Post  GeezerButler on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:31 am

Ronnie James Dio for sure.

GeezerButler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Sabbath

Post  Monocus on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 am

It's Ronnie for me, too.
Although I have to say all of them were great singers, and all of the different eras produced great albums.
And btw Hughes was never a member of the band.
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:44 am

Monocus wrote:It's Ronnie for me, too.
Although I have to say all of them were great singers, and all of the different eras produced great albums.
And btw Hughes was never a member of the band.

Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 am

I have to choose Dio. By the way, what he's referring to with Hughes is that the album he recorded with Iommi was meant to be a Tony Iommi solo album, but at the last minute, the record company insisted on putting labeling it "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi." They did tour under the name Black Sabbath, but it's obvious from listening to the album that it wasn't written as a Black Sabbath album, though I think it's a good album.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:31 am

Still Black Sabbath.
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Pretty close tie between Ronnie James Dio and Tony Martin for me, but leaning towards the former...
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Rodney Razorshorts wrote:Still Black Sabbath.
Tony said Glenn was never a member of the band (at That Metal Show).
So he wasn't.
OldSchoolHeavyMetal already explained the story behind this.
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Abacus wrote:Pretty close tie between Ronnie James Dio and Tony Martin for me, but leaning towards the former...

I was pretty much thinking the same, but did in fact end up voting Dio.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cro on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:14 am

Liked Dio most, but they wrote the best songs during Ozzy era, so I voted Ozzy.

Last edited by Cro on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cro
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick31 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 am

Dio!
Maverick31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 am

Monocus wrote:
So he wasn't.

Yeah, except that he sang on a Black Sabbath record, hence earning the "Black Sabbath vocalist" moniker.
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 am

I voted Martin by simple virtue of I like his voice the most and the music done with him the most. Granted I also think the Ozzy era had much of their best music, but as a singer Ozzy doesn't compare with Martin.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonfripp on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:51 pm

My favourite Sabbath albums are the Ozzy ones, but my favourite Sabbath singer is Dio by far.

Crimsonfripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:58 am

My favorite Sabbath albums are actually the Dio albums. The Mob Rules probably being the best, and Dehumanizer being the heaviest and perhaps my personal favorite. The Ozzy albums were obviously more significant, though and I think they're both comparable in quality. Songs like Sympton Of The Universe, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Into The Void, Electric Funeral and the band's title song were way ahead of their time with some of the greatest riffs to this day.

By the way, I've always wondered what an album with Halford would have sounded like. They were originally supposed to record something after Halford replaced Dio, but Halford ended up doing Fight instead. Don't remember if it was because of contractual obligations, or a personal choice. I'm a big Tony Martin fan, but I can't help but wonder about a Sabbath album with Halford.

Rodney Razorshorts wrote:
Monocus wrote:
So he wasn't.

Yeah, except that he sang on a Black Sabbath record, hence earning the "Black Sabbath vocalist" moniker.

I don't object to you including him. I'm just saying that it's pretty easy to see why Glenn himself and others don't consider him to have been a Black Sabbath singer. Technically, you're right that the album was under the name Black Sabbath, but it's also the only album to say "featuring Tony Iommi" which in itself differentiates it from other Sabbath albums and suggests more of a solo project.

Ray Gillen was at least as much of a Sabbath vocalist as Hughes considering he joined the band when they were intended to be Sabbath, toured under the name, and recorded with them, his recordings having now finally seen an official release.

Again, I don't really care if someone considers Hughes a Sabbath vocalist or not, I just don't think it's unreasonable to have either opinion.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:22 pm

OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:My favorite Sabbath albums are actually the Dio albums. The Mob Rules probably being the best, and Dehumanizer being the heaviest and perhaps my personal favorite. The Ozzy albums were obviously more significant, though and I think they're both comparable in quality. Songs like Sympton Of The Universe, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Into The Void, Electric Funeral and the band's title song were way ahead of their time with some of the greatest riffs to this day.
Hm, interesting. Their Ozzy albums definitely take the prize for me, just because the songwriting was so great back then...especially on albums like Sabotage. I'll admit that Technical Ecstasy was a pretty forgettable album, though, and Never Say Die! was a bit cluttered with its sense of organization/direction as an album...even if it did have some very good individual songs. But yeah, the first few albums are just classic doomy Sabbath, and the experimentation that they got into after that was really cool too. I can't say I've ever really heard any other kind of metal that I can compare to what Sabbath do on Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, just cause it's so unique. Dio era Sabbath had some really good songs, but nothing they did ever compared to that kind of uniqueness, which is likewise true for any incarnation of Sabbath after that. I also really love some of the Tony Martin era albums, but again, those were just really good for what they were...but they couldn't touch the originality of '70s Sabbath.
OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:By the way, I've always wondered what an album with Halford would have sounded like. They were originally supposed to record something after Halford replaced Dio, but Halford ended up doing Fight instead. Don't remember if it was because of contractual obligations, or a personal choice. I'm a big Tony Martin fan, but I can't help but wonder about a Sabbath album with Halford.
You know he did a gig with them once in the '90s or something, right? I think the recording's on YouTube. I know that's not quite the same thing, but I figured it would be worth mentioning.
OldSchoolHeavyMetal wrote:
Rodney Razorshorts wrote:
Monocus wrote:
So he wasn't.

I don't object to you including him. I'm just saying that it's pretty easy to see why Glenn himself and others don't consider him to have been a Black Sabbath singer. Technically, you're right that the album was under the name Black Sabbath, but it's also the only album to say "featuring Tony Iommi" which in itself differentiates it from other Sabbath albums and suggests more of a solo project.

Ray Gillen was at least as much of a Sabbath vocalist as Hughes considering he joined the band when they were intended to be Sabbath, toured under the name, and recorded with them, his recordings having now finally seen an official release.

Again, I don't really care if someone considers Hughes a Sabbath vocalist or not, I just don't think it's unreasonable to have either opinion.
The Seventh Star was as much of a Black Sabbath album as The System Has Failed was a Megadeth album. Make of that as you will.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonfripp on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I do believe Gillen should be on the poll. An amazing singer, pity it wasn't to be.

Crimsonfripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:48 am

Yeah, Gillen had an incredible voice. But I'm happy with how the Sabbath thing worked out because I really like the Tony Martin albums, and I'm a big fan of the Badlands albums.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Bolton.

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 am

The Crucifier 2013 wrote:Bolton.

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:25 am

affraid

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:23 am

The Crucifier 2013 wrote:Bolton.

Shit, I had heard that years ago and had completely forgotten! It's not as crazy as many think it sounds when you listen to his earlier material, and he obviously had the talent. I've also heard that Coverdale was asked, and Ron Keel auditioned(claimed he was actually hired briefly)

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  INFINITE POTATO on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:50 am

I did Ozzy Osbourne because that was my favorite Sabbath era with the doom metal styled-songs. In a battle of the best singer (in my opinion) DIO
INFINITE POTATO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:59 am

Not a big fan of the band, but I like them, and most of the songs I like are from the Ozzy era and sung by Ozzy (including the new album).

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top