
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 am

Sandblasted wrote:Yeah this is one of those old TRP1 threads that wasn't very thoroughly researched, there's pretty much nothing from "Black Rose" either even tho there are tons of note on that album (I recall B2s in "With Love" and some F♯2s in the backing vox of "Got to Give it Up"), I also recall a live version of "The Sun Goes Down" where he hit a sung C♯2, I'll see if I can find it later.
What are the plans regarding these old threads?
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:02 am

Aleksiempainen wrote:Phil's verse melodies go down to C3 (not that low a note for him, but they sound very bassy)
Any note that sounds bassy can be counted as a low note, if you ask me.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:15 am

Abacus wrote:
Aleksiempainen wrote:Phil's verse melodies go down to C3 (not that low a note for him, but they sound very bassy)
Any note that sounds bassy can be counted as a low note, if you ask me.
Yeah, I suppose they could be open to debate. What someone considers bassy someone else might not hear it that way. Pitches are a lot easier to draw a line under as low or not. But if it sounds low then it could go to a discussion and it could be decided from there.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Like most things on this forum, I think it's ultimately dependent on how the person who's documenting the singer's range views it.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Anyone check his stuff on the album Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds?

I hear few sung F4s and G4s here, just casually notewatching. More spoken parts too, but not sure if there's anything noteworthy in those bits...
Btw, that's an excellent album. It's, like the title suggests, a musical adaptation of the War of the Worlds book, with spoken parts by Richard Burton(!!), as well as vocals by Phil, Justin Hayward from The Moody Blues, Chris Thompson from Manfred Mann's Earth Band, David Essex, and Julie Covington. It's very good, definitely check it out.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun May 11, 2014 10:22 am

Can't believe this was never mentioned (probably their best known song)
F4s in the choruses and at 2.28 is a good example of the G♯4s within this song.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun May 11, 2014 10:29 am

0.45=F♯4
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun May 11, 2014 10:32 am

0.45 F♯4s
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oscar J on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:51 am

There are tons of A4's, a Bb4 belt and some weird gritty 5th octave growling in "The Rocker".

Oscar J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top